Getting a particular guitar sound.

Author
derkoi
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2009/09/30 10:32:33 (permalink)

Getting a particular guitar sound.

I'm trying to acheive a particular guitar sound as heard on the track ULTRAnumb at http://www.myspace.com/bluestahli

I have a Line 6 toneport UX2 and a schecter guitar with EMG pickups.

Do you think the sound is a particular plugin or a method of production/compression etc?

Any help on getting this sound or something along those lines is really appreciated..

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Getting a particular guitar sound. 2009/09/30 11:19:42 (permalink)
    I can't access your link from work, but in my opinion and experience, the closer you can get to your wanted sound from the guitar itself and your amp/cab combiation before it even hits SONAR will give you a much better chance of fine tuning it "In The Box".

Use the tone controls & pickup selectors on your guitar to get you in the right area.

Use less distortion, rather than more.
    Even "clean" tones are in reality, still pretty distorted so be aware of that.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Sepheritoh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re:Getting a particular guitar sound. 2009/09/30 13:25:22 (permalink)
    Tone is achieved wit a combination of the type of guitar / pickup, the amp, the mic and the software or hardware processor.

Guitar effects VST prosessors today can get pretty close to the real thing, but to me this sounds like the guitars has been recorded wby mic'n the amps. There are a few guitars (at least 3) playing. In the intro you have the clean sound from what sounds like a strat type guitar with what sounds like a flanger.

The main riff is a heavy distorted guitar most like doubled and once again doubled with a bass guitar. The doubled guitar is most obvious later in the song when one part plays power chords on the low strings while another plays on high strings. Difficult to tell exactly what effects are used other than to say it is distortion.

Awesome song BTW
    derkoi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Getting a particular guitar sound. 2009/09/30 13:49:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to experiment with my set up then, see what i can get out of it.

I'm thinking it might be wise to record the guitar clean and play around with settings in sonar to give myself more flexibility.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1