How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ?

Author
rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
2009/09/26 10:53:15 (permalink)

How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ?

hi,
I bought a sound level meter that  uses db(C) filtering. But I would like to know how loud 85 db(A) is comparing to 85 db(C) ?
I need that to somehow "read" this table in db(C).
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20-ihp.aspx

Also, I red somewhere that db(C) is actually close to db SPL. is that true?

If you can help me.... thanks ;)
post edited by rainmaker1011 - 2009/09/26 10:55:49

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud

9 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 10:59:35 (permalink)
    You need to go search out "loudness curves". When you learn a bit about it you will understand that you are not asking the question in an way that makes it easy to answer.

The curves account for how we perceive the relative loudness of different frequencies when they are at the same energy level... or how we need different energy levels at different frequencies to perceive that they are all the same loudness.

The C curve is fine for your use and the most important thing to do with your SPL meter is to try to use it to achieve consistency rather than to measure, or set to, an absolute SPL.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/09/26 11:04:10

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:03:32 (permalink)
    The filters provide effectively an EQ to the signal that mimics our ears. It compensates for the Fletcher Munson effect - that is, for the same volume, we hear bass and high frequencies less than the frequencies from about 1-8kHz.

The A filter has a very large roll off (-20dB at 100Hz and -50dB at 20Hz and it begins this roll off at about 1kHz) so sources measured with the A filter will have a low SPL reading. The C filter has not as much low end roll off. It only starts at about 80Hz dropping only 6dB at 20Hz. High frequency is similar to the A filter. This means sounds will be louder when measured with a C filter. I think C filter is better to use if you're at 85dB because it is closer to the Fletcher Munson curve at those high levels. Use the A filter for noises that are more like 50dB as we hear bass less effectively at low volumes. I think Bob Katz says to use the C filter when doing monitor placement in your rooms and you're testing with 85dB pink noise.

Noises with little low frequency content will be very similar with A or C, but when there is a low of low frequency stuff, A is going to give a much lower reading.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

mattplaysguitar
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:05:04 (permalink)
    Oh and the B filter is about half way between A and C - in the low frequency roll-off. And don't worry about the D filter, it's just weird (11dB boost at 3.5kHz).

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

mattplaysguitar
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:06:38 (permalink)
    Whoops, Mike got in before me with the diagram! Refer to diagram. It shows all.

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:14:39 (permalink)
    "This means sounds will be louder when measured with a C filter"

with all due respect, this is an illogical statement and I think it reflects the difficulty of answering the question as it has been posed.

I think it's more proper to say...

If, with a C filter the SPL at a measurement position is "X"dBSPL then the energy level for the lower frequencies is much higher than if one used a A filter at the same measurement position and recorded the very same measurement of "X"dBSPL. Obviously the source material being testing would have to be altered between measuring with A and C filters for this to be experienced in real life. 

similarly,

If, with a A filter, one measures "X"dBSPL at a measurement position and then uses the same source material and the same measurement position to take a reading with a C filter the dBSPL will appear to be much lower.

Confused yet? :-)

very best,
    mike

edit to add: I'm starting to see some logic in Matt's phrase quited above... :-)
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/09/26 11:17:46

rainmaker1011
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:26:54 (permalink)
    thank you for the replies.

If I understand it right, according to the graph, for example 50 db(A) of 100Hz is approx. "the same" as 70db(C) of 100Hz ? because the blue curve has -20 db gain at 100Hz, while the red one is on 0db gain...?

so, when I look at that table, it says 85 db(A) is safe for 4 hours. but we know the freq. response is cut comparing to db(C) so the Hz below 1000Hz are attenuated when metering with db(A). thus, metering of 500Hz sound will yield lower db "number" when db(A) is used comparing to db(C).. ? I red, that the human ear is most sensible to freq. of 3 - 4 kHz. So if we look at the graph here, the red and the blue curves are almost the same in that interval, so there should be the "db" number the same for db(A) and db(C) when measuring 3-4kHz ?sound ?? 

hope, I dont sound like a complete idiot :) 

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 11:38:17 (permalink)
    You do not sound like an idiot.

But you have to twist your thinking around.

The curves are descriptions of what it takes to get an "average" reading.

The A curve is standard to measure to, as is the C curve.

If you measure 82dBSPL on the A curve and then simply switch to C curve the reading will be lower.

If you measure 82dBSPL on the A curve and then TURN up the volume of your playback system you can measure 82dBSPL on a C curve.

This is my very crude and uneducated synopsis: "A" curve describes how we hear content that is reproduced as "flat bandwidth"... "C" curve describes what it takes for us to hear content as "flat bandwidth" response.

I invite correction :-)

rainmaker1011
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 12:47:34 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

You do not sound like an idiot.

But you have to twist your thinking around.

The curves are descriptions of what it takes to get an "average" reading.

The A curve is standard to measure to, as is the C curve.

If you measure 82dBSPL on the A curve and then simply switch to C curve the reading will be lower.

If you measure 82dBSPL on the A curve and then TURN up the volume of your playback system you can measure 82dBSPL on a C curve.

This is my very crude and uneducated synopsis: "A" curve describes how we hear content that is reproduced as "flat bandwidth"... "C" curve describes what it takes for us to hear content as "flat bandwidth" response.

I invite correction :-)
    great. this is what I mean :) thanks.

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How loud is 85 db(A) comparing to 85 db(C) ? 2009/09/26 18:30:39 (permalink)
    I think it is very good that people are thinking along the lines of what we call calibrated monitor gain. This is a big problem within our industry as there is no real calibrated monitor gain such as there is in the film industry.

Bob Katz in his great book (Chapter 15 for those who have it) on mastering talks about this and he says one should use band limited pink noise as the test. From 500 Hz to 2 Khz. As you can see fron the graphs above it wont make a lot of difference wether the A or C weighting is used.  (C weighting is suggested as the standard) He also suggests that 83 db is the figure to use. And you need to set each speaker separately. The level will go up about 3 db when both speakers are on. Another important point is knowing what the reference level is on your tracks, master buss etc. Mine is -15db FS at the moment but after reading Bob's book I am going to move the reference level down to -20db FS. So lets assume you have chosen -20db FS. Your band limited pink noise should be at -20 on the tracks and master output. If you have VU meters connected they should read 0 db VU.

You need to be able to mark your monitor gain somehow when you have done this. It is not a bad idea either to have a calibrated monitor gain control but that is maybe getting a bit detailed for this.

83db is a beautiful volume and you should get used to it. Also I have done mixes as low as 65 db as well for checking the critical balances of things and then back up to 83db for final checks. Loud bursts are also OK but not for long and you need to let your ears recover after a loud burst.

But this is great to see. If there was a defined standard to monitor gain many of the problems we have in modern production would go away such as the loudness wars.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/09/26 19:43:39

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1