United Breaks Guitars

Author
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
2009/07/10 13:30:40 (permalink)

United Breaks Guitars

Have any of you seen this...pretty amusing (except for the fact that a taylor was destroyed)

Dave and Don Carroll of the band Sons of Maxwell. (Sons of Maxwell)

Halifax band Sons of Maxwell have taken their battle with United Airlines over a broken guitar to YouTube.

And it seems the U.S. airline might just be listening.

Dave Carroll, the primary songwriter for the folk group, pledged to write three songs about United Airlines breaking his guitar after months of runaround over the incident.

"We were touring last year, over a year ago, going to Nebraska and we had to fly United Airlines landing in Chicago for a quick turnaround," he told CBC News.

"Somebody who didn't know we were musicians cried out from behind me that 'they're throwing guitars outside.'"

Carroll said his bass player saw United employees throwing the bass guitar, recognizing it through the plane window.

"I tried to alert three employees who showed no interest at all and it began a nine-month saga of me trying to get compensation for a guitar that ended up being broken, badly broken," he said.

The $3,500 Taylor acoustic guitar had been custom-made and was packed in a padded double case, but United refused to take responsibility. Carroll sent emails, wrote letters and talked to people at the airline over nine months until a Chicago employee told him to stop sending emails because he wasn't going to get compensation.

"I said 'What would Michael Moore do if he was a singer-songwriter?' and so I decided to write three songs," said Carroll, who started Sons of Maxwell with his brother Don.

United Song #1, a hurting song, with a catchy refrain that goes, in part, "United breaks guitars" and "You broke it you should fix it," went on YouTube July 6. It caught on pretty quickly, with more than 150,000 hits in its first day.

The song describes the incident in detail, including the horror of watching from the plane as their equipment was wrecked.

That was enough to get the airline's attention.

On Tuesday, a United Airlines spokeswoman said: "This has struck a chord with us. We're going to contact him directly."

Carroll said he's hoping his song is going to make a difference for everyone who gets burned by battered luggage.

"They're talking about changing the culture of customer service. This could end up making a real difference," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

17 Replies Related Threads

farrarbc
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 646
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 20:29:52 (permalink)
    That vid is up to 1.56 million hits at this point. Great video!!

--BF
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
    Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
    MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7-980
    Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
    24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    (4) 320 GB Seagates
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 20:38:57 (permalink)
    I saw my $2000 (in 1978) Alembic Seris I bass heaved onto a Southwest plane Fortunately, I still have it and nothing happened but I felt his pain then and I feel it now.
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 20:58:40 (permalink)
    I never once on any tour ever let the airlines put my guitars under the plane. They went in/over/or next to me. That was in the 70's and 80's though. I only got a little flack from the airlines. Nowadays i don't know but I do know how unreasonable they can be.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 21:32:32 (permalink)
    Wow this just proves never ever mess with a talented person. What fools United are.

Best
    John
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 22:25:04 (permalink)
    Now that the mic is open in front of them, they want to be the heroes and do the right thing. They had their chance to do that, before this poor guy went through a year of crap and made them look like the apes that they really are.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 22:33:11 (permalink)
    I was setting in the terminal in Atlanta a few years back looking out the window. I was watching the baggage handlers load the plane at the gate. I saw the (idiot) handler pick up a guitar (in a case) and throw it several feet onto the conveyer. Right then and there I decided I would never check my guitar as luggage.... if I needed to carry it I would do a carry on. I mostly try to arrange a guitar on the other end through friends in the country.....that has worked well in the past, and made me a few new friends in the process...... trust the airlines to handle my guitars properly..... no way!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 22:37:01 (permalink)
    trust the airlines to handle my guitars properly..... no way!

Maybe in three flight cases stacked inside each other like Russian nesting dolls, then sealed inside a 300lb. steel safe.

julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 22:50:37 (permalink)
    I had to fly United on the way back from Ohio just the other week with my husband and our two-year old. Even though I'd made arrangements (and confirmed seats) over a month beforehand, when we got our boarding passes, none of us was even remotely near another one. This has happened before to us, on other airlines, and in all cases, Someone in charge has stepped up and helped us out - so that at least ONE of us was sitting with the baby. At United, however, No One wanted to help me at the ticket counter, telling me to ask the Flight Attendent. When we boarded the plane, I immediately asked the Attendent for help. He looked at me as if I were an alien and said, You'll have to ask the people around you if anyone would like to move." Then he picked up the mic and started making announcements, effectively ignoring me. First seat, one man ignored me, the other pointed to his ear, which I assume menat he was hearing impaired (or also ignoring me). I moved on to seat number two. Ignored again. Seat Number three, and finally a very nice German businessman took pity on us and took my original seat. All the while, another attendant was GLARING at me, presumably for holding up the line. Here's the crazy thing... as we were sitting there, waiting for the rest of the plane to load, the SAME THING happened to TWO MORE families with kids under 3!!!! How insane is that? The plane was old and uncomfortable, the worst I've flown on in several years - a 4 1-2 hour flight and we were offered only a CUP of soda. Pathetic, and I will Never Ever fly United again. It was shameful.

