sending projects to other sonar 8 users

Author
maurice38
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2009/08/03 07:44:37 (permalink)

sending projects to other sonar 8 users

i am trying to collaborate between 4 other sonar 8 users so im trying to work out how to send the project so one can add a guitar line another a keyboard line and so on .then they can send them back to me for mixing mastering etc....at the moment the only way i can do it is by sending them a mp3 of the project via email, they import it to sonar , record their tracks and they send me back only the wave file to me, then i import that back into the project .....my question is ...is there an easier way because the wave files sent can be too big for email and if they send it back as mp3 the quality is diminished.

8 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/03 08:04:26 (permalink)
    Send the wav file in a compressed zipped folder?

Craig DuBuc
    maurice38
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/03 08:12:18 (permalink)
    how is that done craig
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/03 08:42:21 (permalink)
    I would not compress anything. Just send the whole folder via 'You Send It' They don't charge much ($3 to $4) and you can send up to 2 Gig at a time. The person at the other end gets an email and they log onto a special FTP link and they download the whole thing. (They have got a week or so to do it) It all bypasses the email server so there is no limit on the size of the files.

There might be a special rate if you are going to be doing it for a period of time.

You will have to zip up all the stuff inside the project folder but do it with no compression. eg 1 to 1 ratio. Once you have got the main sessions sent to all your people then it is a simple matter to just send around the relevant files that are recorded later etc. The good thing about this is that you are working with the high res files all the time so quality loss is not an issue.

I mixed and mastered a whole album for a client in Indonesia from Australia without stepping out my door.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/08/03 10:36:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Crg
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/03 20:28:45 (permalink)
    maurice38

how is that done craig

Using Win zip, a windows utility. But I'd forgotten about You Send It. I think Jeff has the better option there. Cakewalk uses it for dmp. files. I've never heard anything about compressing a wav file having bad results, but it might be better not to. ?

Craig DuBuc
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/03 23:01:36 (permalink)
    Sorry I forgot this. At any time you can turn your whole project folder into a 'Bundle File' You just save as normal but select a Bundle File instead of a normal Cakewalk project file. One big file will be created that has everything packed in there ready to go. No Win Zip necessary at all and better because you are not going anywhere near any compression type programs.

When it comes time to upload your file, 'You Send It' will ask you to point to your file and you just point to the Bundle file and then upload it. The Sonar user at the other end can easily Unpack the Bundle File back into all of its components. They just add more music and send another Bundle back to you.

Its good to work exactly within the limits of just Sonar Producer 8 while everyone is trading Bundle Files. The music will always open up and play correctly with all the right things going on. The final mix engineer and mastering engineer may employ more external things but as these are the last stages, it is OK to do so. Hey send it all to me to mix! Better still Maurice, I can play drums, percussion and a heap of synth parts over the top if you want. My wife plays violin and viola and we know a fantastic cello player. I can do a whole string arrangement and record it live for you. (MS stereo recording that you can alter stereo width after the fact!)
    Or you do a midi arrangement that plays back in TTS 1. I print out the scores and record the parts live.

Make sure you do your projcet in 24 bit as well. This is just so important. I have been reading a book by Bob Katz about mastering and I am really getting the advantages of 24 bit recording. This is more important than high sampling rates. The mix buss and everything works better at 24 bit. You really need the 64 bit version of Sonar to do the final mix and master as well. (running on a 64 bit operating system) The other thing I am really getting from this book is how important it is to be mastering in the background at a very high bit depth. Dithering down at the last minute is fine and sounds great but keep it at 24 bit right up to there. If you guys work with me I will make sure I am in 24 bit as well. The world is open to all of us! The Bundle files will keep everything pristine and in 24 bit as well, they might be a bit bigger but it is worth it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Crg
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/04 07:57:23 (permalink)
    Are you using the VS 700 Maurice? The Bundle file method is a great idea Jeff. I'm sure it would preserve all the console data as well.

Craig DuBuc
    maurice38
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/04 08:56:00 (permalink)
    thanks jeff ans craig ..yes i am using the vs 700c  i think its great i havent exploredit to much just trying to get my head around sonar first then concentrate on the 700 im from the old school so all daw stuff if is new to me but i can see the benifits ....my 24 track in the old days was 50 grand and the deskwas 75k  not to mention the effects ....ive been out of it for 20 years and got back into it 2 years ago with a roland 2480 jsut on principal 8 grand for what cost me a fortune 20 years ago .....now i went vs 700 i love the unlimited tracks and effects and just the whole thing .....i see you guys here a lot and no dought youll see me alot now here too ...my gear list is as follows  if you guys are interested ...rol    
    roland g-70
    korg oasys
    roland v-synth
    tchelicon voice works plus
    roland ds-8 monitors
    roland td-20 drum kit
     and the computer set up is
    Computer Case ATX2 24 Pin InWin J508TBK41UAAD3Y
    Power Supply ATX2 24 Pin Enhance ENP-5150G
    Mainboard Intel Asus P6T DELUXE V2 GREEN FF-ATX
    RAM Desktop DDR3 DDR3 Transcend TS1333KLU-6GK 3X2Gb = 6 GbKit
    Hard Disk SATA 3.5" Desktop Drive WD WD1002FBYS 1 Terabyte
    Hard Disk SATA 3.5" Desktop Drive WD WD3000HLFS 10,000 rpm 300 Gb
    Video Cards Nvidia V9280 Jaton Q290NVS-X256L2
    Video Cards Nvidia V9280 Jaton Q290NVS-X256L2
    DVD DVD-RW LG GH22NP20 22x
    DVD DVD-RW LG GH22NP20 22x
    Software Operating System Microsoft Windows MS Vista Business XP ProDowngrade 32Bit
    CPU Socket LGA1366 Intel i7-920 @ 2.66 Ghz 8 Mb cache
    Jon Con
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re:sending projects to other sonar 8 users 2009/08/04 21:00:36 (permalink)
    Maurice there is also another possibility for you guys to try out.  Sign up for a drop box account (there's a link below which will give you more details). Keep the log in details and tell the other guys the user name and password.

Dropbox is similar to yousendit but what it will do is setup a folder on your computer, all you have to do is drag files into the folder and the program automatically uploads it to the net. If you right click the file, you'll be able to generate a weblink for it so can include that in emails. 

If everyone you're working with has the log in details and installs dropbox on their computer, they'll be able to synchronise their folder with the one online and automatically download the file as they get it. If that fails you can also send them a message with the link to the new file. 

I'm currently using drop box alot with another guy who uses logic and send OMFs back and forth alot with the project bit depth, sample rate, tempo and time signature included in the file so if they need to make any changes they can. It's also handy for sending wavs back and forth as you asked.

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTg3NzM5MDk

Jon Con
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1