CONSISTENCY???

Author
JOSEPHPBRENNER
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/07/20 22:52:43 (permalink)

CONSISTENCY???

What is the best way to copy the "frequency profile" of one track onto another?

I'm mixing down an album and I want to get as much sonic consistency as I can between tracks. Aside from trial and error with various EQs and frequency analyzer/imagers I have no idea how I would go about getting one track to "sound identical" another (with respect to its frequency profile [and by "identical" I mean "identical"]). Is there some plugin (SONAR or Protools) or something I could use to do this automatically? You know? So that the one track sounds like it was recorded in EXACTLY the same way (with the frequencies and the noise) as the other? Please help!

14 Replies Related Threads

Kim Lajoie
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 03:51:31 (permalink)
    I used to do it by ear, which was painstaking and error-prone, but did teach me a lot about audio and listening!

Recently I've started using MAutoEqualizer for this job, with good effect. The key is to make sure it analyses several songs for reference, and you analyse the whole song that you want to equalise. It actually works better than I expected.

Disclosure: I have a professional relationship with Melda Production.

-Kim.
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 08:17:05 (permalink)
    Kim,

Do you have any before and after examples you can provide for us to hear how it worked? It sounds interesting and it would be great to hear how it did. I know that mp3s really won't do it justice, but it would give a feel for how the analysis process done on the material.

Also, what type of music have you used it with so far? Is there a particular type of music that it works best with so far?

Lastly, when you say "reference" are you referring (pardon the pun) to the album of songs to be analyzed or are you suggesting that you find commerical material that you are trying to match?

Sorry for all the questions. It sounds like an interesting application.

Thanks,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 08:35:14 (permalink)
    What exactly, do you mean by "identical"?

For example; do you mean identical WHEN the songs are the exact, and I mean exact, length?

Or

For example; do you mean identical WHEN the songs have exactly the same R.M.S. amplitude?

there's lots to think about, including the obvious question... WHY would you want all your songs to sound identical?

best regards,
    mike

Kim Lajoie
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 09:07:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tyacko

Kim,

Do you have any before and after examples you can provide for us to hear how it worked? It sounds interesting and it would be great to hear how it did. I know that mp3s really won't do it justice, but it would give a feel for how the analysis process done on the material.

Also, what type of music have you used it with so far? Is there a particular type of music that it works best with so far?

Lastly, when you say "reference" are you referring (pardon the pun) to the album of songs to be analyzed or are you suggesting that you find commerical material that you are trying to match?

Sorry for all the questions. It sounds like an interesting application.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

I've only started using it recently. The songs "Devil Gurl" and "It Won't Last" has MAutoEqualizer applied during mastering. Sorry, I don't have the pre-mastered audio online for comparison. You can imagine it as the same audio but with a different tone. I've used it on another song that might be published soon too. They're all different genres, and different sounds. I see no reason why MAutoEqualizer would be more appropriate for some types of music over others.

Actually, MAutoEqualizer seemed to use much tighter EQ bandwidths than I used to use when I was adjusting the tone by ear. Maybe that's because MAutoEqualizer is more accurate - better than my ear at pinpointing frequencies, or maybe it's just a quirk of the algorithms. The EQ curve it usually comes up with looks strange, but sounds right. A little part of me died when I first began to realise how well it worked - I started to doubt the value of my own listening skills ("Why do I need to be good at EQing if I can get a machine to do it for me?"). Ultimately though, I have to hear the outcome and make sure it sounds right. I also don't really enjoy mastering. I'm not too bad at it (mainly because I understand the physics and psychoacoustic principals), but to me it's engineering. Not very creative or artistic. So I suppose it's not so bad that part of the process is automated by a machine.

The "reference" material I write about is the commercial songs. They are a reference point for the final tone and dynamic characteristics that you want your mastered material to have. It doesn't mean you have to copy them exactly, but they help you know when you're close enough.

Hope that helps.

-Kim.

Disclosure: I have a professional relationship with Melda Production.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 09:16:48 (permalink)
    Is that the outfit that advises that they can help "make your sound original"?

:-)

Kim Lajoie
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 09:25:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Is that the outfit that advises that they can help "make your sound original"?

:-)

MAutoEqualizer is this.

About the quote... I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised - their English is a little odd at times. ;-)

-Kim.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 09:33:47 (permalink)
    I think you are observing steeper slopes than you would have chosen because this is the primary benefit of using a linear phase EQ.

It can run very steep slopes without artifacts jumping out elsewhere.

best regards,
    mike

Kim Lajoie
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/21 09:36:09 (permalink)
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

-Kim.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/22 14:04:50 (permalink)
    MAutoEqualizer looks pretty impressive, but at 250 Euros (not sure what that is in dollars these days), it's rather pricey.  Voxengo offers what appears to be a similar capability in CurveEQ, which can be purchased for 80 bucks.  Anyone have any experience with the Voxengo offering?  Are there other products with like capabilities out there that ought to be considered as well?
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/22 16:51:26 (permalink)
    That...my friend is the entire purpose of Mastering your music. To get all the songs on a CD project to sound like that are part of the same project. The quick answer is to master the songs using a mastering setup.... something like Ozone would do the trick.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/23 14:10:58 (permalink)
    Methinks much is subjective and forgivable.

Also, similarities of song parameters can get boring and/or wearisome to the ears.
    IOWs, methinks I've heard random MP3 compilations that keep me more interested than the one-man-band album(s)?

Rather than just strive for album-coherence and similarity ... I oft try to follow Bob Katz *mainstream* advice (IIRC):

1) Strongest song 1st (e.g., high tempo, ear-fatiguing, ostentatious, or whatever).
    2) A middle-strength song 2nd.
    3) Low tempo *ballad* song 3rd.
    4) Repeat steps 1,2, and 3 ...

For me a good album causes the listener to jostle the volume control (in the car) anyway.  Yeh, many audiophiles are volume-jockies.  Many listeners (myself foremost) may also 'take time' to boost the sub-woofer and leave it alone.

My aging human ears seem to welcome a vast variety of levels anyway ... in order to sustain album interest in this hurry-up and wait world.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/24 08:38:03 (permalink)
    I think the consistency starts at recording.
    I use the same synthesized drum kit, the same bass tone, and limit myself to the same 3 or 4 guitar tones.  The songs can be different, but if you keep those the same (similar to a band's live set) it's cohesive right from the start.
    Then you can mix the tracks relatively similarly(compensating for differences in the song).  By this point mastering will be easy to keep the same, and the project will actually sound like one project.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/24 09:09:42 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

I use the same synthesized  drum kit, the same bass tone, and limit myself to the same 3 or 4 guitar tones.  The songs can be different, but if you keep those the same (similar to a band's live set) it's cohesive right from the start.
    Then you can mix the tracks relatively similarly(compensating for differences in the song).  By this point mastering will be easy to keep the same, and the project will actually sound like one project.

Yeah, this is the way I do it too.
    I usually use the same reverb too so it sounds as if everything was recorded in the same session in the same space.
    Of course it's not as if you can even hear the reverb on the tracks, I just feel that it gives the same ambiance over all.  

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: CONSISTENCY??? 2009/07/24 10:30:04 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

I use the same synthesized drum kit, the same bass tone, and limit myself to the same 3 or 4 guitar tones.  The songs can be different, but if you keep those the same (similar to a band's live set) it's cohesive right from the start.

Yes, I agree 100%.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1