Choice of strings for acoustic recording

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2009/09/21 22:46:12 (permalink)

Choice of strings for acoustic recording

Hi - would like to poll a few of you on your personal choice of strings to produce the best acoustic guitar recordings - double mic'd.

Thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 00:03:00 (permalink)
    I use D'Addarios on my electrics, and Martins on my Martin.

If you are going for tone, go big. A heavier high E; like .012+ is a must unless you are just going for the percussive sound with a little bit of tone, then you'll want lighter strings. On my electrics I like the 11.5's.

Personally, I don't hear too much of a sound difference on strings unless you are talking round-wounds or something. I uses what I use because they last the longest for me. I believe it has to do with how my sweat reacts with the strings chemistry. I gunk up other brands in a short-time, but I get less gunk build-up on the strings and fretboard with D'Addarios and Martins.
    post edited by Ron Vogel - 2009/09/22 00:06:37

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 00:51:12 (permalink)
    It all depends on the sound you are trying to get. Round wound, flatwound, type of finish, type of core (ie. silk and steel, nylon, alloy), nylon, all create different sounds.

And then there is the guitar you are stringing, what are its characteristics? Dreadnaught body, classical body, plastic/fiberglass body, type of wood face, or non-wood face, even the type of neck, ebony, maple, etc.

And then the pick up or mic...

Too many variables

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 07:47:54 (permalink)
    Strings for recording acoustic. 

Install strings that make the guitar sound like you want. This will involve research over time to find the "sweet spot" strings. Different brands do have subtle differences...and even the same brand will sound different in a different gauge.

I used to be an avid reader of guitar player magazine back in the 80's. They did an article on this very subject. The sweet sound that the Nashville session players get is from the fact that they use very heavy gauge strings on the acoustics and they also change them every 15 to 20 minutes of actual recording time. This assures the maximum tone and brilliance when recording.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 07:53:41 (permalink)
    I can't stand any acoustic string other than Elixir Polyweb.

I'm a pretty heavy hand, so I use the Medium set - that's the heaviest gauge Martin specs for my guitar.

They're expensive, but I personally can no longer enjoy an uncoated string.  Too quickly, they get very "grabby" on the fingertips and squeal like a pig during chord changes.

I've tried other strings in an attempt to save money, but I find that I want to replace uncoated strings very quickly.....so I think the Elixir are actually cheaper in the long run.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 08:25:49 (permalink)
    I quite like Dean Markley (.12-.54) Bronze strings on my Takamine Dreadnought.  They sound quite good, but I choose strings more for feel.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 09:03:51 (permalink)
    skullsession

I can't stand any acoustic string other than Elixir Polyweb.

I'm a pretty heavy hand, so I use the Medium set - that's the heaviest gauge Martin specs for my guitar.

They're expensive, but I personally can no longer enjoy an uncoated string.  Too quickly, they get very "grabby" on the fingertips and squeal like a pig during chord changes.

I've tried other strings in an attempt to save money, but I find that I want to replace uncoated strings very quickly.....so I think the Elixir are actually cheaper in the long run.

I've been using Elixers too forever it seems. I switched over to them because I felt they helped reduce finger squeeks which can be a problem with acoustic guitars. Depends on the player of course. They do seem to last a little longer. A little more expensive also.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 10:27:03 (permalink)
    it depends... on the sound I'm after, the instrument itself, and how lazy I'm feeling!

Mostly I use the same strings on each guitar for recording, playing out, and practicing, but every once in a while I will use a coated string for recording to cut down on noise.

Most of my acoustic guitars wear John Pearse strings, but makeup and gauge vary from guitar to guitar. My twelve string is sometimes set up with silk-and-steels for "that sound".

I used to use Elixers for my coated strings, but recently I've been playing around with some of the other brands... no clear winner yet!

It requires far more experimentation that is cost effective, but it is worth it...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    kcearl
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 11:35:43 (permalink)
    D'Addarios on my acoustic

Ernie ball hybrid slinkies on my electrics

These are my faves and no one will change that

Sonar 8 Studio, Ableton Live 8, XP Media SP2, Intel Dual Core 2.80Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 & 250Gb SATA

http://www.soundclick.com/trainsetghetto

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 16:08:25 (permalink)
    I don't do anything different for recording than when performing LIVE.  I always use D'Addario light gauge 80/20's on my acoustics.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Choice of strings for acoustic recording 2009/09/22 21:06:07 (permalink)
    kcearl

D'Addarios on my acoustic

Ernie ball hybrid slinkies on my electrics

These are my faves and no one will change that

I agree with the D'Addarios for acoustic, I use J16s on all mine.  Guild used to make some cool ones, they sounded great for about 2 days then went dead. The D-Addarios last a long time and stay in tune very well. Once they get the first stretching or two they are set and will not stretch again.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1