Using the VS 700 R with external devices

Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2009/06/29 16:46:21 (permalink)

Using the VS 700 R with external devices

The VS 700 R Interface is very versatile. It allows you to easily connect to any external devices that you may have and want to use as part of your production. Controlling the amount of your mix that is digital and what part is analog is a powerful feature of the V Studio system.

I started out with an all digital signal path after coming from a very all analog signal path and found the sound to be clear and better than what I was hearing before. But recently I patched the VS 700 R up to a Tascam analog mixer (24 IN/ 10 OUT) This allows for any signals that are patched to those outputs on the VS 700 R ( 5 stereo pairs) to receive analog channel strip sound, including EQ any aux sends to effects processors, inserts over channels etc. It all interfaces well with minimal noise, hum or earth loops. Signals are returned to the analog inputs on the VS 700 R and can enter the final mix coming in on tracks or going there via the direct mixer. There are no latency issues with the signal returns. If any of your analog signal devices have digital outputs, those signals can also be easily returned to the VS 700 R via its two digital inputs. You can totally disconnect from the analog side of your setup too and remove it completely and return to an all digital signal path and sound.

The other mixer inputs are used for outputs from Kurzweil K2000R and well as EMU ESI 4000 sampler in my case. It is great having extra external devices, the VS 700 R midi IN/OUT handles any devices like that easily. Sonar synths are great, Fantom is great and adding in a killer and classy instrument like a Kurzweil can really add to your music production power. There are no midi timing delays (eg very fast response) and these extra synths are not taxing any of your valuable CPU resources either.

Some potential V Studio buyers might have either a small or large amount of analog signal processing. It all connects well and just adds to the versaility of the system as a whole.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/06/29 19:08:21

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

2 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: Using the VS 700 R and other audio interfaces 2009/06/30 17:45:39 (permalink)
    If you already own another great interface with lots of IN/OUT connectivity, then if you get the V Studio and the VS 700 R as part of your purchase then you will have two great interfaces. It can be interesting getting more than one interface to work properly.

Craig will be in this situation, and in the first post I am talking mainly about analog signal flow. But what about digital signal flow. It needs to be addressed. Both interfaces will be installed as far as your computer is concerned and you should have the choice of input and output options on your tracks and busses etc.

There are variations in terms of how you connect the two interfaces. Making the VS 700R a more central device seems to work well. It is connected to the computer and performs very well and is reliable. For transfer of signals digitally, Craig could patch the ADAT OUT from his MOTU into the ADAT IN on the VS 700 R. The second interface can sync digitally clockwise from the VS 700 R. You can patch it the other way around as well, ADAT OUT from the VS 700 R into the ADAT IN on the MOTU. A patchbay would be handy in front of the analog inputs of the VS 700 R as well. So the analog inputs on your VS 700 R might be normalised to the OUTS on the groupouts of an analog mixer. Or you patch a microphone direct to the VS 700 R. Once you start using the Mic Pres on the VS 700 R you will want to make them your main recording Pre. They are very very nice to record through.

One thing is for certain, with two interfaces, there is no one correct way. There are variations and the best one will be the configuration that gives no problems when tracking from both interfaces and playing back through both of them at the same time. And you want to be able to move your 8 channels of audio digitally between the two as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Using the VS 700 R and other audio interfaces 2009/06/30 20:04:50 (permalink)
    I'm sure it will work either way Jeff. V-700 into the Motu 2408 or visa- versa. Since the Motu is an interface with more channels it makes sense to me to use it as the ASIO source for the computer input. When connected to the Motu I will still have 8 more channels available on the Motu via the third channel. Syncing should not be a problem. I will probably use the PCI e internal clock. We'll see how it goes.
    ORIGINAL: Jeff Evans

If you already own another great interface with lots of IN/OUT connectivity, then if you get the V Studio and the VS 700 R as part of your purchase then you will have two great interfaces. It can be interesting getting more than one interface to work properly.

Craig will be in this situation, and in the first post I am talking mainly about analog signal flow. But what about digital signal flow. It needs to be addressed. Both interfaces will be installed as far as your computer is concerned and you should have the choice of input and output options on your tracks and busses etc.

There are variations in terms of how you connect the two interfaces. Making the VS 700R a more central device seems to work well. It is connected to the computer and performs very well and is reliable. For transfer of signals digitally, Craig could patch the ADAT OUT from his MOTU into the ADAT IN on the VS 700 R. The second interface can sync digitally clockwise from the VS 700 R. You can patch it the other way around as well, ADAT OUT from the VS 700 R into the ADAT IN on the MOTU. A patchbay would be handy in front of the analog inputs of the VS 700 R as well. So the analog inputs on your VS 700 R might be normalised to the OUTS on the groupouts of an analog mixer. Or you patch a microphone direct to the VS 700 R. Once you start using the Mic Pres on the VS 700 R you will want to make them your main recording Pre. They are very very nice to record through.

One thing is for certain, with two interfaces, there is no one correct way. There are variations and the best one will be the configuration that gives no problems when tracking from both interfaces and playing back through both of them at the same time. And you want to be able to move your 8 channels of audio digitally between the two as well.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1