mastering with Ozone

Author
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
2009/09/27 20:00:02 (permalink)

mastering with Ozone

I've got a project that was supposed to be simple, but every time I export it as a wav and import it into a mastering file and do the same type of mastering I've done on a few other songs, the violin sounds terrible (spikes at odd places), some of the pedaling on the piano just isn't there, etc.  I've fought with it all afternoon and just can't get it fixed.

So....I wondered if there's a way to add Ozone as an effect in a bus.  I've done that and the meters are moving, but it doesn't make any difference in the sound (I can turn off Ozone and there's no difference.)  IF this is a decent work-around, how do I go about it?

What I've done is outputted all the buses to an Ozone bus, then outputted that to the master.

Any ideas?  

18 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/27 22:18:39 (permalink)
    Janet,  the thing with mastering is that every case is different and you cannot necessarily use a technique or system that you used before on a song and expect it to work.  For this reason you cannot really use preset mastering settings for a given piece of music either because how do the presets know what it is your mastering?

I dont have Ozone so I am not able to help. Others here that do have might offer some advice.

Go back to the mix and make sure everything is good there. If the violin spikes in places then maybe you have to look at that at the mix level. Check the areas where this happens and you may need to alter some compressor settings etc.

If Ozone does not appear to be doing anything it may because none of the thresholds have been met and hence the processors are not doing anything as such, just passing the signal through. Try adjusting some of the thresholds (lowering them) and see what happens.

Anyway I just wanted to answer your question because you may be thinking we are all ignoring you and that is not the case! And you are very lucky you dont have a TV!! You are not missing anything. No news is good news as they say, most of the news these days is bad anyway.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/27 22:24:38 (permalink)
    Thank you, Jeff.  I didn't feel like everyone is ignoring me.  I realize everyone else has a life too...and some of my questions are odd.  :-)

I've tried everything with Ozone.  And I've 'fixed' everything in the mix several times.... the problem is that they sound fine in the mix. So it's just really weird.  Anyway, thank you.

I thought I was really getting somewhere with this stuff, so this was discouraging...such a simple song that took me hours that it shouldn't have.  :-(  
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 00:35:03 (permalink)
    Janet, I'm wondering what your "process" is. Maybe I could throw a suggestion to you while I wait for your input, see if this helps.

If you are seeing, or better said, hearing spikes in the violins, I would suggest a compressor. Just something like "medium" or "light", my soundforge has a preset called "smooth compression". I don't think you have worked with the compressor much, so I would suggest a preset for now, until you get further into the settings as you get more comfortable with it. But, set the compressor in the original track, before any other effects, and before going to a bus. The compressor should even out the dynamics a bit, take out some of the highs and lows in volume and smooth them out ("smooth" compression).
    If this is the only place you are having dyamics problems, re-adjust your mix (once the compression is in the track), and get the sound back to the best possible mix you can get. Then, export the entire mix as a stereo file, pick "all" or "what you hear", something that will get the entire mix into one stereo file. The master volume setting should be somewhere between -6db and -2db at the absolute loudest for the export. We can get into the fine touches later, I just want it to work for you well enough to hear the precess clearly. Close the project, and open a new one with only one audio track in it, and then you should be able to insert ozone in the fx bin. On the middle screen, just as an experiment, pick one of the presets, maybe one with the exciter and stereo widening, so that you will get a more noticeable change in the sound. At the input slider, adjust the slider to the point where it is just touching the yellow on occasion, and then back it off a little. Then adjust the output slider in the same manner.

At this point you should be noticing a big change. Hit the 'bypass" button on the ozone screen, you will hear the difference quickly.

Once you feel confident with the controls, we can get into the particulars.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 08:32:50 (permalink)
    Janet,

Having O3&4 myself...and MC4/5, I have no options but to install Ozone as a plug in the FX bin.

I normally wait until I'm done tracking before I pop in any plugs.  I put O4 into the master buss. I also have a preset in O3 that I use in my main vox track. it gives compression, and EQ to that specific track.

So yes, it is totally possible to run Ozone in the buss or track as an effect, I do it all the time.
    I also use the cake default compressor and reverb on certain tracks when I want those effects but not the bone sucking CPU load of mulitple Ozone instances running.

since I have begun the process of bouncing all my synths to audio and removing the synth, i am able to run lots of FX in the bins without really dragging the processor into dangerous territory. with no fx a project runs at less than 5% and with 2 Ozones and a few other fx it's still under 20 to 25%.... pretty stable.

When you say you can not hear a difference with it in or out...is it on or is it in bypass mode?  You should hear a difference...but again, that will depend greatly on the preset that you start with. Some of the Ozone presets are pretty mild and the difference is very subtle.... while others are pretty obvious right from the git-go.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sping
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 09:34:47 (permalink)
    Check your routing. Is everything really routed to the master bus? Ozone should make a change on the master bus. Just an idea.

Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 11:31:54 (permalink)
    Thanks guys...I'll look into all those things.  It's funny when you think you're doing things the exact same way and they don't have the same result.  But I'll keep checking.  I appreciate your help so far!

