Vista services...

Author
geetsifly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
2009/05/27 10:33:16 (permalink)

Vista services...

Hi,

I am running Sonar 7.0.2 on Vista 32 SP2, dual core AMD 2.5ghz chip, 4Gb RAM and 2 drives one for system one for audio. All drivers are up to date.

I have never been happy with my system performance when I compare my system to the benchmark postings I have seen. I am curious if I missed something big in Vista. If possible I would love to see for vista based studio running in a commercial environment:

What services do you have enabled in Vista (even a screen shot of the list would be fine) ?
Do you run with zero, one or more paging files?
Do you give priority to forground or background processes?
Aero on or off?

If all of this is available in a "gospel" vista tweak posting somewhere that would work as well.

Thanks,

George

5 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Vista services... 2009/05/27 10:52:58 (permalink)
    You may want to check out Scott Garrigus site digifreq (http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/) as well as the optimization guide on the Line 6 site (here). Also there are some great resources on the Sound on Sound site and here in this forum. Just do a search on Vista optimization.

One thing I can say about background services with Vista is that the settings can be different from one machine to the next. My Studio DAW runs with background services prioritized over programs and works great this way. My mobile platform (an Hp laptop) is the exact opposite.

Services I have enabled are the least of the issues I addressed. Rather I edited the processes that I allow to run on my DAW so I don't have to fool with the machine every time I start it up.

Lastly, based upon some input from this forum I have also loaded the SP2 beta which has addressed some stability and performance issues.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

twinkielk15
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Vista services... 2009/05/27 12:27:29 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5.3 Producer Edition
    Axiom 61
    Edirol UA-25  
    Behringer Truth B2030A
    AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz Quad-Core
    4GB DDR3 - 1066 RAM
    Windows 7 64-BIT
    cdickey
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Vista services... 2009/05/27 16:52:27 (permalink)
    What specific aspect of the performance don't you like?

Aero is supposed to offload as much work to the graphics card as possible which should be a good thing.

The Cakewalk people have publicly stated that a lot of work went into making Sonar 8.3.1 more efficient. User experiences have shown that to be true.

If you run the DPC latency checker, what kind of readings do you see? If only a very rare few go over the 1000us (1 ms) level, then you are in good shape. If the levels are higher or you often see high values over 1ms, then you need to start looking at services or installed software that might be a problem.
    PaPi
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Vista services... 2009/05/27 17:25:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: geetsifly

Hi,

I am running Sonar 7.0.2 on Vista 32 SP2, dual core AMD 2.5ghz chip, 4Gb RAM and 2 drives one for system one for audio. All drivers are up to date.

I have never been happy with my system performance when I compare my system to the benchmark postings I have seen. I am curious if I missed something big in Vista. If possible I would love to see for vista based studio running in a commercial environment:

What services do you have enabled in Vista (even a screen shot of the list would be fine) ?
    Do you run with zero, one or more paging files?
    Do you give priority to forground or background processes?
    Aero on or off?

If all of this is available in a "gospel" vista tweak posting somewhere that would work as well.

Thanks,

George

Remember that all these tweaks only achieve INSIGNIFICANT TO MARGINAL performance gains. If you aren't satisfied with the performance and the deficiencies are noticeable, your computer (or some of its components), your interface or both are probably not strong enough for your needs. Or maybe you need more RAM. Still, the solution is most likely in the hardware...
    post edited by PaPi - 2009/05/27 17:37:21
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Vista services... 2009/05/27 17:42:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaPi

Remember that all these tweaks only achieve INSIGNIFICANT TO MARGINAL performance gains. If you aren't satisfied with the performance and the deficiencies are noticeable, your computer (or some of its components), your interface or both are probably not strong enough for your needs. Or maybe you need more RAM. Still, the solution is most likely in the hardware...

Tend to agree here. Certain motherboards are known to be troublesome and certain AMD chips aren't as efficient as others. I don't think there is enough information really to point to one thing or another..... Like which motherboard, which AMD processor, how fast is the RAM, what speed is the FSB, any info on the graphics, etc.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1