(Dancehall) TDN - Wine n Simma (UPDATE)

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/08/31 02:31:09 (permalink)

(Dancehall) TDN - Wine n Simma (UPDATE)

Its been a busy weekend. The boys laid down 1 full track and 3/4 of another. This is the first.

Background music is The Quan (not original). This was the first song they worked on together and they wanted to record their own original rap the the background music from the Foxy Brown song (with out any of the original vocals).

Rawley raps first, Jude second, and Adrian third. Each has about a third of the song. Rawley also raps the 'chorus'.

Any feedback about the recording, production or the mix is most appreciated, as that is my contribution.

Wind and Simmer (Dancehall)

UPDATE - fixed the pans and smoothed out the voices some. Added a we bit of twinkle and gave the bottom end a shove.
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/02 01:11:50

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

11 Replies Related Threads

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/08/31 09:52:30 (permalink)
    It sounds like you're working with some talented guys there Shad.  The mix and production sound very good to my ears. 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/08/31 10:20:44 (permalink)
    The whole thing sounds good.  I'm surprised I made it through a whole rap piece.  This was engaging.  Lot's of variety in the delivery and that hook 'heyyyyyy' was very nice.

Mix was crystal clear to my ears perhaps a bump on the bass a bit but, again, i'm at work on small speakers.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    foxwolfen
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/08/31 13:04:31 (permalink)
    John - Thanks. Yeah, there are some nice moments in this.

Rick - I think the variety of the delivery is what will make these guys work well. Jude has great attitude, Adrian has swagger (you can tell he is from DC lol). Rawley sounds a bit strained to me - forced. He may not like it, but I am going to suggest we retrack his parts.

I am thinking that I pooched the eq on Jude's part. When the volume goes up, it starts to sound a bit ringy.

Adrian's lead is completely untreated. They are raw tracks. How amazing is that? I would say that we found the right mic for him. I may do a very small amount of dynamics processing on them and that's it.

The other two, I am going to have to find mics that work better for them. Both the LDC and dynamic are to presency for Jude, and too flat for Rawley.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/08/31 17:07:30 (permalink)
    Is this rap?  Where are the vulgarities?  Or can I just not hear them?

I can't comment on the tune as I'm not hip, but the mix is smooth and clear, very clear.  What mics do you use?

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    foxwolfen
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/08/31 18:00:48 (permalink)
    Heheh. They do have some strong language - but not on this song.

I use an Audiotechnica Cardioid LDC and a Pevey Omni dynamic (the imrov bits in the background were on the dynamic as it is more punchy)

Composers Forum
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/01 22:44:41 (permalink)
    This is a most excellent mix. Impressive. You did that Shad?

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/02 10:22:45 (permalink)
    It's very clear and balanced, seems very well recorded and compression, eq etc (where you have it) on the vox sound really good. One thing though, I think you need to drop the vox just a few dB. They totally get the upper hand against the riddim as it is now and the beat should really move everything else with the vox just floating on the surface as it is now the beat becomes a little more like a back drop. Now I aint tryna dis you at all, it sounds really good but aint really kickin me in the stomach and punchin me in the throat yet (I feel comfortable you'll get it there though).

Those are some talented singers/rappers you hooked up with, really good voices and I really like the flow they had but maybe to fit the beat they could use just a pinch more attitude or agression in their voices (not much though just a hint). The recordings are really good though so maybe just a little slow attack compression with only a few dB GR to bring out attack in the voices?

Now I'm only lookin forward to hearin them on some more riddims you made
    post edited by Legion - 2009/09/02 10:25:42

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/02 17:00:35 (permalink)
    The mix and production are exceptional. nice work Shad.
    foxwolfen
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/02 20:31:53 (permalink)
    JC - Yeah, I know, whooda thunk it?

Legion - Thanks for the feedback. I was about to hunt you down, as I had not seen you in a while.

I had spoken to Rawley about re-tracking his rap at least, and perhaps the first few measures on the chorus. I agree with the attack on the vox, and the attitude - I have been trying to get Rawley to find his "character". Every now and then he hits it, and so we are working on getting it consistent.

I think I will try your attack trick. I had not considered that, but it may help. Half the time I do dynamics processing though, I make a mess... soooo.... we shall see .

The volume of the background has been brought up (I had actually turned it down a few DB just prior to export). I am not going to do much more to the background, as I convinced the boys that an original track is better to do, so it will be replaced soon (I am taking a couple of days off as I have been at this non-stop for the last few weeks and oddly I have this strange desire to watch TV - strange as I never get desires to watch tv).

John - I am just trying to keep up with you.

Composers Forum
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/03 11:50:26 (permalink)
    Wow - not at all what I was expecting, but very cool.  This is the kind of soulful rap that I can really get into - can I borrow these guys for a weekend?!   The mix and production sound pretty near perfect to me - every element has its own space and despite the minimal instrumentation, the mix still packs plenty of punch.  I like it!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

foxwolfen
    Re: TDN - Wind And Simmer (Dancahall) 2009/09/03 13:01:39 (permalink)
    cryophonik

Wow - not at all what I was expecting, but very cool.  This is the kind of soulful rap that I can really get into - can I borrow these guys for a weekend?!

For sure, if I can borrow Avonlea.

Thanks for the kind words. Give how much I respect your abilities and music, they mean a great deal.

Cheers

Shad

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1