Help please -- Session Drummer 2 and Drum Map Manager - Piano roll

Author
RG88
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/09/20 13:03:26 (permalink)

Help please -- Session Drummer 2 and Drum Map Manager - Piano roll

Hi All,

I just bought a Smart Loops Groovy Kit hoping to expand the range of brush sounds in Session Drummer 2. They did not provide any loading instructions. (Pretty bad value by the way -- $30 for the long, med and short sweeps - no patterns were provided although they provide a nice on on the "demo page" for the kit).

I'm at the point now where I've figured out how to access some of the new sounds through Session Drummer 2 by creating the instrument ".sfz" files and saving the kits through session drummer (thanks to Mike McCue's helpful Session Drummer 2: custom kits and instruments).

However, when I go to the piano roll I do not get the sounds I've accessed through Session Drummer 2. I know that I can then add some new "notes" throgh the drum map manager; however, I'm unable to access all three sweeps, despite mapping them according to "keys" noted in the ".sfz" files.

Is there an good explanation of how Session drummer inter-relates with the Drum Map Manager and Piano roll; and a better explanation of how to use the "sfz" files in conjunction with the kits.

On a related note, I'm at the stage now where I'm contemplating buying Addictive Drums with their jazz brush set, so that I can have some brush patters as well as the ability to access the sounds. Does any have any experience with using Addictive Drums in Calkwalk; will there just be more headaches, or is it as straightforward as their youtube videos suggest.

Thanks any and all help.

Regards,

Karl

Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Help please -- Session Drummer 2 and Drum Map Manager - Piano roll 2009/09/20 14:46:54 (permalink)
    ok, a little trick regarding maps... pick the map.. THEN re-apply the patch.. e.g. if it's DP / SD2 and it SHOULD revert to the midi being inputed also.

the thing with DM's is that you specify and in / out port. it'd be nice if it'd just suss it was a VST-i as well  , because they were originally intended for external midi drum machines I guess

have a look at the SD2 template.. the blank one  , that has every possible trigger note for SD2 ,which is included in the zip or seperately if memory serves.

if your used to refering to notes as numbers, then it's not so tricky
    post edited by Fog - 2009/09/20 15:34:51
    RG88
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Help please -- Session Drummer 2 and Drum Map Manager - Piano roll 2009/09/22 20:57:31 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice; I'm still missing a part of something.....

Let me see if I understand this correctly (I wish to use three wave files, brush sweeps, within SD2) so I:

- Add a midi track
    - go to drop down and choose drum map manager
    - choose new
    - choose SD2 in presets

then?
    - add soft synth i.e., SD2
    - call up SD2 interface (i.e., screen with drums on it)

If I then choose the "sfz" file that contains the info regarding the location of the three brush sweeps, I still then do not get them on the if I click on the snare picture, nor am I able to find them in the piano roll.

If I then try to add them (i.e., assigning the notes in drum manager) I am unable to hear the brush strokes.

I'll give the blank map a try when my blood pressure is down.

Furthermore, do you know how to add a map? I've been provided with a file with a ".map" extension with the Smart Loops download. However, I don't know how to add it to the drop down list in the Drum Map Manager. I don't seem to be able to open the ".map" file in Wordpad to view it and type it in myself. 

I hate this program's lack of instruction and damn Smart Loops for their lack of instructions too. This should be a simple procedure. (Sorry for the rant).

Thanks again,
    Karl

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1