Need Advice Recording Vocals

Author
Faust1587
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2009/09/11 02:13:04 (permalink)

Need Advice Recording Vocals

Hello, I've been having trouble getting what I want vocal wise.  Sometimes certain parts of the vocals are too loud or too soft or sound too far away.  I should definately invest in some kind of mic stand because right now I'm just holding the mic in my hand and this is why the vocals sound different each time I record.  I know compression is the way to go for something like this too, but how do you use it? For instance what settings? I have Sonar 4 Producer Edition. Also, what kind of reverbs do you recomend? There are so many kinds.  I'm trying to get the vocals to sound kind of ominous....spooky. 

13 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/11 03:00:44 (permalink)
    Ho boy...

I would seriously invest some time searching this forum as I and others have answered this question in detail more than once.

1. Stand still.

2. Keep the mic (assuming its a dynamic) a couple of inches away, and ensure you are singing into the top, not the side.

3. Breath correctly. Do not breath from the stomach, or chest.

4. Drop your shoulders. Raising our shoulders is a natural reaction to stress and singing into the mic causes most people some stress. Keep the shoulders dropped will help keep an even volume from your voice.

5. Limit the vocals: fast attack (2ms) and fast release (25ms), hi ratio - 10:1 to infinity). This keeps the huge volume changes under control while preserving dynamics.

6. Low cut using EQ, roll off at about 100-70 hz. Adjust mids (cut) to reduce harshness (not too much) and boost the hights a small amount to help with brightness.

7. Compress. Slower attack (20ms), slower release (250-500ms). Low ratio (4:1 or less).

This is a starting point only. Adjust from there as needed.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/11 03:03:52

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/11 03:27:31 (permalink)
    Also use volume envelopes on the track or clips  for parts that are really out of wack with the dynamics, lowering or raising the volume in that clip or area of that track-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/11 08:46:04 (permalink)
    Good advice ^^^^^

I will...well...have in the past, held my mic in my hands when I sang. I like to have my mouth as close to the mic as I can get.... usually (now days) 1 to 4 inches and I use a POP SCREEN to keep the plosives out of the mic. 

Good technique.... sing directly into the mic, sing on a strong voice, breathing, etc are all extremely important.

Be sure the DAW settings are set the same from one session to the next.

DO NOT.... do not use reverb, compression, double tracking/cloning to try to enhance your vocal track.  Record it DRY, and work to get your vocals sounding as good as possible. People getting started...including me, back in the day, will load the vocal track with reverb, compression, EQ adjustments, doubling, and more ...all in the name of trying to hide a poor recording, and thinking by adding this stuff the track will somehow sound "professional", when the exact opposite it the case.

Your vocal ability is like anything else..... the more you work on it the better and stronger it will become. Exercise it by using it.  Understand that unless you work on making it better (by practicing more than 10 minutes a day) it will likely not improve. AND..... your voice may never get to where you think it should. Ignore that...we all feel that way.

After you get a decent recording.... a dry take that sounds OK.....then you can add a "little bit of spice" with the reverb and the compression and EQ..... but go easy on those things.  Once you place the voice correctly in a decent sounding mix, add the tiny bit of spice in the right proportion (EQ, verb, comp) you will be amazed at how nice it actually sounds.

So yeah, get a mic stand and a pop filter (you can make your own for a few bucks)...and start working on that voice.

BTW: I like to move with the music...get into it... so to speak, because it sounds better when I'm digging the music.... and I sometimes set down when singing.  Something To Die For ...on my soundclick , was recorded setting down, mic at about 1" through a pop filter.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/09/11 08:47:22

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/11 14:14:32 (permalink)

So yeah, get a pop filter (you can make your own for a few bucks)

Pair of tights & a metal coat hanger.

If you're REALLY shy you can buy the tights online.

post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2009/09/11 14:15:44

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    foxwolfen
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/11 15:39:21 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

So yeah, get a pop filter (you can make your own for a few bucks)

Pair of tights & a metal coat hanger.

