Child of Life

Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2009/08/22 20:44:41 (permalink)

Child of Life

While my wife was in the hospital recovering from our latest edition to the family I burned the midnight oil to get this recorded. This is my first rough draft. The vocals are just for reference, it's a scratch track. I will be adding a harmony at the bridge, and some backing vocals still. All in all it turned out pretty good for a simple arrangement. It sits at 14 tracks right now. And that's with 2 mics on the acoustic, 2 on the electrics.

Let me know what you think so far!
"Child of Life"
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=8006759&q=hi

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

24 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 21:25:38 (permalink)
    Wow--beautiful!  Really love your vocals.  That harmonica is just right.  Love the drums. guitars...what else is there?  Well, phooey...it's just all good. First rough draft, huh?  Great job!  And congrats on the new addition.  :-) You might continue to burn the midnight oil for awhile...but not in the studio. :-(  
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 21:29:39 (permalink)
    Pretty tasty Ron. Congrats on the new addition.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 22:00:10 (permalink)
    Congratulations Ron, sounds like a pretty song too.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 22:00:51 (permalink)
    In all fairness I should clarify what I mean by "first rough draft"!

I wrote this around 89-90ish, and this is the 5th time (I think 5th) that I recorded it. However, this is the first time with this arrangement. I did a go on it in Sonar 2.5xl in 2003, and I used a peavey mixer into a soundblaster card to record it using a dr-660 for drums. It had like 5 vocal tracks plus 3 live female backers, lots of guitar work, etc. I just wanted to strip it down and have a nice tone and feel. I usually scream out the bridge/chorus, but I want to keep a laid back rock feel to it this time.

I was really into Lenny Kravitz when I wrote this...so if you hear any similarites between this and "Rosemary" off of Let Love Rule...it's purely coincidental! BTW, that song and album are awesome!

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 22:30:34 (permalink)
    You've been busy...... congrats! Nice job on the tune....and the new family member.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/22 23:12:14 (permalink)
    Ron, this is very nice - the vox are really great.

Congratulations on the little one. I've got one that's 31 - she's still my little one.

Great tune.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/23 15:10:16 (permalink)
    Nice song. You need to tame the low end.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/23 16:32:16 (permalink)
    Happy baby, Pops!!  That is a wonderful time of life FOR THEM!!  Seriously, congrats on the baby and the song.   It is a very pretty arrangement.   It is a very pretty song!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/23 18:12:13 (permalink)
    Paul Russell

Yup, I am ceasing any more recording until that's done. The low-end is a huge challenge on this tune. I am doubling all the bass notes in midi, and plan on cutting lows out of the electric bass; replacing them with a synth so it's better controlled. I want a nice, fuzzy bass sound with a bit of room verb. Getting the warmth out of it without the bombastic peaks has been really tough.

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/23 22:37:09 (permalink)
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!  Cool song.  You've got a really good voice, man.  The mix sounds good to me, even you claim it's a rough draft.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/23 23:46:40 (permalink)
    geeare1

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!  Cool song.  You've got a really good voice, man.  The mix sounds good to me, even you claim it's a rough draft.

Thanks!

It really is pretty rough. The mother-in-law was over today, so I spent the day (hiding in the studio) trying to get a balance between the bass and drums. It's better, but still not there. The bass line is pretty active, with a lot of nice runs. I really want to showcase it, but not make the mix mud. The midi thing didn't work like I wanted. So I just did the 3 root notes during the heavier parts. I may not keep it though, it interferes with the bass fills to a point.

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/24 00:05:46 (permalink)
    Nice tune! At least on my bedroom speakers, there's a bit of 'one note bass' going on I think, in the choruses anyway, though it's always hard to judge on these speakers. The emphasized bass frequencies don't seem to be complementing the guitars so well in the choruses, and there's some kind of resonant frequency showing up on most notes. A lot of it may not be the bass itself, I dunno. Might be just needing more complentary EQ between the guitars and bass, something I always struggle with.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/24 14:41:53 (permalink)
    Hey Ron,

Love the intro. Great mood setter. Vocs are great. Oh ya, a bit of harmonica for that extra summer feel. Arrangement is excellent and the mix sounds good in the cans. I know you'll figure out the low end. All the elements are there, just needs a tad of tweaking. Great job!

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/24 14:50:46 (permalink)
    Nice start!! Cool to write something "in the moment...". Great vibe to this. Can't wait to hear the final version.

Now get back to changing those diapers!!!
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/27 00:34:46 (permalink)
    droddey

Nice tune! At least on my bedroom speakers, there's a bit of 'one note bass' going on I think, in the choruses anyway, though it's always hard to judge on these speakers. The emphasized bass frequencies don't seem to be complementing the guitars so well in the choruses, and there's some kind of resonant frequency showing up on most notes. A lot of it may not be the bass itself, I dunno. Might be just needing more complentary EQ between the guitars and bass, something I always struggle with.

There was a lot going wrong with the bass...it was a challenge to fix too!

I ended up following note to note a softsynth with a simliar sounding bass (although I just did the root notes in the heavier sections). I used a multiband compressor to pull back the bottom end of the original bass.

I just uploaded a mix I think is almost there. I added a harmony part in the middle, and the backrounds. The vocals don't sit quite right yet, but they are pretty close.

New mix in the link in the first post

Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/27 18:50:41 (permalink)
    Well...never say never!!!