Albert, you're the one who showed me how to export the whole mix and then open it in a new file to master in the first place. :-)  Still have a long ways to go and lots more to learn, but at least I have sound now!  lol  Thanks again for the help so far!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 12:31:44 (permalink)
    Ozone features "smart" compression ("Intelligent" and "Intelligent II"). This works really well, especially if you don't quite know what you're doing (which applies to nearly all of us here).

The downside is that these modes will noticeably alter your mix as you adjust the threshold. Consequently, it's common to have to tweak the mix after adding Ozone, as some parts will sink into the mix and others will bob to the surface as a result of the smart compression.

For this reason (and others) I like to do my mastering in place, in the original project. Then I export the file at 24 bits to a wave, and import that wave into my CD master project. In that project I'll have all the songs on one track with minimal processing: a volume envelope (that only lowers volume) to match volumes across the collection, the LP-64 EQ to roll off subsonics, and an instance of Ozone for hard limiting and dither.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 14:12:53 (permalink)
    Dave, 'don't quite know what I'm doing' is fine to say...and is an understatement in this case.  :-)

I've been playing with this the last half hour and notice that several things I choose make the piano notes not ring out.  They just get cut off.   What causes that?  I finally found a preset that works (doesn't cut off the piano notes) and doesn't give me the spikes.  And since someone showed me how to increase the volume, at least I've got the volume up (which is a big one for me!)  So....I know... I need to read the manual and lots of other stuff.  I only hope I'll understand half the manual!  

What's odd is that I can still move the equalizer way up or down anywhere along that horizontal line and I can't hear any change.  I KNOW that should work.  Well, at least I think I do.  

Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 18:22:40 (permalink)
    Well, I messed around the Ozone and Boost 11 and I don't know what all else.  Posted it on the forum and they're wondering who mastered it for me and how it turned out so well. 

If only I knew!    LOL.  Oh, well.  Thanks again, guys!    Here it is, in case you're interested. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=789731&songID=8150663
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 19:31:13 (permalink)
    Janet, for solo piano I don't know that I'd use either Intelligent modes, but rather the Soft mode. That's closer to a conventional limiter and might solve the problems with shortened sustains.

Personally, I would not waste time with presets at all. The odds of finding one just right for your particular project are slim. I don't even know why they bother putting them in, but I suppose users would complain. It's like having a preset for adding salt and pepper to your supper.

Great tune, by the way. That's the Ivory, I expect. Nice.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 20:02:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for that, Dave.  When I first got Ozone, someone suggested I just go with the presets (knowing how little I knew about mastering, etc.)  But that probably set me back in the long run, since I didn't have to learn what was going on.  And come to think of it, I do remember reading quite a bit about compression, etc., but it wasn't written at a kindergarten level like I needed it.  So...I'll keep fiddling and reading.

And, thank you.  Yes, that's Ivory.  I wish they would have made their 'Grands only' available 2 years ago and I wouldn't have had to try so hard (and fail) to get a good piano sound! 
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/28 23:10:18 (permalink)
    OK, I just made a discovery.  If I choose a preset, THEN I can fiddle with all the other buttons and I can hear the difference (i.e. it's working.)  If I don't choose a preset first, then nothing happens.  That sounds weird to me, but at least it's working! 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 00:48:20 (permalink)
    ..."I don't even know why they bother putting them (presets) in"...

Actually, they are there for just these kinds of reasons. I don't feel I'm selling Janet short for saying this, since I had the same problems at first myself.

I had a lot of "musical" training over the years, from a very young age until the late teens I was able to avail myself of some very good teachers who taught theory and practice. But not a one of them had anything more than a mono cassette recorder, the kind with the mic built in. I had no idea what a mixing board was until I started getting into bands, and then, the "band mates" were not allowed to touch the board, that was the sound man's job. Recording was a dream that we could never afford, in a studio for outrageous amounts of money we would never see.

Going to school for recording, even if you put the title "engineer" on it, was unacceptable. Recording was a closed society, if you didn't know someone in the field, you were never going to make any money at it. And you would never dream of spending hard earned money to learn something that did not have a sizable future paychek attached to the diploma.

Fast foward to personal computers with $30 digital recording programs that can produce semi professional results, but still no recording knowledge. Learn as you go. Compression? Carving out a space with eq so that all of the instruments have room? Gain staging? etc.

If it were not for presets, I would never have understood what these magical things actually do. And then the knowledge base from forums such as this and many others, along with the unlimited reading material available on the net, and we have a place to start to learn.

Use a preset, learn what it does, what it is supposed to do, and how to manuipulate the settings.

Maybe for you this all comes easy, and god bless you for that. For myself, self taught is more than a catch phrase, it is reality that never ends. I learn every day, and can now create my own "presets", settings that might be used as a starting point for something that is similar to the last song or two I worked on from the same band that does it almost the same way every time.

At least, that's my story...

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 07:43:34 (permalink)
    Extremely well put, Albert, and that mirrors my experience in some ways...except I was never even saw a mixing board until about 8 years ago and never touched one until 6 years ago.