If you're REALLY shy you can buy the tights online.

LMAO +10000 - almost exactly what I do LOL.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/12 15:48:23 (permalink)
    Excellent advice (Shad, Lance, G-Hacker)

Reverbs might be plate, IMO ... I use the same one for snare drums ... with 50 msec delay.  Verbs are oft generally felt but not heard.  (Though I violate the rule)

Oft its best (for me) to compress modestly on the vox track (10dcbs +/-) (despite voxengo-voxformer wonders) as the studio ambience also gets compressed to quirkiness.

Hence, an annechoic bass-trapping small-room studio may be advantageous to your/my vox.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/12 16:51:01 (permalink)
    Hey Faust,

I'd say #1 get a mic stand. A lot of the time we don't realize it, but when we're holding the mic we're unconsciously twisting & turning it ever so slightly. If your mic has a tight pattern, even a small tilt will result in a noticeable volume drop--and worse: crazy tonal variations and/or reflections from back walls.

Compression: I've recently become a BIG fan of recording with analog compression. Don't squash it to death... just tame the peaks a little, and the result will be amazing. Like Fox said, fast attack & fast release & high ratio. If it has a meter, set it to show Gain Reduction and watch the needle as you sing... it shouldn't move too much except on the really biting parts. That's a sign you've got a good peak limiter setting.

You want ominous & spooky vocals? Use more heavy compression, make the release longer (which translates into a sort of reverb trail). Mic-wise, turn on the low-freq filter switch if you've got one (the switch that looks like a little ramp), then get up real close to the mic, like as close as you can get without distorting.

If you want ghostly Halloween spooky, do the Ozzy Osbourne trick: copy your vocal track to 2 other tracks. On one copy, shift the pitch up a few cents and pan hard L. On the other copy, shift it down a few cents and pan hard R. (You could also just play with chorus, but that often sounds too obvious)

I've never had any luck with reverb. But maybe I just haven't found the right one.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/13 11:22:05 (permalink)
    Faust1587

Hello, I've been having trouble getting what I want vocal wise.  Sometimes certain parts of the vocals are too loud or too soft or sound too far away.  I should definately invest in some kind of mic stand because right now I'm just holding the mic in my hand and this is why the vocals sound different each time I record.  I know compression is the way to go for something like this too, but how do you use it? For instance what settings? I have Sonar 4 Producer Edition. Also, what kind of reverbs do you recomend? There are so many kinds.  I'm trying to get the vocals to sound kind of ominous....spooky. 

get a stand and a pop filter, as mentioned. you should also consider a portable vocal booth like the realtraps PVB or the SE reflexion filter. this, in combination with not moving your vocal mic stand or the position of your mic, will help immensely with getting the tone of your vocals more consistent from take to take. especially in an untreated room, a movement of inches can noticeably change the tone of your sound. your vocals will sound "far away" in an untreated room as well - the portable vocal booth will help with this, as will treating your room with bass traps.

besides filtering plosives (b's and p's), a pop filter can help you stay a consistent distance from the mic. get (or build) one big enough so you can put your nose just touching it. that way, you will at least be in the same position when tracking that you were last time.

train yourself to be aware of the dynamics in your voice. when singing, we tend to be louder at the start of a phrase than at the end. so you may want to tilt your head back at the beginning of a phrase and move it forward slowly as you get to the end. if you are really going to belt it out, lean back some, and if you are going to whisper, lean forward. soon you will develop a feel for where your head should be distance-wise from the mic in relation to how loud you are singing. it takes concentration and practice but you'll get it.

you can sing straight into the mic but i prefer to do it off-axis (indirect). this keeps the air coming out of your mouth from hitting the mic directly and helps a lot with sibilance ("ssss" sounds), clicking ("k"-sounds) and plosives (b's and p's). indirect tracking is less sensitive to dynamic changes, although it's harder to get an "in your face" sound.

you will be amazed at how much time mic technique will save you later during mixing. i used to spend lots of time with clip gain envelopes, now i just have to do a word here or there and handle the rest with compression.

