recording live drums

Author
JoeyVanzetti
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2009/08/22 10:58:09 (permalink)

recording live drums

I'm trying to record drums to a click and a guitar guide track and finding it really really hard to keep in time

no matter how loud i set the click or the guide track, i just cant hear it enough when im playing!

Also it doesn't sound brilliant when I play it back either but that's down to other things like the room and mic placement etc

Ideally i'd like to keep the acoustic kit but it causes a lot of problems. I was considering purchasing a full electronic drum kit like the roland td9 which i've used before but it costs loads

it all just seems so much easier to record and mix with but I dont know.....

any thoughts?

thanks

16 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/22 11:08:04 (permalink)
    studiocat.com

JetCity PD2

JoeyVanzetti
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/22 11:13:57 (permalink)
    hey thanks for the link, looks interesting

i should've mentioned that I still want to be able to physically play a drum kit, just torn between and electronic and acoustic one
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/22 11:18:39 (permalink)
    The electronic kit might just be the answer. You can choose from a list of nice sounding samples (some are awesome) , regulate the volume as needed to hear what you're playing, and you don't have issues with the room or mics....

I have heard a number of drummers complain about playing with a click track and/or coming into a studio to lay down the drums after the other instruments. I did a song demo years ago in a (16 track to tape) studio and the drummer did have some real problems playing with the existing tracks....

I use Jamstix.... since I am not a drummer, and don't wish to mess with live miking a kit.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/22 11:56:37 (permalink)
    JoeyVanzetti

hey thanks for the link, looks interesting

i should've mentioned that I still want to be able to physically play a drum kit, just torn between and electronic and acoustic one

Jim designed JetCity PD2 to be the ULTIMATE sample set for playing on an electronic drum kit.

I think he accomplished his goal.

best regards,
    mike

Andrew G
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/22 12:33:20 (permalink)
    One things for sure.  If you don't have a proper recording facility for recording an acoustic drum kit you will get far superior, more reproducable, and infinitely more tweakable results using an e-kit and a decent set of drum samples.

Personally I use a set of V-Drums to trigger Superior Drummer 2.1.  It sounds fantastic, and you can use the mixer to mix your drums in the same way as you would your acoustic kit. 

There's loads of drum samples out there, most of which sound excellent.  Just look at the specs and choose the one that best suits your needs. (BFD2, Jet City and Ocean Way drums are also highly thought of.  As for the kit itself v-drums usually come out on top, especially the higher end kits like the td-12.  Also look into the likes of Studiokat and VPT Percussion for alternatives.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Q6600, Windows 7, FA-66, Sonar 8.5.2 Producer, Rapture, Komplete 5, SD2.2 with New York and Metal Foundry SDX, Nocturn, Remote Zero, KRK 6's, Fantom X8, V-Synth V2, TD-9K, Guitars. Anyone know where I can get some talent?!
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 00:55:13 (permalink)
    I know a number of drummers that use a cowbell sound as the click sound (I think there is one available in the audio-click mode of Sonar). It seems to cut through the mix better. Be sure to use closed-back headphones to avoid leakage into the drum mic's.

It took me a while to get a good sound with an acoustic kit. There are some playing techniques that make a difference and drum tuning, head selection, etc can make a huge difference (avoid open hihat rides at all cost). The room can make a big difference too, but close mic placement can help a bit. Mic selection is important too. The kick mic is usually a fairly specialized large dynamic. Overheads are usually condensers or ribbons. Snare and toms are somewhat varied, but a 57 is fairly common. Moon-gel or similar damping on the snare can make a difference in killing resonance at the snare (but can be eq'd out later in most cases). Sometimes fractions of an inch in mic placement can make a difference. I have often mic'd hihat, but seldom ended up using the track. I try to avoid compression during recording, but sometimes use limiting before the a/d to keep a testosterone-inspired take from causing clipping. If you don't have a kick mic, you can use a 57 (or equivalent) to get the beater slap, and use a speaker into a direct box as a mic to pick up the low end. Another trick to enhance kick is to use a spare floor tom (preferably with only one head) set a few feet out from the kick with a mic close to the head. (It picks up a nice ring for hip-hop tracks that you can mix seperately to taste).

Mixing tricks can be a help, but can't make a bad performance or recording into a gem. I've had some luck with multiband compression on kick to bring out the low end and beater click (and eliminate most of the rest). One favorite lick I've used is to copy a weak snare track to a new track and pitch it up or down about a fourth, and send both track to the drum bus. Also using a compressor (with some attack delay) to put a point on the snare and toms. Parallel (New York) compression is a fairly common trick in drum mixing (try google). A transient plug in can be useful on snare and toms as well. Toms can be enhanced with an eq to peak the fundamental and another peak on the stick hit. Watch the high end EQ for cymbals and hi hat. Pan for realistic images. I usually avoid extreme wide panning to leave room for guitars and reverb returns at the outside edges. Mic bleed isn't necessarily a problem, but I usually gate toms to keep the sympathetic ringing under control.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 08:29:09 (permalink)
    Andrew G

One things for sure.  If you don't have a proper recording facility for recording an acoustic drum kit you will get far superior, more reproducable, and infinitely more tweakable results using an e-kit and a decent set of drum samples.

