Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation?

Author
bluespoet
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2009/06/06 17:01:57 (permalink)

Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation?

I hope I got the product number right, but is the basic usb stereo audio interface.
I have been in hell trying to get Sonar to work with my computer. I have spent HOURS with Cakewalk support (thank you cakewalk support). My main interface is a Yamaha i88x which is firewire mlan and the driver is not good. So Yamaha said they were going to come out with proper 64 bit drivers, but never did and never will. The preamps in the i88x are excellent and so with a new audio usb interface that works well with Sonar everything should be peachy. Ok, my question is that this new cakewalk audio interface will handle the audio only from the Yamaha, but is it a quality interface that can handle the quality from the yamaha preamps? Then will it play nicely with sonar.
If this sounds great at around $100 and plays nicely with Sonar (no driver issues) then it will be heaven for me and allow me to use Sonar. I don't need an interface with mike preamps as I already have very nice ones. I just want to know what to expect from the sound of the Cakewalk unit

8 Replies Related Threads

Fret Wizz
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/07 04:21:47 (permalink)
    The UA-1G would would not work in conjunction with the i88x
    but would completely replace the i88x as the audio interface for
    your system.

Forget the i88x it's obsolete.
    bluespoet
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/07 20:41:01 (permalink)
    Fret thanks for the reply, not exactly the answer I wanted.
    The interface of the i88x is essentially dead due to driver issues, but the two microphone pres are superb and way above what pesonsus and mackie etc in terms of quality.. I can use it as a Mike pre, but not as an interface, so my question is still not addressed about the quality of the Calkwalk interface and its compatability with Sonar. I am not going to throw away my two best mike pres in the i88x, it is still great for that, but I am replacing the interface.
    So if you have an opinion or maybe someone else can answer the question. BTW instead of dismissing the i88x and thinking of it just as a mike pre, it is the biggest bargain that I know of used. These are yamahas best mike preamps and unit org sold for more than a grand
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/07 20:57:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bluespoet
    These are yamahas best mike preamps and unit org sold for more than a grand

so did the 2 soundcards I use by them.. well they weren't cheap anyway..hhmmm if you need the drivers to access the i-o, then you couldn't use it regardless.. hopefully that makes sense..

at the time they might have been good pre's / converters.. but now there maybe better.. sometimes , well you have to just move on to something new.. I did, saves a lot of hassle.. I don't buy yamaha products soundcard wise due to how they acted with slowness in getting drivers ready in the past.

it was out from jan 2005? so I'm surprised it's hasn't got drivers as it's not legacy..yet is it?

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/07 21:12:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bluespoet

Fret thanks for the reply, not exactly the answer I wanted.
    The interface of the i88x is essentially dead due to driver issues, but the two microphone pres are superb and way above what pesonsus and mackie etc in terms of quality.. I can use it as a Mike pre, but not as an interface, so my question is still not addressed about the quality of the Calkwalk interface and its compatability with Sonar. I am not going to throw away my two best mike pres in the i88x, it is still great for that, but I am replacing the interface.
    So if you have an opinion or maybe someone else can answer the question. BTW instead of dismissing the i88x and thinking of it just as a mike pre, it is the biggest bargain that I know of used. These are yamahas best mike preamps and unit org sold for more than a grand

Ok, i`ll try and answer, firstly the UA series were designed around and to work with SONAR, so you`ll have no probs with compatability. I use the UA-4fx and love it and i also have the M16DX. I`m not sure how much if any quality you would lose running the i88x through the UA-1G but you`ll probably be better with the UA-4fx, now if you want somethin that`s a really good interface but also an excellent control surface for Sonar then you can`t beat the M16DX.
    post edited by alkie - 2009/06/07 21:27:40

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Fret Wizz
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/08 02:17:12 (permalink)
    So the various USB/Firewire drivers for the i88x on this page don't work?

I s'pose you could take the line outs of the i88x and feed them into the UA-G1.

I don't have a UA-G1 myself so I can't vouch for the quality of it's input.

But that shouldn't be a problem if you were using the mic pres in the i88x
    into UA-G1 and then the UA-G1's USB interface to connect to the PC.

Might be worth running that idea by one of the Cakewalk guys...see what they say....

post edited by Fret Wizz - 2009/06/08 02:30:08
    bluespoet
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/08 16:00:49 (permalink)
    I won't describe the hell I have been put through and also the hours that cakewalk support has spent on me to help me use the i88x. The fact is the preamps on the i88x are superb and you are right I plan to take the line outs and use it strictly as a mike pre and forget the mlan, midi and interface functions. The problem for Yamaha was that they made a product that was too expensive for the market and then didn't give it good drivers. I think they had the right concept, they gave two excellent mike preamps and mlan network with firewire audio converters. The problem is that firewire is problematic by nature and that is why even apple is going to usb. Then the drivers sucked. Yamaha promised 64 bit drivers for vista and then dropped the ball. Kind of like how Cakewalk dropped the ball on their Studiomix product.
    I think both Yamaha and the cakewalk studiomix were great ideas that could have made it with a little more support. So how all this applies today, I don't want to go thru hell anymore and I am sticking with Sonar6 which I can't use at the moment due to the lack of a proper driver or a new interface. I can highly recommend people buying a used i88x for the preamps only. They will get a bargain. It seems to me that feeding an audio signal into the new cakewalk interface will solve my interface problems, but I want to insure that I am getting a quality audio product here. The price is cheap and that is great. Like many products you can get 80% of the quality for 20% of the cost and that is a great value. I wonder if the cakewalk interface are like that. I do not expect it to sound as good as a apogee converter that costs $2k, but if the cakewalk converters are pretty transparent, then it is worth it to me. I have spent too much time and money and too much time of cakewalk support at this point not to seek a more compatable system for me. I do not wish to spend my life on support, but to actually use Sonar. The solution that cakewalk support came up for me was using WDM for playback and having to switch to ASIO for recording. It would not playback under Asio and would not record under WDM and the whole experience was so frustrating, I gave up.
    Unfortunately like many in this country, I am not only unemployed but on disability. So an expensive solution is not available to me. So I can raise a $100 in 3 months to buy a new interface, but if that interface sounds grainy and gives me trouble, I cannot afford this kind of situation anymore, so am looking for some opinion from people who use the cakewalk interface and can comment from experience and knowledge if it is the bargain it seems to be
    I appreciate any advice as well as all advice given to this point
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/08 16:15:04 (permalink)
    So I can raise a $100 in 3 months

If you know where to get a UA-1G for $100 please tell me. I've only seen street price of $199.

PS. Not sure you meant $100 for a UA-1G but I thought I'd ask.
    Richard Fey
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 650
    RE: Is the Cakewalk UA-1G my sonar salvation? 2009/06/08 16:28:20 (permalink)
    Buy one and try it. I wouldn't expect miracles from a $100 audio interface. It's such a new product there probably aren't a lot of people that have one and I haven't owned one long enough to offer an opinion, but I doubt I'll be using it for anything mission critical. Right-off I can tell you it doesn't have a +4dBu I/O. If you don't like it, the online shops have generous return policies on non-defective goods.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1