Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2009/09/19 13:36:01 (permalink)

Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way

Many of us are considering overhauling our DAWs ... but are cautious due to Vista woes (which may or may not be fixed reasonably)

2 Questions (please choose one or both):
1) Will 64-bit Windows 7 be viable for you ... do you really trust it with your setup?
2) Will it render UAD2/Quad boards and/or external boards obsolete?  (Please say yes)?

(Note: My/your noble goal might be able to ... as seemlessly as possible ... transfer your files to a Sonar-DAW laptop for using in the privacy of your car)
post edited by Philip - 2009/09/19 13:38:55

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

22 Replies Related Threads

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/19 14:59:51 (permalink)
    I have a few questions too!

My main concern is my sound card and exsisting files/plugs. I just got a new driver from Centrance that works AWESOME, but they only support XP...my sound card was discontinued, and Mackie support is virtually non-exsistant.

Can I just install the new OS, and fly? That would be great, but from past experiences with major upgrades, is that they can be very painful!

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Philip
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/19 15:26:56 (permalink)
    I've had profound frustrations with 64 bit stuff and Vista stuff ... but a lot of that may be much fixed.

Certainly I'll wait till Window's 7, SP1 or SP2 ... and make a list of all card, synth, and VST drivers to confirm are Windows 7 ready or no. 

I'm sceared out of my wits but realize I must somehow make the transition to 64-bit and >3 Gbytes Ram.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/19 16:18:00 (permalink)
    And thus the prophecy was fulfilled.

64bit is here to stay, bye bye 32, dont feel blue, its me not you, not enough bits and we end up in a pickle, or worse yet, a potato in a big fat stew.

Sing it!

Bye bye 32, not gonna miss you, I don't feel blue
    bye bye 32, not gonna miss you, buhoo hoo hoo

*cough* sorry - been at the piano all day and I am goin a bit nuts I think hehehe

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/22 12:18:29 (permalink)
    Philip

2) Will it render UAD2/Quad boards and/or external boards obsolete?  (Please say yes)? 

That would be up to Universal Audio not Microsoft... I'm guessing a big no.  They won't give up their dongles so easily.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/22 13:36:30 (permalink)
    I give up my dongle every time I'm asked.  And sometimes even when I'm asked not to.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Philip
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/22 14:28:54 (permalink)
    Thanks J-Boy (and Skull for the humor).

Drats,

I was hoping W-7 might finally be the end of CPU heart-aches and memory chokes ... to indirectly get rid of external VST-bagage ... to somehow allow car-studios (vs. home-studios).

Ah! ... car-studios may make a great thread in 5 years.

Philip  

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/22 16:30:53 (permalink)
    I'm sticking with XP until I stop seeing so many OS-related compatability issues.  Windows 7 won't be a realistic option for a long time.
    I just bought a new DAW, loaded XP onto it, and will run happily as-is.  No internet connectivity, so no security issues with virus or IE...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    j boy
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/22 17:29:37 (permalink)
    Philip

... to somehow allow car-studios (vs. home-studios).

Ah! ... car-studios may make a great thread in 5 years.

You're not talking about using Sonar while you're driving down the road, are you?  I mean texting while driving is statistically as dangerous as drunk driving... but mixing while driving
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/23 07:03:16 (permalink)
    j boy

You're not talking about using Sonar while you're driving down the road, are you?  I mean texting while driving is statistically as dangerous as drunk driving... but mixing while driving

Might not be so bad.  Quite a few songs have had recordings of squealing tires and crashing sounds - this could just add authenticity? lol

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Philip
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/24 00:50:46 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

j boy

Might not be so bad.  Quite a few songs have had recordings of squealing tires and crashing sounds - this could just add authenticity? lol

The car-studio would be ideal for many of us.  I'm in a motel now with anxious hand-written notes (from listening to my mix-havocs on that perfect car stereo (better than my Adams for fixing mixes)) ... and using my K701 cams as well.

... I also have an ADK quad laptop with plenty of CPU and RAM ... which awaits the day to become a car/motel studio.  Unfortunately it won't sustain being powered via the AC-DC converter of my car.

The roads in Alabama are pretty sparse anyway.  I drive better while computing and/or touch typing while driving ... except when a trucker sees me ... and blows his horn in disgust.

Enveloping (with the mousepad) would be tricky ... while holding the wheel with one's knees on a bumpy road ... and making quick finger movements ... pondering about ...

... when the windhield suddenly crashes into one's face ...

Philip  

JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/24 11:47:22 (permalink)
    Personally, I'm in no hurry to leave my WORKING Windows XP Pro/SP3 enviroment.    With adequate hardware such as dual-core processor and 3GB RAM (out of the max of 4Gb this 32-bit OS can use), I'm following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule of thumb.

I look around the Songs forum and hear fantastic sequences done by mere 32-bit systems and I realize that my own limitations are not anything to do with whether or not my hardware and OS are "pushing enough bits".  It's a matter of studying the crap out of all the techniques of learning what to do with tracks that are recorded cleanly that results in a really good mix.  In other words, no amount of hardware or OS software will ever make up for lack of skill, once your DAW can record  adequately. 

Don't get me wrong - the question is perfectly valid and Microsoft is pushing ALL of us into cattle-cars whether it's on our DAW platforms or simply working in the business world.  It's no joke that most of us have learned to wait for SP1 or SP2 before we can really trust a new OS.  Yet, they WILL remove any and all support for a given OS in time, and then what do we do?   We all use components that need support from vendors or we get in trouble.  We will all be forced to upgrade, herded like cattle.....