Personally I use a set of V-Drums to trigger Superior Drummer 2.1.  It sounds fantastic, and you can use the mixer to mix your drums in the same way as you would your acoustic kit. 

There's loads of drum samples out there, most of which sound excellent.  Just look at the specs and choose the one that best suits your needs. (BFD2, Jet City and Ocean Way drums are also highly thought of.  As for the kit itself v-drums usually come out on top, especially the higher end kits like the td-12.  Also look into the likes of Studiokat and VPT Percussion for alternatives.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

This would be cool for me... maybe I'll get a V-Drum someday... because I have sampled my real drum kit at 20 layers and made a custom SessionDrummer2 kit.

It would sorta be like playing my own kit.

:-)

The cool thing about JetCity PD2 is that the Kontakt engine and scripting allowed Jim Roseberry to do things you just don't get to do with most playback engines. That's why JetCity FEELS so expressive when you play it.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/08/23 08:30:10

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 11:07:03 (permalink)
    As much as you guys love these sample packs...and don't get me wrong, I have some of them....I just don't like to hear songs where they've been used on an entire drum kit.  MOST of the time I can tell because the dynamics and expression of the drums is so stagnant.

I'd like to encourage the OP to continue working on recording live drums.  It doesn't happen overnight...it takes a lot of practice.  Yes, it's HARDER to record your own sounds with a live player.  But it sure does feel good once you've reached a point where you no longer NEED to augument or replace your recorded sounds with sampled sounds.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 12:34:17 (permalink)
    To the OP: skullsession is an authority on this subject. Listen to some of his recordings and you will quickly come to respect and solicit his expert opinion.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 12:52:25 (permalink)
    Hey, I know how to record drums too!!!

:-)

skullsession
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/23 23:32:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bit...but I certainly can't let you get away with calling me an authority on any of this stuff!  I do have some practical experience, and I'm more than happy to share it when asked.

I do prefer live drums.  And I do think it's important to learn how to record a kit, especially for those of us who are trying to record "real" bands - which have a real person playing the drums.  (I still use drum loops all the time during the writing stage.)

Don't get me wrong...I still augment sounds with samples when needed.  But I rarely ever use the sample as the main part of the sound.

I'm just saying...don't give up on learning to mic the kit.  Keep trying.  Augment or replace when you've screwed it up and re-tracking isn't an option.  Pretty soon you'll stop screwing it up.  THEN, you can augment because you WANT TO instead of feeling like you HAVE TO!

Playing to a click is a whole other ball game!  Some guys can't....come guys can.  I try to stay away from anything that sounds even remotely close to a percussion instrument.  I use a short BEEP sound...it cuts pretty well through the mix without having to be at headache levels.  Drummers seem to like it.

You need some good isolation headphones if you don't already have them. This keeps the bleed of the live kit from drowning out your headphones.  You'll be able to track with the phones at a more humane level while not losing your click in the mess.

Keep at it...it's not easy.

Tell us about your room....size?  height?  Floor materials?  And what mics do you have?

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/24 08:27:51 (permalink)
    There are products out there designed specifically for drummers.  Here is a headphone set designed by a drummer.  I have been using an earlier version of this product for many years and they are great.

They were originally designed specifically for the issues that drummers playing a kit encounter when practicing and in the studio (i.e., hearing the click or music over the drums).

Dave

http://gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2009/08/24 08:29:46
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:recording live drums 2009/08/24 08:41:56 (permalink)
    Here is another headphone set by Vic Firth, again, designed specifically for drummers.  I have never tried them so I can't say anything good or bad about them but, I have been using Vic Firth drumsticks exclusively for mor than 20 years. 

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/headphones.html

Dave
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2009/08/24 08:44:34
    JoeyVanzetti
    Re:recording live drums 2009/09/15 12:52:36 (permalink)
    argh sorry for the long reply, I've been without internet for a while!

anyway, I took what all you guys said into account and decided to stick at recording live drums

I started messing more with compressors, eq's etc and amazed myself at whats possible from a mixing point of view with drums

I also gave my room a bit more treatment which helped

anyway thanks again!

and just to anyone else whos considering giving up recording acoustic drums, dont give in
    skullsession
    Re:recording live drums 2009/09/16 07:28:29 (permalink)
    Good for you, Joey!  It's a long process figuring out your process....but you'll have a great time with it.  There are wonderful things on the internet to read about this subject, and they will help, but there is nothing like getting in there and doing it over, and over, and over again.

But once you get drums right, your whole song/project jumps to the next level.

Good luck!

tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:recording live drums 2009/09/18 11:14:53 (permalink)
    quantumeffect

Here is another headphone set by Vic Firth, again, designed specifically for drummers.  I have never tried them so I can't say anything good or bad about them but, I have been using Vic Firth drumsticks exclusively for mor than 20 years. 

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/headphones.html

Dave

These might have been the best $50 I ever spent towards recording live drums.  Something else to add is that it really helped me over time to practice drumming with the headphones and a metronome or click track.  After a while it becomes second nature and recording with a click is more natural.

It took me two years of trying before I started getting sounds that I was proud of, but as others have mentioned, it was so worth it.  Something that worked well for me was to work on different tones until I was satisfied.  I worked on getting the kick sound that I wanted exclusively until I was happy with it.  Then I moved on to the snare etc.  The snare for me has been by far the toughest to get right.

Good Luck!

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1