Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden?

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/09/17 01:12:28 (permalink)

Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden?

Odd question I know, but my last song is spoken word. Through headphones, the one thing that stands out to me is the silent passages are dead silent. It is almost jarring when a voice comes on or the piano gets intense. Some of it is due to the fact that I have not finished the enveloping yet, but the parts that have been are still disturbing.

What are your thoughts on adding a barely perceptible pink or white noise to the background to give it a bit of hiss?

Cheers
Shad
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/17 01:13:59

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

18 Replies Related Threads

rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 01:37:11 (permalink)
    I recently read an enlightening article about that in either Computer Music or Future Music magazine. The premise of the article was that total silence is unnatural, even in music, and that you can be better off keeping the "sound of the room". I would assume the same for spoken word.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 01:53:30 (permalink)
    Hey Shad,

Silence is golden :-)

Aww Yes, it can have that really nice dramatic effect with the arrangement when going from absolute silence to something simple like a piano melody then back to silence and then into a really nice ambient pad with sampled voices or whatever.

That's the beauty about silence, it opens up greater possibilities to do more with less and with unlimited possibilities. It's the  space between the notes that really count, from there any dramatic change can occur, from subtle soft ambience to full blown screaming guitars with fully laiden orchestra and choir backing! Wow talk about dramatic LOL!!

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 01:55:44 (permalink)
    Of course in film/video they get room tone - the loverly sound of almost silence to mix in after ADR in the studio.  Keeps it from sounding, as both you point out, unnatural.  Maybe try some room tone rather than noise.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SongCraft
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 02:17:21 (permalink)
    Importantly 'timing' is also critical when it comes to silence. IMHO I would not add pink noise or anything like that unless it sits nicely with the theme of the track. There are many other noises to consider, for example; Space Voyage, for reference listen to the musical work in any one of the series in Star Trek - in between the music you will hear a rumbling sound of the engine set 'very low in the mix'.
    post edited by SongCraft - 2009/09/17 02:22:24

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 02:29:33 (permalink)
    If it really sounds too weird then adding some noise could be a good thing for it. As others have suggested, try maybe just getting a still room sound rather than pink/white noise. Just turn the gain right up and record nothing so then you can pick up all the electrical noise and room noise and whatnot, then blend to taste - remembering obviously that it'll come up a bit depending on how much you like to compress your mixes.

I generally don't really like the saying "if it sounds good, it is good", but I think it's probably acceptable to use that phrase in this scenario. In many other cases the phrase may be better off being "if it sounds good, you may need more ear training to understand why it is actually sounds like arse".

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 03:16:30 (permalink)
    So thats what makes cam listening dramatic.  Thanks for sharing that.

Methinks I love noise colorations to the point where I'm leary to use gates accept with harsh artifacts.  The cams, I guess, have a gate-like effect. 

Some guitarists make a lot of feedback noises from their axes to fill the air.  Others gate out such noises ... preferring discrete notes. 

There are an aweful lot of cool ambient environmental noises (some more subtle than others) that are on the web ... but they don't help me much in car-listening or the loudness-race.

Bob Katz, IIRC in Mastering Audio, seems to me to respect noise-ambiences or subtle static fading in mixes at the end of songs.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 03:51:45 (permalink)
    Yes, an almost subliminal ambient atmosphere in the background works a treat and steers the listener into the mood you are trying to convey.

I almost think of it like those 'Hanna Barbera' type cartoons where the background scenery rotates and repeats endlessly like when Fred and Barney are driving along but it's far more effective than a pure white background. In fact it's the only thing that conveys forward motion.

Silence isn't natural and seems odd when we (don't) hear it.

Carefully chosen ambience is very effective in placing the listener in the context of what you are trying to get across, mostly it should just be 'there' but barely audible, pink noise would work but it tends to sound like somebody left a TV on with no signal somewhere as that would be the most common association that people would pick up on.

It's a key tool used in movie making, the aural ambience, although rarely noticed, often being key to the success of setting a scene.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 05:37:22 (permalink)
    There is plenty of music in this track and room tone would still add some atmosphere for sure. But the music can carry it by itself. I have got a CD of room tones and it is amazing, but they are reasonably easy to make. Assuming your house is very quiet at 3 AM!! I did it one night and got some pretty fine results. You can always edit out things like the odd Harley going past!! Its bloody amazing whats going on at 3 am with your mike gain really cranked. Now there is test folks for your mike self noise, and the noise in your preamps. You will be gunning for every db of gain you can get. Do this at 24 bit as well!!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 07:50:11 (permalink)
    I routinely record room tone for on location work we do. Each "tone" has it's own distinct vibe. We mainly record the tone to use for smoothing edits or hiding overdubs rather than just to use as a bed.

If your story has a theme and was recorded in a sterile studio... think about what room will be best suited.

Convolution reverb works wonders as well.

On the other hand, most listeners will have lots of extraneous noise in their listening circumstances so you probably don't want to get too aggressive adding tone.

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 09:55:10 (permalink)
    I vote for fart noises in place of "dead air".

Everybody likes a fart joke.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 10:27:12 (permalink)
    Can't go wrong with crickets

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 11:54:24 (permalink)
    SongCraft

for reference listen to the musical work in any one of the series in Star Trek - in between the music you will hear a rumbling sound of the engine set 'very low in the mix'.

As a hopeless trekkie, I can identify with that reference. That show had some of the most dramatic music ever created, and when it comes to full crescendo & drops to nothing, there's always that sound of the engines or the bridge computers to add to the desolation.

