Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering???

Author
adamlewis723
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 243
2009/07/19 10:34:10 (permalink)

Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering???

Hello,

Quick question here. I see options for compression in NI Battery for my drum track... however do I want to use that if I am using compression in the mastering stages or should I use just one compression option?

Thanks,
Adam

- Dell XPS M1530, 3GB RAM, Sonar 8, Korg MS-20 Emulator, M-Audio Oxygen-48, Korg MS2000, Z3TA, NI Komplete

6 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/19 10:40:18 (permalink)
    Use a little bit of both.

Use Battery's stuff to get a drum mix and use SONAR's master for your song.

The thing about master compression is that it often changes the perception of the balance between instruments. Drums seem to come up in level... so just watch for that and learn to back yourself into the spot you want to end up at.

best regards,
    mike

AL 321
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/19 11:15:09 (permalink)
    Overcompression is overcompression. It doesn't matter how many compressors you use to get there. It all depends on the sample being compressed, and the type of music you are making.
    Personally, i think compressing drums at the track level is a good idea, because it gives you less peak problems at the master bus when the track is complete. Big drum peaks on the master out means the maximizer has to work a lot harder, and you hear artifacts at much lower compression levels. I suppose it's all about finding a balance that works for you.

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/20 11:47:27 (permalink)
    I've only been using Battery for a couple of months, but what I've been doing is I assign the Cells to different groups (kick, snare, hi-hat, toms, etc) that output to separate tracks in Sonar. Then any processing (EQ, Compression, reverb) I'm doing through plug-ins on those tracks. The main reason is there is more flexibility with the plug-ins and I'm just more familiar with them. Plus if you need to tweak something it's right there in your fx bin - you don't have to open up Battery.

I guess the cool thing about having this feature in Battery is it gives you options, but for now this is what's working best for me...
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re: RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/24 15:27:32 (permalink)
    If you have enough processing power I think you should use dedicated compressors (as well as EQ) on your drum tracks rather than a generic one built into a sampler. My guess is that a dedicated insert effect will usually be better since that is it's main focus. I'd use compression on almost all drum tracks, then again on drum bus (maybe even a paralell compression track) and then again during pre-mastering. Never anything built into an instrument though...

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re: RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/24 16:08:11 (permalink)

comping on a track comps only "that" track
    comping on the master comps "everything"
    i dont use any master effects. unless i absolutly
    have no choice. when the song is mixed down
    to wav ill limit the peaks a little but thats about it.

the thing is though its much much harder to
    work"the tracks"  i may have 6 or 7 different
    plugs on a given track not because i can but
    because i sometimes have to to make the part
    fit the whole song.

i like having drums all seperated into ther own
    tracks. you might want to use a different comp
    or setting on a kick and snare.

in general though it seems no master comp
    is puncheir however comping the master can
    really fatten things up. from my own personal
    expereince not relying on master effects makes
    me put much more time into the tracks
    post edited by jimmyman - 2009/07/24 16:09:52
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re: RE: Compression in NI Battery or in Mastering??? 2009/07/28 13:04:00 (permalink)
    If you are after a real Pro sound, compress early and often.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1