I did some touch-ups today after I had my wife's sister check it out.  Think I can put a fork in it...that is unless someone notices any minor easy mix fixes!

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/27 19:05:26 (permalink)
    Paul Russell

+1 on taming the low end.

+2 on the song being great.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/29 17:42:09 (permalink)
    I don't know about taming the low end (on my K701 cams) ... it is easy on my ears (the way I personally like mixes to be)

But this is my fav of yours to date.

(I note your judicious use of tambourines)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/29 18:38:05 (permalink)
    What a bloody awesome song..got such a late 60`s early 70`s vibe  you couldn`t have named this tune any better than Child of Life.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/29 23:39:03 (permalink)
    alkie

What a bloody awesome song..got such a late 60`s early 70`s vibe  you couldn`t have named this tune any better than Child of Life.

It actually used to have a working title of "Fly"...but there are like 10,000 songs named that!

I did some minor tweaking to soften the trails on the lead in vox, but that's about it.

I have something truly awesome going right now....I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I am doing a Beatles cover that I changed the arrangement on. It's one of those deals where it sounds WAY better than I envisioned it. So trying to stay true to the masters by not hacking this up I plan on putting in the hours to get it right! I can't wait to post it, but there are some key elements not in it yet.

josh2473
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/30 01:41:03 (permalink)
    Hey, Great song and congrats on the new addition to the family!

Joshua Melton

Dell E520 Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHZ 1066FSB 4G of RAM. Sonar4 Producer, 2 Lacie Ext HD 250 GB for audio & 500 GB for programs, Behringer Truth B2030A Monitors, Philharmonik Miroslav, BFD, BFD Percussion & BFD Deluxe. Tascam DM-3200 w/IF-FW
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/30 02:37:01 (permalink)
    Hi, Ron,

Congratulations on both the new addition and the really great song!  Nice playing, clean, full mix and dynamite vocals!  The layered harmonies in the chorus are excellent and really put the icing on the cake!

Bob

Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/31 17:13:28 (permalink)
    Wow! Very impressed. The quality of the recording/mixing hit me first and made me realise that I've got a lot to learn.

The acoustic guitar made me think of the Black Crowes for some reason, maybe 'Thorn in my Pride'

It was a pleasure listening to this!

If I do have a suggestion then maybe it would be in the last minute of the song. To add to the dynamics of the piece, have you thought about singing 'Child of Life' an octave higher in the outtro to give it that lift.

Cheers for letting me listen to a great song

Rod

Could you tell us a bit more about the plugins/settings, processes, mic's etc that were used PLS?    

post edited by Rodar6 - 2009/08/31 17:16:26

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Child of Life 2009/08/31 22:14:56 (permalink)
    Rodar6

Wow! Very impressed. The quality of the recording/mixing hit me first and made me realise that I've got a lot to learn.

The acoustic guitar made me think of the Black Crowes for some reason, maybe 'Thorn in my Pride'

It was a pleasure listening to this!

If I do have a suggestion then maybe it would be in the last minute of the song. To add to the dynamics of the piece, have you thought about singing 'Child of Life' an octave higher in the outtro to give it that lift.

Cheers for letting me listen to a great song

Rod

Could you tell us a bit more about the plugins/settings, processes, mic's etc that were used PLS?    

Thanks for the kind words, but egads that would be a lot to go through! 
    At least for vox..
    On the main vox I did 3 tracks. The initial track, then I doubled it. I intended to just pull together the best parts of both, but ended up running the double at about a quarter of the volume just to fill it out. If there was a timing problem, I use the envelope tool (volume) on the secnd track. Like if held a note too lonng I just dropped the volume. If you listen to the doubled track alone it sounds pretty weird, but you can't hear it mixed together with the initial vocal. The main vox are pretty monotone, so I didn't use any compressors until it hit the bus, which helps the blend anyway. For that I used the vintage compressor plug. I used a mild verb plug (lexicon), then the sonitus delay synced to the tempo. The delay is mostly off, I used the envelope tool to control the delay mix, and automate it to trail the end of a passage. The third track just comes in at the bridge, and it harmonizes with me pushing the vocal harder.
    I'm using an AKG4000B into a Mackie sattelite (onyx pre). Everything else is done in digital.

The backrounds were a bit harder. I did 3 tracks of different harmonies. I try not to sing too well on the backs, because frankly most backs are sung by the other players (and they don't sing too well in my experience). In other words, I guess using the kiss principle for back harmonies works for me. I then used a symphonic chiors vst and did 2 different types of settings as a fill (just the basic notes)...then mixed it way back. I tightened up the backs better now; it's funny how a minor tweak can completely change a sound.

The acoustic sound is not really there for me on this track, it sounds a bit brittle. I don't think there is any more I can do to it though. I used the same AKG, and an SM57 at the 12th fret about 6 or more inches away from the strings. The problem I had is the dynamics of the picking part is much quieter, so when the strumming came in, it stuck out of the mix like a sore thumb. I had to throw a compressor on it, and even backed off a bunch it still squashes it quite a bit. It would have been better if I just made different tracks for the different parts. Anyway, each mic gets it's own track. I try to optimize the charachter of each track, then send them to their own bus. I used a mild chorus, then reverb.

I may try that octave thing...but I have to finish the next tune first though before I can get back to it....well, hmmm...I am doing vocals tonight, maybe I'll just do it while it's set up?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1