starting production

Author
locket
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 297
2009/07/27 13:18:57 (permalink)

starting production

hey people,

Just wondering how long you guys have been producing, did you find you had a knack for it or did you have to work at it.

Just wondering cause im finding it hard, I think my expectations are too high really and I need to enjoy were im at and the learning process, but thought it might help to know how you guys started and some of your experiences if your willing to share.

Thanks guys and gals

13 Replies Related Threads

badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 13:32:14 (permalink)
    when I first started making music, I was 14 years old, that was 5 years ago, I bought magix music studio, played for it for a while, then found a cracked copy of P5, and started learning it alone. I never really enjoyed tutorials or manuals, I just experimented, learning while I was composing. At the time, I didn't know much music, I just did what sounded good to me, now I've discovered a lot of artists, and it raised my expectations a lot, which can be frustrating, and I guess it's even more frustrating when you start composing.

I remember that I was making music not in order to release an album or be famous or whatever, just for the fun, I enjoyed creating something.

now I'm being more serious about my music, but still, I need the fun factor, if I don't feel happy, excited when I make music, I just quit the sequencer and do something else.

it might seem hard at first, but it's a lot of fun, just try to find a way to learn that suits you, may it be experimenting, reading manuals, videos, trying to copy others artists to implement their techniques in your own music or whatever.

oh, as soon as I started making music, I joined this forum, and it's been really helpful in many ways, mostly for the song reviews, I think online forums are a good way of learning.
    locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 13:45:03 (permalink)
    Agreed badbib, I just make music for me, I love music and I think thats what frustrates me, is when I know its not up too par. Sounds like you started a good way, you had time to find your way into it before you knew exactly what you wanted to do and it got more serious. Agreed also forums are a great place to learn, Iv learnt alot already from here.

Thanks man
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 13:50:34 (permalink)
    Hmm,...since 95? 96?

started on a korg 5D and a black and white mac with master tracks pro. I started making music, because I wanted to make CD artwork, and I needed music to go along with it. that, and i was sick of where industrial music was at the time. then i downloaded a demo of project 5. hated it. I couldn't wrap my head around it. i was so used to how master tracks work. I ended up coming back to it several months later and started to understand how it works. been a P5'er ever since.
    things take time to develop. Its more of a hobby for me. And over the years, I think I have created a distinct style, as so others who have been here since P5 V1. :)

locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 13:57:45 (permalink)
    Ye can tell you v been at it awhile lol, your drums do my head in, maybe in 10 yrs i'l be able to do drums like you, there actually part of my frustration and part of my motivation. I just have to take a chill pill and enjoy the journey.

Cheers sean for the reply
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 14:33:32 (permalink)
    http://www.cryophonik.com/bio.html

Probably easier to just have you read my bio!  BTW, I'm dt (first bio on that page).

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 14:47:48 (permalink)
    Wow interesting stuff, no wonder your stuff is that good, you have a masters in music, and a man of many talents, guess you learned quite a lot working in bands aswel before you set your studio up.

Would you have any suggestions for a noob who is just starting out.
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 15:32:55 (permalink)
    Been at this for a while now. Been in music since early childhood, and in "music production" for a long while now as well.

I was mostly a trumpet player with some music theory in my background. My piano skills are pathetic, so I found technical ways and step recording to add some life to my compositions.

The only thing I can say is keep at it, have fun learning, listen to others, and don't be discouraged. Think of it this way...some people play golf.
    locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 15:57:37 (permalink)
    hahaha true
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 16:37:41 (permalink)
    locket

...you have a masters in music,...

Actually, I only have a BA in music, my masters is in Fisheries Biology.

locket

...and a man of many talents, guess you learned quite a lot working in bands aswel before you set your studio up.

Yeah, as far as mixing goes, I actually learned most of what I know from working as a live audio tech, which gave me a decent head start.

locket

^^^ What Trusty said! ^^^

A few other tips: learn by doing and try to stay focused on one aspect or task at a time until it's firsthand knowledge.  Also, realize that learning is an ongoing process that never ends - it seems to me like the more I know, the more I realize that there's so much more that I don't know!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 17:27:50 (permalink)
    During the late 80's i got a bank loan and went on a spending spree: multitrack tape deck, mixer, patch bay, various effects units,  drum machines, atari stfm computer with master tracks sequencer software and a guitar or two.  I ended up producing nothing of any note for around five years (actually it was all crap) and each bit of equipment got sold off untill i had none of it left.

I thought my music making days were over and began to accept the fact that i was just no bloody good at it, so i did nothing untill 2004 when i had some spare cash and bought p5. To this day i'll never know why i bought it as a pretty pesimistic precedent had already been set.  I bought a cheap keyboard and joined the forum hust to ask a couple of tech questions about p5.  After about three weeks i had'nt produced anything i was happy with and was about to give it all up again when i listened to some tracks by other members and read the comments.

I was impressed and that sort of spurred me on to give it one more try and about a week later i posted my first ever track on the net and i was **** scared.  Fortunately, some thought it was'nt too bad and i'm still doing it, which amazes me more than anything else.  If i had'nt joined the forum i can definitely say i would have given up so it was fortunate i did in the end.  End of waffle.
    locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 17:38:43 (permalink)
    well its kinda nice to hear someones in the same boat as me, but its hard to believe your in my boat lol, your music does nt sound like youv had a hard time with it, well it certainly says alot for not giving up then.

Its funny there just something about making music that draws you too it for some unknown reason, and you cant put it down. Even when you dont feel so great at it.

Thanks man
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    Re:starting production 2009/07/27 17:40:08 (permalink)

You need to figure out your own best way of doing things.  Some people can compose on a computer, others need to have a song written first.

Take as much wisdom from the forums as you can, but don't spend too much time there.

If you are composing, don't spend too much time looking for a perfect sound.  Pull up a sound quickly and go with it.  You can always find a better sound after you have the part down.

Someone once said that you have to write 1000 songs before you write your first really good one.  And that you should be warned that the first 995 will probably suck.

locket
    Re:starting production 2009/07/28 06:40:35 (permalink)
    Good advice, exactly what i needed to hear thanks
    post edited by locket - 2009/07/28 06:45:28
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1