And only learned that FX stands for effects a couple months ago! 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 11:25:10 (permalink)
    I think I appreciate Bit's concern about not using/abusing presets for mastering (which I rarely use anymore).  Recall that Bit is extremely intelligent with many psycho-acoustic parameters and is not afraid to do-it-all (if you will).

It appears to me, IIRC, that Bit masters his mix twice ... once on the master buss and again in his CD master project (CD architect?)

... but Ozone 4 presets may help your piano and violin as a starting point. 

IMHO, these presets are invaluable
    for de-Essing,
    for individual instruments in the FX-bin,
    for learning by example on every psycho-acoustic parameter that comes your way.
    for learning limiting per se
    for learning compression per se
    for learning EQing per se
    for learning Widening per se
    for learning reverbs per se

... just focus on one main parameter that you yourself want to polish.

... Try some of the piano presets in the fx-bin on the piano track.  Learn by preset-fun, trial and error, etc. ... this is the scientific method also.  Some presets are excellent ...

I hope Jimmy might chime here.  IIRC, he eschews excessive mastering.  Preset-Mastering can become addictive and terrible for a mix.

Jimmy's ears are excellent for discerning mastering fallacies in a mix.  Eventually, its probably a good idea to wean-off the master-buss effects altogether ... or allow just slight smearing enhancements on the master-buss.

We all gleefully forget how addictive and dangerous mastering is: Mastering evokes loudness-wars, timbre destruction, ear-hammering, and alot of non-musical babylonian confusion.  Pretty soon i'll forget my sweet instruments and become another reprobate commercial out there.  IOWs, I know you and I don't need the master-buss volume maximizer effects to mess with our heads.
    For every 0.1 dcbl of threshold I slam down on the maximizer module, I cringe at what destruction is being done to my musical elements.
    But Janet, methinks your non-busy instrumental genre (10-20 tracks max) could suffer more track-reverbs, EQ sculpting, compression, etc. ... and non-mastering effects ... as pe Jimmy.

IMHO: Ozone4 is no better than Ozone3 for Sonar mixes that are mixed semi-appropriately.  Who needs the mids and sides (Ozone 4) when they smear everything you meticulously enveloped in your mix.  They are also CPU hogs.

Ultimately, I like to make (ozone4) master-buss effects only 1% (if that) of my mix-sound.  Many here will concurr that their ears appreciate the mix 99% more than the master ... especially as their ears mature to appreciate the elements that they like.
    post edited by Philip - 2009/09/29 11:43:58

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 12:25:01 (permalink)
    Good thoughts, Phillip. I think I understand most of them.  The funny thing is...Jimmy was totally blown away by my last mix.  (in a good way)  But I'm not sure why.    LOL.   But I think I'm finally getting somewhere, since I've moved away from presets and have begun to explore what Ozone does. (yes, trial and error--it's great!)   I also just found a mastering article I have saved on my computer.  I'm thinking maybe I'll actually understand a little of now that I've messed with this stuff for quite a few months.  We'll see. 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 16:49:25 (permalink)

Phillip has done a superb job of describing the "affect" of
    the use of mastering. This is why I can sometimes sound
    vague when speaking on the subject. Bitflipper has such
    an array of knowledge and tech skills. And he gets to the
    point and addresses things so well.

I seem to be more of a "what does it sound like" type
    person. All too often people jump on the term "mastering"
    And sometimes even to the point that if it's mastered
    then its quality.

My definition of mastering starts way before the mix
    is considered. Lets take the mix for example. If you have
    "mastered" the mix it means you've done a great job
    of making it sound great.

If a person is considered to be a master of the guitar
    it means they are a great player. It does not mean they
    know how to use a "compressor" well. If we now
    look at our "song"/mix we have to ask the question
    does it sound good?.

This means we are now forgetting what we call
    "mastered" altogether. Good mastering makes a good
    mix sound great. It can make a bad mix sound decent.
    But it cant make a horrible performance sound great no
    matter what a person does.

A person who is a master "of anything" doesn't know
    it all. what they do know is how to find the answers
    to questions. This is much the way I look at this subject.
    "questions and answers".

There are so many things we have to learn for ourselves.
    This is why just throwing a plugin in the mix doesn't
    make it mastered. Learning about the ratio of the
    average to max level of a track or a mix is one of the most
    important aspects of mixing/mastering.

Knowing the ratio of the difference in db level of the
    frequency range is very important as well. Mastering
    could very well be called "balance". How evenly balanced
    is everything?

A song is a combination of time and events. It's what
    happens during all this that defines the end result.
    My whole concept of this term mastering is to try
    every way posible to avoid doing so.

THEN mastering is icing on the cake. 

Janet. You mentioned I was impressed with your
    latest song? It was "away in a manger" not your latest
    song. That would be correct if that was your latest song
    but it now isn't.

Mamabear
    Re:mastering with Ozone 2009/09/29 16:51:43 (permalink)
    So you're not impressed with my now latest song?  See.. I told you it was pure luck! 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1