Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering?

Author
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2009/09/29 05:20:59 (permalink)

Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering?

My projects seem to be lacking a little volume. Should this be at the best volume already or will it be fixed when mastered?

8 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 06:05:10 (permalink)
    Mastering is definately the best place to increase overall volume levels, not mixing. Mixing is not the best time or place to do it. You will always get a better sounding result by keeping well clear of 0db FS while mixing.

Create a new session and import the mix and go through the mastering processes and do it a week later as well. It will sound better and you will be in a better place to do it (mastering) as well. Listen to your mix for a week before you master, you will change your mind about things for sure.

Some people like to apply some masterbuss compression while mixing and that is not bad ( I do it myself now) but it should be gentle (unless you want it to be drastic) in its effect and also you can still keep well clear of 0db FS even if you use processing on the masterbuss.

Remember you dont have to master at the same levels as a lot of commercial CD's. You are degrading quality by trying to do it.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/09/29 06:07:16

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 07:18:21 (permalink)
    Good sound advice, for sure.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 09:03:54 (permalink)
    Volume ....I increase it in the mastering stage. 

Sometimes I will pop Ozone into the master buss and export my finished work from there.... but if my CPU levels are running on the high side due to all my plug in's ...I will export an unfinished mix and then open a new project with just the mastering process in mind.  That does assure me of a much lower CPU number.... and of course...lower CPU numbers are always good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 10:28:04 (permalink)
    control any wild peaks, during tracking and mixing.

figure out where your peaks are occurring, and deal with them on a track by track basis.

THEN, mix down, so your overall peaks without processing, are nice and balanced.

THEN, master the two-track stereo premastered mix.

you need to buy some books on mastering, and start studying.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 10:42:52 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 13:41:30 (permalink)
    Since limiting, mastering, very often change where things sit in a mix, as well as how they sound, how do folks feel about finding out about those effects sooner rather than later? Percussion and relative punch are big candidates as to what gets hit the hardest and/or turn to mush’, relative ambience, effects level also right up there.

In my current project (that is not going to be mastered) I got a real good refresh on this. In the loop/circle of refinement process towards the final mixes, I see a couple things happening.
    One is that to get to the final density for the mix style (in this case blues/r&b), the ‘mix decisions, including compression and limiting on the drum and the master bus, affected and caused rebalancing along the way to get to the finished mix.
    I can also see this is pretty much as far as I would want it pushed, period.
    The two processes (mix, master) to a large extent have overlapped completely here as far as I can tell. I don’t mean to deny the benefits of second ears’ and yet another level of polish could bring however.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 14:30:11 (permalink)
    only experience teaches you how far to push certain elements in a raw mix, knowing that they'll change when mastering processing is applied....

a lot of guys put a compressor across the 2 buss, JUST so they'll know where they sit with the mix, in regards to the master session...

but you gotta know that the master is going to be done in a certain way, and then you have to APPROXIMATE the compression scheme in the same direction.

THEN you take that compressor off the main buss, when actually bouncing down your final mix.

but there's lots of assumptions there, and you will NEVER have gear that will be as good as what the ME uses for compression and limiting on the final product...

bottom line is, it's always best to try to get the mix to sound as finished as you think it should sound...
    but if you apply compression on your PRE-mastered mix, you are painted into that corner permanently.

me? 
    i master my tunes myself, in WAVELAB, not cause i wanna, but it's what i got, what i can afford to do.
    so, i know how i'm going to master it, and i do my submixes accordingly

i  apply compression to some of my sub busses:
    i seperate overheads to their own buss, and compress......
    kick and snare get compression on individual channels....
    the rest of the kit is unaffected, and all but overheads go to a master drum buss.....

bass gets channel compression, and still goes to it's own buss....

vocals get individual channel compression, but all go to a vocal buss....
    and sometimes i slap a very conservative compressor across the vocal buss, to glue them all together..

guitars get no processing, but go to a sub buss....

then all get routed to the master, and the master gets a very specific single band compressor across it, for an almost inaudible effect.
    it is my glue.

post edited by batsbrew - 2009/09/29 14:31:31

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Adequate volume is brought up by mixing or mastering? 2009/09/29 14:46:10 (permalink)
    BTW: discmakers has a free dvd on mastering.... it might have some good info in it for you.... it's free....just go to their website and request it.  I have a number of their free info DVD's.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1