Streaming your own music?

Author
MetalMan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 954
2009/07/20 05:07:24 (permalink)

Streaming your own music?

I was wondering if anybody out there has their own station streaming their music?

The reason I ask is I never thought of it until I was checking out a site and stumbled on this free program : http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vibestreamer.html

It does work, and it's very simple to use, and it is free. I tried streaming a .MP3 file, it worked perfectly. Although as far as I can tell I think it's limited to .MP3 files only.

Bobby
post edited by MetalMan - 2009/07/20 05:22:04

15 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 06:14:43 (permalink)
    We have a website that when people visit, plays our songs while they visit at the bottom of the page. You can click on links and switch pages and the streming isn't interruped. Though the site isn't free, it costs $200/year, which is still dirt cheap. Click on my link at the bottom if you wanna check it out.

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 08:57:20 (permalink)
    that's pretty cool, bobby - ever since the soundclick fiasco, I've been working on rebuilding my website and putting my songs there - this may be a better alternative to what I have been working on. I'll have to download it and check it out.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 10:35:01 (permalink)
    THANKS BOBBY! Downloaded it. I'll have to learn how to use it later though.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 14:41:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

that's pretty cool, bobby - ever since the soundclick fiasco, I've been working on rebuilding my website and putting my songs there - this may be a better alternative to what I have been working on. I'll have to download it and check it out.

Yeah, I'm looking for every alternative I can myself. I know very little about java scripts but I did manage to find an old interesting topic online. In this thread this person ask about posting their music on their website, anyway this script programmer post a script just to do that, as the script goes on he keeps changing it over and over as the people request it, so their are a lot of cool free scripts you can find there. It starts out with simply embedding one song, then it moves on to scripts for embedding multiple songs with in different ways like a drop down menu and other things. http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=50666 I found playing .wav and .mp3 not a problem at all with these scripts.

I considered buying one of those programs to add a flash media player to my site, I just don't wanna spend the money. I found a couple of free ones, but it seems they all have a catch to them somewhere.

One thing I like about having the music on your site is it's under your control.

MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 14:46:22 (permalink)

The only thing I don't like about this free streaming program, and that's everyone who accesses your stream they have to know the user name and password, you can't just have it stream the music. Another thing I don't like is they have to select the file folder "Which you control what that is", but then they have to select the song and press play.

But then again, what the heck it's free, and it works.

I should have mentioned that this streams music directly from your computer.

The cool thing is your mp3 isn't getting all this conversion done to it as far as I can tell.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 15:01:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MetalMan

The only thing I don't like about this free streaming program, and that's everyone who accesses your stream they have to know the user name and password, you can't just have it stream the music. Another thing I don't like is they have to select the file folder "Which you control what that is", but then they have to select the song and press play.

But then again, what the heck it's free, and it works.

I should have mentioned that this streams music directly from your computer.

The cool thing is your mp3 isn't getting all this conversion done to it as far as I can tell.

OH NO - I didn't realize that since I haven't really looked at it enough - I havne't downloaded it yet, but if that's the case then that's not what I want!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 15:28:03 (permalink)
    Yeah I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's ok if you just want to access your music from another computer, or give out the name and password to others so they can. They can only access the folders you add your music in.

MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 15:36:10 (permalink)

Here's one I found, I haven't tried it yet, I'm fixing to try it if the files aren't too big for my website.

Maybe this one will help.

http://www.premiumbeat.com/flash_resources/free_flash_music_player/

This is what I'm looking for, the only thing is like I said I only have 20 MB limited web space. I'm just gonna have to pay for more or go with a different web space provider.

Bobby

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 17:40:44 (permalink)
    I use xspf player on my site to stream mp3s. It's free and seem to work just fine. My site is on Comcast since I'm a Comcast user and they provide a bunch of space.
    Try googling "xspf player". Probably the best place to start is http://www.boutell.com/xspf/
    I don't know much about XML and HTML but the various sources of info made it clear enough that I got it to work quite easily.
    You can see and hear it at http://lmmcgowan.home.comcast.net/~lmmcgowan/music.htm
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 18:59:50 (permalink)

Thanks Larry, I'm gonna give it a try, I don't know a whole lot about XML, or Java Script, I can't say I know a whole lot about HTML - but I can say I've learned to manipulate the HTML codes to make them suit my liking on some things.