I think dead silence is the most powerful thing that we musicians have in our arsenal. So use it only when you really mean to. Foxy, in the case you're describing, it seems unintentional and as you said 'disturbing'. I went through the same issue with my Centipede tune a while ago. The vocals had a barely perceptible bleed from the crickets outside the window, and when the vox stopped so did the ambient crickets. It made things somewhat awkward, so I created a dedicated cricket track where I looped it throughout the whole song. (See, Ron, you're not the only one )

So yeah, I say go for some ambient noise. White noise, pink noise, rain, an air conditioner, or whatever if you think it'll add to the continuity of the piece. Then if you feel the specific need for silence, hit your audience with it and watch the fireworks.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    foxwolfen
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 13:44:23 (permalink)
    I'm going to try to address each reply within the paragraph, as everybody has a valid point.

The silence was intentional. I have been hunting and killing off noise like it was a infestation of bugs. The result was unexpected. Like ecosystems everywhere, even the lowest of the low is an important part of the system.

I thought back to what I was trying to emulate in sound (The spoken word part in the middle of "Passion Play, by Jethro Tull) and realized that while that song is on CD, the original was on tape and there would be tape noise.

I am thinking now, that it is the silence that is making the vocals a bit thin. They are also sounding a bit nasal (I need to look at the EQ) and reedy. Part of the reasons for this, I think, is two fold.

1.  The gain is too high on the mic (I ignored my own advice), and
    2. I was too close to the mic. This gives it a reedy sound (its not a great mic).

With the gain higher on some of the later takes, I was of course picking up more room noise and its absence is now very much more heard (and amplified by compression).

I think I should retrack at a lower gain and be a bit further from the mic (I will adjust the pop filter). I should then be able to bring the volume up in the daw while keeping the noise floor low.

I will then also record the room noise (at 3am and praying the dog doesn't decide to "participate" I have had to remove soooo many barks from tracks LOL).

SongCraft, you must be a painter. Negative space is often more important than positive in conveying drama in a drawing. I agree its juxtaposition in music is just as important, which is why I use pauses and silent passages in a lot of my music.

In this case I think its just too much and addressing Jeff's (very good) points in the song thread itself will probably make it even more apparent. I fear that will become the unintentional focus of listeners and that is not the desired result.

Thanks for the input guys.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 15:39:20 (permalink)
    If you are wanting the music in a bit more focus and the voice sitting a little back then you have done a fine job of that mix now.

I have got an expensive Rode Classic Mk 1 valve mike and coming in closer to that just sounds even better! So I would have said get in very tight with the mike and pop filter and keep the gain low and keep your room even more out of the equation.  (By the way a nice downward expander is just great for cleaning up unwanted room tone while recording vocals)

Tape hiss would sort of glue it all togther but I think quality room tone would be nicer to listen to than tape hiss. A very close recording of the voice then level out the voice as well would be a good idea. Then I would come in with a nice tight convolution reverb and send the voice and even a hint of the room tone into it as well and you will end up with lovely voice over with nice room tone as well. The fact that the voice and room tone are going into the reverb would be beautiful glue to hold it all together and all without tape hiss!

Then position this whole vocal sound  in relation to the music. On Sonar I would have two busses. One music and one vocal. Then it is easy to adjust those two things in respect of each other.

I use a small auritone type mono monitor and it is great for getting these balances right at low monitor gain as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 15:56:16 (permalink)
    Shad,
    I've got a suggestion that i'm going to use on some of my intense and quietly sobering heart break pieces of hopeless jilted desperation.

Giggling females in the background.   Just a bunch of s****ing and giggling young women unable to contain their scorn and derision.

I think it will add another dimension to my broody artistic sentiment.
    You could try it.   I've not patented it yet.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    SongCraft
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 16:35:26 (permalink)
    Shad, it's important to do what you feel is best for the piece, whatever sounds best to you. The possibilities are endless.

Painter? I do appreciate and love or forms of art. Which reminds me, the living room is due for painting, the ceiling first up. There must a million different shades of white LOL!! I might do a subtle blend 'abstract style', something unique ;-)

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 21:27:06 (permalink)
    1. The gain is too high on the mic (I ignored my own advice), and

Are you suggesting that your pre-amps sound bad on your vox with high gain compared to volume matched low gain recordings? Cause as long as you're not clipping and recording at 24bit, it would sound exactly the same - provided your preamps sound the same at low and high gains - which may not be the case. Or is there something I am missing here?

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

foxwolfen
    Re:Mixing Opinions? - Is silence golden? 2009/09/17 22:28:13 (permalink)
    Jeff - a Rode is on the top of my list of things to acquire. I have decided against Neumann, mostly because I have not heard one I like yet. I am a little confused why they cost as much as they do.

Rick - LAMO

Greg - Technicolor man, technicolor.

Matt - That would be correct. Once I hit a certain gain point, the preamps on this crappy Fastrack Pro start to add noise. I knew about it before hand, but in other music where the background threshold is much higher, it was not very apparent. It is in this.

Below its noisy point, its actually pretty darn clean. But because I am speaking softly and I need to be further away from the mic, the levels are low and I hate having to boost them that much to get them to sound loud. After a while I start to loose control.

I would leave the gain high and just rerecord and let the noise stay this time, but its the kind of noise that tends to muddy the other parts of the mix. This was why I was thinking of adding something a bit more controllable.

The second thing after a better mic will be getting an echo PCI interface.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1