RECORDING AUDIO

Author
nightriderXL
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1249
2009/09/15 16:31:27 (permalink)

RECORDING AUDIO

Would anyone know about recording from an outside source into Sonar Home Studio or Project 5 , I purchase a used QY300 last week and it sounds great by itself or hooked into my mixer then out to speakers but when I record a track in Project 5 the sound is different it losses that great sound .
Could it be I recording onto a Audio track , I trying to figure out if it my sound card or Project 5 would anyone know the best way to record Audio from an outside source into Project 5 or even Home Studio 7 XL that I also have ?

With my QY300 I can create my own drum track in STEP MODE note for note , last night I pulled out some of my old drum music books from the days when I took all my drum lessons and created a 20 measure drum track , in the QY300 it sounded great but when I tried to run it into my mixer then into my soundcard and tghen into Project 5 recording on a Audio track it recorded ok but playback didn't sound as good as it did coming out of the QY300 .
That was the whole purpose for me buying this QY300 you can create complex music note by note in Step mode recording you can't do that using any of the CakeWalk products , with the QY300 its very fast and easy if you know how to read drum music and I do .
There has to be a way to do this and end up with great sounding tracks , I'm just not sure my hookup is set up correctly .

I created a small 20 measure sample last night just before going to bed if you want to hear it, I would have to upload it onto SoundClick so you can hear what I'm talking about .

Check back later thanks.
post edited by nightriderXL - 2009/09/15 16:34:33

NIGHTRIDERXL -XP PRO - INTEL 3.0GHZ -3GB RAM MEMORY -GEFORCE 8500 1GB VIDEO CARD -E-MU O4O4 CREATIVE PRO SOUND CARD

61 KEY YAMAHA MIDI KEYBOARD -25 MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER AXIOM 25 - PEAVEY PV-6 MIXER
SONAR HOME STUDIO 7 XL - PROJECT 5 VERSION 2

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:RECORDING AUDIO 2009/09/15 16:39:11 (permalink)
    P5 should sound pretty much like the QY unless:

your recording technique is letting you down

or

your soundcard is.

What card, by the way?  And were you getting a nice, strong signal w/o overdriving it or P5?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    nightriderXL
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1249
    Re:RECORDING AUDIO 2009/09/15 17:56:38 (permalink)
    AT
    P5 should sound pretty much like the QY unless:
    your recording technique is letting you down
    or your soundcard is.

P5 is great but theres no way to create really great drum tracks using what they offer , with the QY300 you work with notes bars and measures and each measure has its own time signature that you choose before creating your drum pattern or fills .
    You can also create music in the same manner for piano or any other instrument if you read music , complex measures can be created easily with the QY300 if you know how to do it .
    My SoundCard is a ( E-MU  0404 CREATIVE PROFESSIONAL ) and my mixer is a ( PEAVY  PV - 6 ) .

What card, by the way?  And were you getting a nice, strong signal w/o overdriving it or P5?

I was getting a nice strong signal when I was recordering , on the back of my mixer you can hook into TAPE ( IN and OUT ) .
    It sounded great in my headphones but much different on playback after I recorded what it was I was recording on a Audio track.

NIGHTRIDERXL -XP PRO - INTEL 3.0GHZ -3GB RAM MEMORY -GEFORCE 8500 1GB VIDEO CARD -E-MU O4O4 CREATIVE PRO SOUND CARD

61 KEY YAMAHA MIDI KEYBOARD -25 MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER AXIOM 25 - PEAVEY PV-6 MIXER
    SONAR HOME STUDIO 7 XL - PROJECT 5 VERSION 2
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:RECORDING AUDIO 2009/09/15 20:21:17 (permalink)
    The emu card should be fine.  I suppose you have the QY hooked into the mixer which feeds the emu and monitors.  Be sure and set the mixer up so you are hearing what is coming out of the creative after recording, rather than the direct signal (I'm not familiar w/ the Peavy).  That is the quickest way to tell if something is set wrong in the card/P5.  The emu panel is supposed to be complex.  Also, you can never tell when something goes screwy in your DAW.  I did a OS reinstall and at first SONAR audio tracks came up w/ the aux 1 all the way up.  Needless to say, they were overdriving the master.  If the direct sound is still different than the sound coming out of the Emu, I would just comb through all the settings to see if something similiar is happening.

best of luck.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1