on that note, it is preferable to get consistent volume before you do compression. a compressor is not a fix for dynamics that fluctuate over the length of a track. compressors are designed to even out dynamics over a short interval, not a long one. if you are unintentionally loud and then quiet over the length of a phrase (say a couple measures), compression will help some but it won't be anywhere near as transparent as actually fixing the signal level of the track through clip gain envelopes. and you want to use clip gain envelopes, not track volume envelopes, because they are first in the signal chain, before pre-FX and the volume slider.

for EQ, you will want to roll off the lows. how far is up to you, and how dense the mix is. the more dense the mix, the more you will want to roll off. i've gone as high as 300hz HPF with a 0.7q, or 250hz with a 1.0q. and you can go higher than that, depends on how you add back some warmth in the vocal at 200hz or so. you will want to find the fundamental and resonant frequencies of your voice for that particular song (depends on range) - you can do this with a spectrum analyzer like voxengo's SPAN, and they will be pretty obvious. typically they will be around 100hz and 800hz, but could be anywhere from 80-150hz and 600hz-1k. these frequencies you will want to cut with a vengeance. they will be the most dynamic, will sound the worst and will hide the rest of the tone of your voice.

your rolloff/cut EQ should be done before compressing the vocal, so you aren't triggering the compressor on stuff you want to get rid of anyway - and the compression will be applied more consistently. if you want to mess with the mids or highs then it's not as important whether it's ahead or behind the compressor.

vocals are almost always doubled. there are many ways to do it, but typically you clone the vocal track and delay it very short, and mix it in low. i use a crossing delay with very short delays (2 and 4ms) for a wide spread. another thing i've started doing lately is doubling myself an octave lower on the chorus and bringing that in low as well - gives a bit of depth to the chorus vocal which helps to set it apart from the verse. some people double an octave higher using a pitch shifter plugin. another method is to clone the vocal track, cut everything but the mids (centered between 2-3k), compress the daylights out of it and mix it in low. it will provide consistency, definition and edge to your vocals without the harsh, boxy sound that you would get from simply boosting 2.5k.

speaking of that frequency, i usually cut a small notch into my other tracks between 2-3k to let the vocals out a little more in the mix. it takes some experimentation to find out what frequency works best for your voice for this, you just have to listen closely. if the vocals are the focus of your song, then you will want to notch out some presence (5k) on the other tracks so they come through even more. a little notch on every other track can go a long way.

the most important thing though, is to make sure you can hear yourself when you are tracking vocals. hearing yourself gives you the confidence you need to lay down a great track. a lot of singers will have some reverb in the monitors just so they sound awesome to themselves (and it also does wonders for pitch) and it works great, although if you aren't doing input echo through sonar it can be hard to set up.

- jack the ex-cynic
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/13 18:14:56 (permalink)
    Buy Sonar 8.5...I understand that the vocal strip will make anyone sound like Tom Jones.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Kim Lajoie
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/14 03:46:04 (permalink)
    I've got some tips on recording vocals here:

http://kimlajoie.wordpress.com/tag/vocals/

Hope that helps!

-Kim.

foxwolfen
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/14 14:16:54 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

I've never had any luck with reverb. But maybe I just haven't found the right one.

Ducky - one of the best there is, and its free (you will need to search for more impulse waves, but there are tones of demos and samples).

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

You can buy the much better Sir2, but SIR 1 is free and still phenomenal.

Composers Forum
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/14 21:04:17 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

i always find it necessary to roll off lows and highs on reverb, and tame the mids a bit. less so with the perfect space reverb that comes with sonar 6. also, the "cleanness" of the source material makes a huge difference. verb should be post-EQ so you are giving it the cleanest signal to work with. otherwise you are multiplying the mud/harshness/boominess/etc.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Need Advice Recording Vocals 2009/09/15 10:57:35 (permalink)
    Fox & Jtec, thanks for the tips! I've decided to give reverb another whack. See tune in my sig. Muddiness has always been the big problem, but I'm learning there are ways around that

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1