Sampling Overlays

Author
KLRNTXS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2009/09/14 14:51:10 (permalink)

Sampling Overlays

Just finished my first full track with GTP4 and have some questions regarding sample overlays.

I have bounced to track all of my guitar audio trax order to save computer processing speed. Also did the same with all of my drum trax. It all works great sound is wonderful and the CPU is untaxed. I also, do not have but four internal VST's working, so no bog down from that issue.

However, new problem arose. When I started dropping little audio bytes into a new track the CPU went nuts. Here is the scenario. I wanted to drop a small audio byte from a recorded newscast in a solo section of the track. So I used the loop explorer, dropped the audio byte in and truncated the front and back end to the preferred length. Keep in mind this audio byte was in .wav format. Then suddenly, latency bog down and I hate you from the CPU.

So my question is should the audio byte be in .mp3 format rather than .wav; or should I bounce it to clip to reduce the size. Probably a little bit of both I am sure, but want to get some feedback on best usage with little CPU bog down.

p.s. for those asking I have 2 GB of ram, running on dual core processor. Not the most over the top machine but never had an issue till now with any type of audio software.

7 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 08:26:16 (permalink)
    Hello Jason and welcome.

More specifics about your system would help. Please see Strummys relevant information post here.

I would venture to guess with the information provided that you probably haven't had the chance to optimize your system for recording. A good set of instructions can be found here.

With a dual core processor running at 2 GHz or more you shouldn't have the need for bouncing down your tracks to conserve CPU processing power if the system is optimized. As for the wav vs MP3. GTP when it records saves the files to disk as WAV files and imported MP3s are converted wav files anyway. (look in the audio folder for the specific project and you will see what I mean).

I think your problem is a little deeper than just file type. I had Sonar 7 Producer running on a 2.3 GHz Turion X2, with 2 GB RAM and a 5400RPM, SATA 1 drive and was able to support up to 34 simulatneous tracks with little impact to my CPU.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

KLRNTXS
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 10:32:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Doc for the quick response. I read over a previous post you wrote regarding disc cleanup and the removal of background programs.

Good news. It helped tremendously. I should have tried that solution first, as I know better than to let that mess pile up. I am also going to try the ready boost feature with a flash drive I received. My guess is it wouldn't hurt.

You are correct about my system. Most of it is fairly standard material. However, I may look to upgrade in the future. But for now what I do is a 16 x 4 setup in GTP4 (more than enough for my usage). I record the guitar trax by direct input and use GR3 for amp simulation. Then I have found that if I bounce the guitar trax with the GR3 effect to a different track, I no longer need to have the GR3 effect open. Hence saving plenty of CPU usage.

Once again, thanks for all your help and I will be sure to let you know when I post our recordings.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 10:59:08 (permalink)
    Glad to be of help.

Doc
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 11:05:20 (permalink)
    Doc do I have a reason to get GPT4 since I have Sonar8 PE? I need something that can do prefabed loops for arranging and practice. Is GPT4 good for that?

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 11:23:54 (permalink)
    You could use GTP4 for that but S8PE has an advanced loop edit feature that allows you to do a lot more than GTP4. My suggestion would be to use what you have. Unless you want a lite version to take along on a laptop. Then I would go with SHS7. But that would be my preference.

Doc

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 12:16:49 (permalink)
    Thank you so much Doc!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

FingerBone Bill
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    Re:Sampling Overlays 2009/09/15 19:09:44 (permalink)
    Doc_Hollingsworth

You could use GTP4 for that but S8PE has an advanced loop edit feature that allows you to do a lot more than GTP4. My suggestion would be to use what you have. Unless you want a lite version to take along on a laptop. Then I would go with SHS7. But that would be my preference.

There is a loop edit window in GTP4 Doc - not sure if the SHS7 is more advanced, but then I'm not (so far) a loops .... (just like I wasn't into midi eh )

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1