Session Drummer Trigger help for Noob

Author
NTO
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2009/09/18 17:17:56 (permalink)

Session Drummer Trigger help for Noob

I am trying to learn more about how I might use Session Drummer, and have devised a little experiment.  It produces an unexpected result I hope for help on.
I created a new project w/no tracks.  Inserted SD2 w/all outputs stereo and a midi track.  Loaded DrumTraks program.  Loaded D 'n' B grooves 1 - 8 into pads A - H sequentially.  Went into piano roll for the midi track associated, and inserted a quarter note on the first beat for each of eight measures.  The notes are on the trigger values for pads A - H(#27-34).  Set a loop for the measures and hit play.
I expect each pattern to play once for each pass through the loop.  This seldom happens.  Some pattern or several patterns will fail to play on most iterations.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the pattern failure...
Manually SD is working as outlined in the doc's.
If I look at the SD interface while the issue is going on, I see the play button go gray to orange to gray.  This indicates some kind of timing problem, but rhythmic constraints must apply for effective use...

?Duplicate - speculate?

TIA

3 Replies Related Threads

NTO
    Re:Session Drummer Trigger help for Noob 2009/09/18 20:47:58 (permalink)
    I'm back...three hours later...and have convinced myself it's a timing thingie...

I set snap to grid at 128 triplet and moved the note of measures 2-8 off the zero point of beat one (into the measure) by that amount.  (Beat 1 doesn't have the problem because we start from silence, or the loop kills the playing note of measure 8).

It is 100% reliable now.

FWIW
    NTO
    Re:Session Drummer Trigger help for Noob 2009/09/18 21:56:22 (permalink)
    Well...I'll make one more comment, then I better go Emily LaTella on the matter...it may be (is) some kind of timing issue, but not what I implied...If I push the start out, I push the end of the four beats out as well, so if it was overlap there would be no improvement (duh4me).
    Also I created a new grove clip that was 1 note @ time zero and only three beats long, and it was even less reliable...
    Maybe some guru with internal knowledge will shine some ever-loving light on me, or...

Oh!  Never mind.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Session Drummer Trigger help for Noob 2009/10/04 08:42:49 (permalink)
    Sounds like the programs you loaded do not do what you manually entered. The grey to orange thing on each pad is just the pad triggering I think. Record the SD loops to the piano roll and then enter whatever notes you want. Play the piano roll at that point instead of SD.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1