Whew. That feels better.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/10 23:30:39 (permalink)
    I was going to say something about what I think of airlines treating people like this, but it would have been X-rated.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/11 00:01:26 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your experience, juli. The industry sure has changed.

I have no idea if this is going to change now that Delta has bought Northwest... about 4 years ago, we traveled from ND to Alabama for a family reunion - with 14-month old twins and a 3-year-old. Northwest Airlines treated us very, very well, made sure we were all sitting together and that the kids were comfortable. Can't say enough good about them. Props to the TSA guys, too - they were a great help getting us through security without much more delay than you'd expect with a double stroller and all of the "kid stuff" that you lug about with babies (x2). I've flown recently, and things have changed, not always for the better.

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/11 02:35:46 (permalink)
    Lo-o-o-o-o-o-ve my Steinberger - fits into the overhead!

Ric
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: United Breaks Guitars 2009/07/11 07:35:53 (permalink)
    For a few years back (seems a long time ago...) I worked internationaly and travelled and flew a lot with a guitar to keep me company. (Did almost all my flying with AA...almost none with United)

It was a 200.00 samick in a cheap hard shell....never got so much a scratch on it. If it had been my Martin it would have been crushed in Miami first flight I am sure.

JR

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: RE: United Breaks Guitars 2017/04/28 17:44:24 (permalink)
    This is the oldest thread I've ever resurrected, but as it was Jeff's 2009 post that originally made me aware of this story it seemed fitting to append to it rather than starting a new one.

The story's still going strong, boosted by United's recent infamy. The song's author is now in demand as a speaker and has composed two more sequels to the original song. Here's his TED talk about it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: RE: United Breaks Guitars 2017/04/28 18:45:43 (permalink)
    Case it like you're going to mail it. Insure it for the trip. Airline handlers are worse than mail handlers. Padded cases seem like a recipe for disaster.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: RE: United Breaks Guitars 2017/04/28 20:55:07 (permalink)
    julibee
    I had to fly United on the way back from Ohio just the other week with my husband and our two-year old. Even though I'd made arrangements (and confirmed seats) over a month beforehand, when we got our boarding passes, none of us was even remotely near another one. This has happened before to us, on other airlines, and in all cases, Someone in charge has stepped up and helped us out - so that at least ONE of us was sitting with the baby. At United, however, No One wanted to help me at the ticket counter, telling me to ask the Flight Attendent. When we boarded the plane, I immediately asked the Attendent for help. He looked at me as if I were an alien and said, You'll have to ask the people around you if anyone would like to move." Then he picked up the mic and started making announcements, effectively ignoring me. First seat, one man ignored me, the other pointed to his ear, which I assume menat he was hearing impaired (or also ignoring me). I moved on to seat number two. Ignored again. Seat Number three, and finally a very nice German businessman took pity on us and took my original seat. All the while, another attendant was GLARING at me, presumably for holding up the line. Here's the crazy thing... as we were sitting there, waiting for the rest of the plane to load, the SAME THING happened to TWO MORE families with kids under 3!!!! How insane is that? The plane was old and uncomfortable, the worst I've flown on in several years - a 4 1-2 hour flight and we were offered only a CUP of soda. Pathetic, and I will Never Ever fly United again. It was shameful.

Whew. That feels better.

It's because they're union!  Fly southwest!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: RE: United Breaks Guitars 2017/04/28 21:36:35 (permalink)
    eph221

It's because they're union!  Fly southwest!

I expect it is more of an issue with the fact that the airlines (pretty much all of them) have a contract of carriage that limits their liability for damage or loss on pretty much everything they put on the plane. If they were routinely paying for damage of expensive items, there would be an incentive to supervise baggage handlers union or not. You can declare excess valuation on luggage and pay what is basically an insurance fee, but that option is limited.

United says: 
    Except for certain International Carriage subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention, declaration of higher value shall not apply to sporting equipment, golfing equipment, bicycles, personal human transporters, musical instruments or musical instrument cases or strollers. United does say they will carry a properly packed large or fragile musical instrument as Cabin Baggage, if you reserve a seat next to you in advance and pay the applicable passenger fare for the seat. 

Southwest says it is not available for a bunch of things including "fragile items" which presumably would apply to guitars or anything else that gets broken. They will allow a guitar or other large and fragile instrument to be carried on a seat: A reservation must be made for the instrument or equipment at a charge no greater than the Child Fare for each seat used. 

There is little incentive for any carrier to provide special handling for items for which it can charge a passenger fare to properly protect. 

As someone who has had a guitar destroyed by "normal baggage handling" and someone who has worked as a member of a union with fellows who nonetheless take their work seriously and show due care, I submit that your snide remark is unfounded and misses the point. 

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: RE: United Breaks Guitars 2017/04/29 14:32:14 (permalink)
    In a related story, passengers seated on one side of a plane looked down to see baggage handlers destroying some bagpipes.  There were no complaints.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1