Java Script has been giving me fits though, I'm gonna give this one you are suggesting a try, it looks like what I am wanting to do : "Simply select the tune and hit play, click next song/previous song/stop or change the volume. With the codes I've found so far there seem to always be something missing selection wise - or that is in most cases Next song/Previous song/Stop or something is always shown but not working. If I can get this one to work then "This is the one for me!", it seems small in size allowing me to add .mp3's to my limited web space. I haven't tried it yet, I just unzipped it and glanced over the docs.

BTW : Your music sounds great! Very classy man!

Thanks again,

Bobby

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 20:38:40 (permalink)
    Bobby, Thanks for the compliment on the music.

I have found that all the controls work. And just clicking on a song name plays it. And it automatically goes on to the next song. And it starts playing very soon after clicking a song name or clicking the play button. It downloads the song as it is playing it but I don't think that is "streaming" in the strict sense.

I believe that I manipulated the visual size of the player. The one on my site is larger than the default.

Good luck,
    Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 22:05:26 (permalink)
    Bobby,

Um, what about Cakewalk Publisher, it's included with Sonar. Just had to throw that in, since it's a Cakewalk forum.

Have you seen that free player from yahoo? http://developer.yahoo.com/mediaplayer/
    I haven't tried it but I might. It's light, and looks very easy to implement.

Seems there is free flash players all over the net. Don't know what you mean by "catch", yes it does take some setting up, so that's what you may mean.
    Do you have ftp access to your site? Can you edit html?

20mb is very small for your site, I hope it's free. I have 300 gig, but I run a site for my wife's business. And that's $7.00 a month.

That vibe player looks kind of neat. Is it a peer to peer type thing? So it's streaming from your PC. I really don't think you want access to your PC like that.
    Additionally the bandwith is taking up as well. But If only like a couple access it, no biggy.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    MetalMan
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/20 22:42:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: guitardog247

Bobby,

Um, what about Cakewalk Publisher, it's included with Sonar. Just had to throw that in, since it's a Cakewalk forum.

Have you seen that free player from yahoo? http://developer.yahoo.com/mediaplayer/
    I haven't tried it but I might. It's light, and looks very easy to implement.

Seems there is free flash players all over the net. Don't know what you mean by "catch", yes it does take some setting up, so that's what you may mean.
    Do you have ftp access to your site? Can you edit html?

20mb is very small for your site, I hope it's free. I have 300 gig, but I run a site for my wife's business. And that's $7.00 a month.

That vibe player looks kind of neat. Is it a peer to peer type thing? So it's streaming from your PC. I really don't think you want access to your PC like that.
    Additionally the bandwith is taking up as well. But If only like a couple access it, no biggy.

Well, when I posted that message I didn't know about the Cakewalk Publisher? Where does it send the files?

I use MC4 so I don't know or don't see the Cakewalk Publisher on here. Not sure if it's there, maybe I'm missing it.

My interest is in adding a free music player with no strings attached to my limited website space : http://webpages.charter.net/musicformusicians/
    Which I might add I am using SOUND CLICK right now but I want to get away from that.

I am going to try Larry's suggestions on adding a music player, it seems small in size and I don't need to post more than really 2 or 3 songs at a time. If they are MP3, that's ok.

Thanks for the info.

Bobby
    post edited by MetalMan - 2009/07/21 02:25:35

hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/21 07:39:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

ever since the soundclick fiasco

I've been off the forums for a couple of weeks - what soundclick fiasco?
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: Streaming your own music? 2009/07/21 08:17:51 (permalink)
    Never mind!

I just read the huge thread in the Coffee shop!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1