Again, in  IMHO, the only response is  "wait...."   use what we have that works reliably, and when the particular reason to upgrade becomes clearly evident, research what is considered the most stable and reliable upgrade path to take  (proven over time) - and this forum will undoubtebdly be a key place to hear that.   I'm personally very thankful for this Techniques forum.   It's already helped me a lot.   

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/24 12:52:32 (permalink)
    re: Win7 ...I have high hopes, so unless I hear some disastrous reviews I'll probably jump on it as soon as I can afford to. It couldn't be any worse than Vista.

re: 64bit ...All the way baby! Switching over is a disaster no doubt. And if you blew your life's savings on Waves plugins like I did, you're outta luck. But I figure it's just one of those things you know you have to do sooner or later, like getting a colonoscopy. The only difference is upgrading to 64bit won't affect the way you sit.

re: studio-in-a-car ...Dunno bout that, but if someone ever releases a "car vocal booth" plugin, I'm there!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Buddy110
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/24 21:06:42 (permalink)
    I've been running a dual boot system of windows 7 x64 (got another 5+/- weeks left in my trail) and XP x32. I had vista x64 installed but it was the worst crap ever...lots of silly little bugs everywhere...what a waste of money! Windows 7 has been the best thing I've seen in years...and with the system optimized (BlackVipers Service settings + some custom tweaks), I haven't had one problem (apart from MOTU's drivers....which I sorted out myself in the end).

windows 7 has the new "XP mode" that allows you to run XP based programs in win7.

a quick google got this:
    http://www.theregister.co...dows_7_xp_mode_review/
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/26 11:28:16 (permalink)
    I had also played around with the Win7 RC trial version and was generally pleased with what I saw. I didn't spend gobs of time with it though. I couldn't run my Pace iLok with 7RC so I kinda gave up at that point. I'm sure Pace will have updated drivers at some point (maybe they already do) but I will have to wait until they are released and wrung out before I would even consider jumping over. To be honest, XP Pro has served me well and continues to do so. Win7 might have some benefits over WinXP in terms of DAW work but I didn't see anything in Win7 that made me go "wow". Nothing at all actually.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Philip
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/26 16:40:50 (permalink)
    Thanks very much: Larry, Buddy, Duck, John

I'll certainly take your advices and cautions ... I have EW iLoks also ... and suppose that will freeze them out as well.

Philip  

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/27 00:09:30 (permalink)
    ...."But I figure it's just one of those things you know you have to do sooner or later, like getting a colonoscopy."...

Not sure I have ever heard or read that analogy before, but I can definitely relate to the thought behind it

You really would have to be careful where or when you pull that one out in a conversation, though.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    j boy
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/27 00:12:15 (permalink)
    gamblerschoice

...."But I figure it's just one of those things you know you have to do sooner or later, like getting a colonoscopy."...

It all works out, in the end.
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/27 09:50:06 (permalink)
    It reminds me of the line from that Mel Brooks flick (forgot which one) where the chief psychiatrist at an insane asylum says, "Strap him down & give him an enema. It'll give him a sense of accomplishment"

It's sortofa bummer to hear the lukewarm reviews of win7. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too high, but oddly enough Vista started crashing on my yesterday. I think it's a Sonar problem because it started happening after I added clip envelopes (a known bug). But still it would be great if the new OS would magically solve all problems.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/27 23:07:36 (permalink)
    We all have to go W7 64 bit so all the mac users will respect us yeah! lmao

But really, a W7 64 bit system set up nicely is going to be pretty amazing from what Ive seen read and heard.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/29 08:13:57 (permalink)
    The old saying "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" is true here.  If you have a working XP DAW continue to use it.

I've migrated to Vista 64-bit and haven't looked back.  I had a project which required more than the 3gig RAM limit that XP has, so I thought it was time to move.  It has worked very well for me.

I also created a dual boot of Windows 7 32-bit release candidate to see what all the excitement was with it.  It worked with all of my plug-ins/UAD cards/etc...  It performed well and convinced me to consider the upgrade when Microsoft said it would be $99 to get Windows 7 Pro.

I'll upgrade my second boot with Windows 7 64-bit and keep my Vista 64-bit in tact on the other boot until I've run it through the paces and seen it work as I need it to.

Ron Vogel said...
    Can I just install the new OS, and fly? That would be great, but from past experiences with major upgrades, is that they can be very painful!

You can't upgrade XP from what Microsoft is saying.  You will have to do a new install.  That is good and bad.  I've always had better luck starting with a fresh install rather than an upgrade.  It is bad for you because you will have so much to migrate.  I've done the upgrade path enough now that I've been saving all of my serial numbers, downloaded plug-ins, etc into one folder (non-OS drive) on my PC and my backup drive.  This way when I'm ready to upgrade (or if I have to re-image) I have one place to find all my stuff.  A dual-boot might be your best option as you can keep your XP in tact and install the new OS on a separate boot.  Once you have that boot working you can remove the XP boot if you no longer need it.

Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Philip
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/29 11:49:28 (permalink)
    Frankly, I don't recommend dual boots as they consume hard-drive memory ... unless you like stacking more (and more) hard-drives in your tower real estate.

Also, dual boots get old fast ... both during boots and for doing boot preference changes.

But would the NI stuff and the EW stuff run so-much-better on 10G of W7 ... than 3G of XP?  Would their crunching memory issues (crashes) and CPU weariness finally go away?

Philip  

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Exploiting Window's 7 vs. the XP Way 2009/09/30 21:34:14 (permalink)
    j boy

mix blindness takes on a new and deadly meaning...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1