Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/07/11 23:37:12 (permalink)

Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When?

I am totally confused. I understood the file structure for Rapture under XP. I have Vista now and cannot figure out where the programs and multi-samples go. I have put all my expansion pack stuff into the Program Files/Cakewalk/Rapture. They are not showing up in Vista. Yep I have hit F5 in the browser for Rapture. Yep I have deleted programs.lst or whatever it is called.

I am sure there is an applications data directory that I am not finding in Vista and that is where the danged programs go, but I cannot find it. I have tried turning on all hidden files.

What next?

Thanks.

BTW - I have searched this forum several times and come up dry on this. While I found people that talked about app data or program data, I did not see where to find those directories. They have to be there, right?

Thanks.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

8 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/11 23:56:09 (permalink)
    Space,

there is a C:program/data and C:program/files right above it. One holds the program and multisamples, etc. while Data/Cake holds the patches. That is how it works in vista, instead of one program file with both the patches and samples all neatly tied together. A real ****, tho René gave good programmer reasons why MS would split things up. If you manually insert patches or more samples you'll need to remember where everything goes.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 10:27:35 (permalink)
    AT I am not seeing that. Granted I am a vista idiot - having just started messing with it. Are these hidden?

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 12:11:08 (permalink)
    I think I found it but I have done something odd to my explorer now. ARGHHH. Why can't vista be exactly like XP?

AT
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 12:37:00 (permalink)
    Space, vista and XP? Bill Gates needed more money.

Open explorer. Get to C: (I suppose that is what your programs are using). It default opens to Users or some such nonsense. I never understood why XP wanted to divide up users and Documents and Files anyway. I want to go right to the C: source.

The direct path is C:/Program Files - just like XP. But Vista adds C:/Program Data - in my explorer it is directly below Program Files and above Users.

From there it is C:/Program Files/Cakewalk/Rapture/Multisamples.

SPace, also, you probably need to be administrator do do anything with Vista. If you go to Control Panel>User Accounts you can turn User Accounts control on and off.

Hope this helps. If it is too simple, don't be offended, this is just the stuff I barely remember to get my vista going.

best of luck.

In Program Data/Cakewalk/Rapture there is a "programs" folder.

The installers should be the proper stuff in the proper folders, but you can manually do it - if you can find them.

Note: many of the expanded mulitsamples need the samples to go in the main folder, not a sub. So you don't get a /Multisample/expansion pack 1 or Museum folder. For the programor patch to find the sample(s) it needs to go in the main folder. You did get the Museum stuff - it is old analog samples and programs. Very good sh ... stuff.

@
    post edited by AT - 2009/07/12 12:40:57

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 22:45:34 (permalink)
    AT I had to turn on hidden files. I accidentally made everything hidden when I did that.

My big problem is that I bought a bunch of the expansion packs from Cake for Rapture and Dim Pro (actually almost all of the expansion packs) and the store is not working right currently. I could not download the expansions again as it shows NO purchases ever in my account, even though it shows 4 pages of authorizations.

So I did the foolish thing. I copied all of the folders from the expansion packs to my portable hard drive and moved them manually. If I had the installers, life would have been easier.

Cake if you are reading this, I have written about my account. I cannot get the downloads back for a few things that I cannot copy. Please help. I know you are busy bundling the V700 for me with a bunch of other stuff for the fine work on Asparapuss to award those who show what collaboration can be done trans-atlantic. Since I sang Asparapuss, I know you are busy giving me the V700 with 3 of the audio interfaces. Once you are done with that, could you please fix my user account?

Thanks.

AT
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 22:55:22 (permalink)
    Space,

hope it is working out for you. Once the programs/samples are expanded they should slide right into the synths. I think you have to hit the browser again (F1) to get them recognized.

Can't comment on your account - but ain't the VS700 a hoot. I'm sure you'll love it. Makes SONAR feel more analog. Congrates.

And when did you move from Houston to Grzlyrg? I hope the humidity is less!

@

space_cowboy
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 23:31:42 (permalink)
    AT that was a subtle hint to Cake.
    I could not expand from the zips because I cannot get cake to fix my account. It shows tons of stuff authorized but nothing I can re-download as it has no records of anything ever being purchased here.

I moved from Grzlyrg about 30 years ago. It wasn't humid enough.

space_cowboy
    RE: Vista and Rapture Expansion Packs - Where Does What Go When? 2009/07/12 23:34:58 (permalink)
    Also as part of this vista experiment, I had to replace my trusty RME DIGI 9652 since at 10 years old (and still going strong) RME had quit supporting the drivers. No Vista 64. I bought a RME Fireface 800. I need two more to go with my VS700 when it comes. What a great box. I love RME.

I was on the forum about a year ago and asked the RME engineers if going to the HPSD or whatever they call it 9652 would be any different than my DIGI 9652. Nope. Same ultra low latency and rock solid.

I love those guys.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1