newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently

Author
eggy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2009/09/23 12:58:19 (permalink)

newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently

Hi wise cakewalk people,
I'm close to completing the recording of my first project.
I'm quite happy with the way it sounds but how can I resist playing with some effects.
I want to develop good habits from the start and so my question is this;
How can I store my original efficiently so that if I make a hash of the effects I always have the original intact.
I'm sure there's a proffessional way of doing this other than having space wasting backups stored hither and thither?
Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.

11 Replies Related Threads

Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 13:41:01 (permalink)
    Hey there!

You're not explaining how these FX are being used (inside of Sonar or from outboard gear) so I'll try to explain it broadly.

If you're using the FX inside of Sonar when recording your takes, then you don't have to worry about keeping an original version of your project because the FX don't get printed unless you bounce them.  IOW, your takes are kept perfectly intact (recorded dry) even though you hear them with FX inside of Sonar.  Just disable the FX or change it to your liking after the fact.

On the contrary, if you're recording using outboard gear (i.e. FX pedals, FX racks, etc) then you're obvioulsy "printing" the FX along with the guitar sound when recording.  In this case, what people do is split the signal into two: one with FX and one dry.  Both of these are gonna be sent simultaneously into Sonar.  Basically, you have two takes of the same performance (one dry and one with FX) for greater flexibility later on when mixing.  HDD space is cheap these days so it is not of real concern to have multiple takes of the same performance inside a project.

Anyways, that's as far as I'll go until you provide more info about how you're going about this.  Then I'll explain in more detail if needed.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 15:36:44 (permalink)
    Eggy,

if I get what your saying you want to save different effects mixes.  It is just the same as saving a different mix (in fact, it is the same thing).  Simply save a new version of the project song.  I usually leave "SONG" to the end and save the first mix as SONG 1, then iterations as SONG 2, etc.  You can also save it as SONG 1.1, etc., if, like me, you'll sometimes start from scratch which is 2.1.   If you make a mess of effects, editing, etc., you can just go back to the previous mix you liked better.

As an organizational note, you should save your audio in the "Project name here" audio folder - otherwise Cake shoves all project audio into one folder, and have fun sorting that out.  Audio stays in audio while variations of the project and any midi files go in the "Project Name" main folder.

Hope this helps.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 17:32:55 (permalink)
    Always use per project audio folders. Then do as said above by the wise members. Simply save as using a different name. I like to change the name with an eye to just what is different in the new version.  Don't forget you also have a date stamp on any project. That can tell you which is the most recent.

Best
    John
    eggy
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 17:42:55 (permalink)
    Thanks AT and Jose I'm much obliged for your help.
    Please don't credit me with much knowledge, I don't have much, however, I'm enjoying myself enormously with this program and I know I'm in for a great winter! I love this!

I guess the first part of Jose's response answered my question but AT has got me thinking.
    Jose, I'm just using all Sonar instruments and effects for my first project and have not connected any of my own instruments or effects. It's too complicated a program for me to dive into.
    I'm edging forward one step at a time and this forum is great for folks like me.

For simplicity sake (as I'm at the start of the learning curve) would it make sense to copy the track that I want to interfere with and create it as another track and then mute the original then if I mess up the copy_of_track I just delete it and un_mute the original? 
    Jose7822
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 17:58:11 (permalink)
    OK,

Now I understand what you're trying to do.  In this case, AT's suggestion will be the best way to go about this.

Simply go to 'File::Save As...' and save your project with a slightly different name (i.e. Project Name 2) once you finish recording and are ready to start mixing.  This way you keep the original "Project Name" file intact.  And don't worry about disk space since both Project Files will be referencing the same Audio files.  Just make sure you have "Use Per-Project Audio Folders" selected under Options::Global::Audio Data Tab.  This will make file managing much easier.

Like I said earlier in my first post, the FX you insert in Sonar are NOT permanent.  You can change them in real time until you're satisfied with the sound, and then change e'm again.  It will not be permanent until you either bounce them or export the project to it's final format.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

John
    Forum Host
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 17:59:02 (permalink)
    No in most cases. It will use the same audio file not a new one. You would need to bounce the track to a new track and mute the old one. However, Sonar is a non destructive audio and MIDI app. As long as you don't do something that uses the process menu most anything you do is not written in stone and can be undone. Effects are not added to the file unless you make it do so with a bounce for example. 

Best
    John
    eggy
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 18:16:57 (permalink)
    John

No in most cases. It will use the same audio file not a new one. You would need to bounce the track to a new track and mute the old one. However, Sonar is a non destructive audio and MIDI app. As long as you don't do something that uses the process menu most anything you do is not written in stone and can be undone. Effects are not added to the file unless you make it do so with a bounce for example. 

Thanks John.
    I've only been using the application for three weeks now.
    It took me a week to get a squeak out of it but I'm cooking on gas now and I'm loving it.
    I take time to read the tips and watch tutorials on youtube and read some stuff in this forum but I'm starting at the bottom.
    I've been a musician for slightly over 30 years so I'm OK with that side of things.
    However, I don't know what 'bounce' means yet!
    Thanks again! 
    Jose7822
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 18:34:51 (permalink)
    Bounce = Render = Printing = The process of applying permanent changes to a file (usually FX).  

Most of them are found under the "Process" menu in Sonar.  But there are other ways, including semi-permanent ones, to do this in Sonar.  That's one of the best aspects of this program, it gives you various options to go about a process.

Enjoy!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

John
    Forum Host
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 19:13:18 (permalink)
    Eggy sorry for me being obtuse. It happens from time to time. Thank goodness Jose is here to cover my butt. He has it well explained. 

I want to comment on your attitude. First I wouldn't put yourself down because you have embarked on a wonderful trip that will only get better as you learn more. The fact that you have done so well so far on your own is a great sign that you will do great.

I wish to welcome you here and hope that all questions you have are quickly answered.  We do a good job in that regard but you, by the way you have presented yourself here, deserve our attention.

Thank you so much for being a great poster. Not everyone that comes here presents themselves in such a nice way.

If you do run into any problem or just have a question on Sonar in any regard please ask. 

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 19:14:07 (permalink)
    However, I don't know what 'bounce' means yet! Thanks again!

Its when you combine more than 1 track into a single wave file.
    It also can be combining effects permanently to a track or tracks.
    Like Jose said.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    papa2005
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3250
    Re:newbie - Organising Projects Efficiently 2009/09/23 19:48:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eggy

I've been a musician for slightly over 30 years so I'm OK with that side of things.
    However, I don't know what 'bounce' means yet!

Actually the term "bounce", with regard to studio terminology, dates back more than a few decades. It refers to combining multiple audio tracks and/or effects down to one or more tracks. The Beatles, just to cite one example, used the "bounce" technique to extreme measures when recording their LP's. Double-tracking vocals, adding BGV ooh's and ahh's, adding percussion, adding SFX, etc.,...They were recording on analog tape decks, frequently needing to exceed the limits of the number of tracks available...At that point the engineer would opt to "bounce" (or "comp") the good parts of the take to a new tape...Thus opening up more tracks for overdubbing needs...

I've actually simplified the explanation considerably, you would gain much more knowledge by researching the subject on your own - (and I don't mean that to sound condescending...it will be a lesson you'll be happy to have learned)...

Regards,
    Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1