VS700 extender??

Author
Zazkuash
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 144
2009/06/03 03:42:33 (permalink)

VS700 extender??

Im going to buy new equipment for my studio. I need at least 24 faders . I like to see extenders for the VS700 !! Cakewalk Please !!

10 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/03 09:20:36 (permalink)
    You dont need extenders. The beauty of the V 700 is that it can represent heaps of tracks and busses and other things. No amount of extenders is going to help. You have to let go of the idea of needing 32 faders in front of you in order to control a 32 channel mix for example. It switches banks so fast and easy and the display is always telling you what tracks you are looking at. Also Sonar is also showing what group of tracks you are looking at. They have designed it to be the size it is (and it is not that small either) so they will not be extending it I imagine.

You can get any large mix down to a group of busses. At the end of the day it is the busses you are tweaking not so much individial tracks. And although you can have a lot of busses, even 8 is enough to cope with any mix no matter how complex it is. And you can see 8 of them all in one go anyway.

I had a large format analog console and I was worried about being able to adapt to the V Studio but it is easy and second nature now.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Zazkuash
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/05 04:06:41 (permalink)
    Yes I agree with you !!. But the clients want to see more faders. Mackie controls or other control surfaces can switch the banks, but have extenders, only for extra control, to push less the banks buttons, and for "the look" . If i use the Vstudio only for my projects, i dont need extenders, but, for business reasons I NEED EXTENDERS ! hehehe
    javaj
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/05 13:51:23 (permalink)
    wow- sad ain't it? So do they expect to see stands and racks of hardware synths? I guess vsti's would cause the same issue?

Novation X-Station 61, Korg R3,Roland Sonic Cell (SRX-07, SRX-09), Roland RS-9, Roland Handsonic HPD-10, Korg Nanokey Mackie 1402-VLZ, Audio Tecnica AT3525 Mic, Presonus AudioBox USB, Sonar 8 PE, NI Komplete 5, Hardcore Harmonic's PRIZM, MDrummer.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/05 16:03:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Zazkuash

Yes I agree with you !!. But the clients want to see more faders. Mackie controls or other control surfaces can switch the banks, but have extenders, only for extra control, to push less the banks buttons, and for "the look" . If i use the Vstudio only for my projects, i dont need extenders, but, for business reasons I NEED EXTENDERS ! hehehe

I can tell you this:

The VS-700C takes up as much surface space as a Mackie+expander and IMO looks at least as impressive on the desk if not more so (no sleight to Mackie). It's osmething to consider. If you haven't seen and felt a VS-700 in person, I would highly recommend doing so.

So maybe consider taking into account the overall footprint and sex-appeal of the surface versus basing solely on number of faders.

Something to think about anyway.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/05 22:33:22 (permalink)
    The WOW factor is a thing of the past. Many of my clients are not even in the same city or country so it does not matter. I agree with Brandon, the console looks fantastic and is impressive in itself.

The WOW factor comes into play when you hit the play button and they are listening to your killer track through your killer monitors.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Zazkuash
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/06 15:26:15 (permalink)
    wow- sad ain't it? So do they expect to see stands and racks of hardware synths? I guess vsti's would cause the same issue?

If you want to work with a fan of analogue synths, yes. But in that point I have 88keys, 61, 49 and 25 controlers, and Akai controler and it doesnt matter.
    I have analoque preamps of Universal Audio, Manley, TUbe tech and Focusrite , in the mix i work with plug ins of Cakewalk, UAD, Focusrite and others.

The WOW factor is a thing of the past. Many of my clients are not even in the same city or country so it does not matter. I agree with Brandon, the console looks fantastic and is impressive in itself.

The WOW factor comes into play when you hit the play button and they are listening to your killer track through your killer monitors.

3 or 4 of 5 of my clients come with me because they know my job or they work with me in the past, but the rest watch the pics on the web, or visit the studio and almost always is the same history --" In the recording studio of X person they have a BIIIG console, why is this so small?? Do you have PROTOOOOOLS" And we need to explain the Banks thing, the advantages of working with Dual Quad Xeon Sonar with UADs and powercore vs. HD and push the play for the WOW show hehehe
    With the answer of Brandon i could thing that cakewalk doesnt going to develop the extenders. I dont like to work with protools, but they have ICONs "with extenders"" ( the most expensive MOUSE of the world) and for the low budget studios de C24 . If you put the C24 or a mackie control with 3 extenders in front of V-Studio without extenders , is obvious who loose in the first impression.

And other thing is that we could use the mouse and the keyboard for the same results, but is FASTER with a control surface and even FASTER pushing less times the BANK buttons , with four 24"monitors vs one 17"monitor and others phisical interfaces
    Zazkuash
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/06 15:39:37 (permalink)
    And im not the only one . I want to have something like this http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1738065
    Jon Con
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/06/08 06:42:38 (permalink)
    I know I made the mash up of the extenders but heres a quote from the Tony Maserati Q&A forum on Gearslutz that ran for a while recently, some one asked him why he was only using a pro control and not something bigger

Thanks for your question. I'd love a D-Command. I really don't need more than 8 faders tho. I'm quite fast at banking to what I need.

I did the original mash up to kill some time and because others have been asking about the possibility of adding extenders to the console. Personally I'd rather get the VS700c and then see if I needed more at a later date. I also need the strength of the pound to get better than it currently is.

Jon Con
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    Re: RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/07/28 09:14:07 (permalink)
    while I agree with the 8 faders things, I would aslo consider it if it had extenders, what about dub mixers?
    frankandfree
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re: RE: VS700 extender?? 2009/07/29 02:52:53 (permalink)
    My feeling is: mixing on 8 faders plus bank up/down is much like playing piano on a 25-key-controller.

In the studio we work with MCU and two fader extenders. My personal preference is one extender ( to the right of the main module) to access busses and/or auxes exclusively. The other extender (to the left) will be switched between what you call "Channel branching" and normal track mode, according to the momentary need. It also happens that I switch the main module to "branching" as well, when I happen to tweak on plugins with many parameters.

Getting these extenders was definitely a big step forward in terms of working ease. My colleagues and I certainly don't want want to miss one single channel strip.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1