What CD brand do you burn to?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2009/06/03 13:38:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: strikinglyhandsome1

Verbatim - it went like this

Me: What have you got?
Asst: Verbatim
Me: I'll take some

Ha Some years ago, our local OfficeMax store used to advertise in the local Sunday Tribune. You could always count on a special freebee deal from them on CDR's - the deal was "free after mail-in rebate". They did this for years. Same thing with those slim-line cases. Every Sunday I'd watch for the ad and if I saw it, I'd run down there right away and buy a stack. Mail in the rebate form and 6 weeks later the check would arrive. Technically, I didn't pay for CDR's for a couple of years. I guess these were loss leaders. Eventually they stopped doing that so I had to start actually buying them again. But I never had an issue with those generic freebee CDRs. Went to press with quite a few of them. Never a complaint. I'm sure if you ran the tests, they wouldn't pass muster but if they work, they work. If there was a sound quality difference I couldn't tell.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2009/06/04 12:47:14 (permalink)
I deal with a lot of older programs that get recycled into our programming at a classical radio station. Before, these were archived on to cheap disks like Memorex and Office Depot brand. About 25% of these disks now have corrupted or unreadable information. I got the station to switch to Taiyo Yuden CD's

The generic cheapo disk work fine for a while, but they sometimes have a shelf life of your average lightbulb.
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/07/26 22:16:15 (permalink)
Resurrecting this thread from about a year ago...

I'm stressing becasue I need to burn off 50 printable CD's for Wednesday.  I bought a spindle of Staples brand and they are all failing.  The project does work when I try burning to other CD's.  Hopefully, I can find something at the store tomorrow that will work.  If I had the time, I would get some TY's but I gotta get them done Wednesday.  Yikes! 

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/07/27 06:48:04 (permalink)
I've had good luck with the Ink Jet Printable Verbatim's that Sam's Club sells.  Right now I'm using Ritek ink jet printable and they also seem to be doing OK.  Taiyo Uden is probably the best but they do cost more.  

On the Dell users forum, we find Memorex, TDK, and many store brands to be the most troublesome. 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/07/27 08:27:31 (permalink)
I needed to burn something the other night for some people..... I used the HP disks.... I ended up scrapping 2 before I finished burning a total of 2 CD's.

However,  in all fairness, I think the computer had a crappy boot up..... because I rebooted and it burned just fine. I have not had much problem with the lower quality brands all things considered.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/27 08:28:34

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
itsmeRG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/08/14 23:04:14 (permalink)
I have had good results with Memorex CDs for years. I have had issues with Maxell CDs not playing in an old CD player (in a component stereo system). I went back to Memorex and had no problems. Maxell always made my favorite cassettes, so I expected the CDs to be trouble free. When I mastered my CD, I bought some gold Apogee discs and the PC would not burn them. I don't know what the story was there, but I went back to Memorex and had no problems.
post edited by itsmeRG - 2010/08/14 23:06:27

GUITAR ... AND PLENTY OF IT

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RICHIEGRIMES
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/08/14 23:25:41 (permalink)
I've had failures happen on the road, 6 hours from home when we were using those CD's as backing tracks for my team's vocals.  I had 2 CD's one was backup.  they both failed even tho I had tested them before we left - they didn't work in the CD player that the church had that we arrived at!  luckily also had the waves on a laptop harddrive and burned them again while I was there.

ever since that failure I've not used any CD's for audio except Tayio Yuden's and I've never had that problem again.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: RE: What CD brand do you burn to? 2010/08/17 05:58:18 (permalink)
Jeff, picking a phrase from last years post, what do you actually mean by this? :

Some brands like Verbatum lost all its dye and there was nothing left! The best CD's in the world were Mitsui Gold (at the time) and they make a special one only for that Library in Australia. (All the data was intact and the error rates on slightly higher)

By "dye" do you mean the surface printing? Did that effect error rate?

Do you really mean Verbatum, not Verbatim? Verbatim, as far as I know, is manufactured by Tayo Yuden and is regarded one of the best brands (in Europe at least). It's my favourite brand with TY originals.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1