Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2009/10/01 23:14:27 (permalink)

Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing

Hey,

I'm wondering how many folks here mix their songs in the same project file that they track in? 

Or do most people track in one project file and then transfer all of the best or comped tracks to a new project file for mixing? 

Just wondering...

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

15 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/01 23:32:06 (permalink)
    I just do frequent "Save As" with fresh names like *this_song_21a.cwp"

And I throw away anything I think I'm done with. I can always go back a grab it from an earlier saved project version if I ever remember it and decide it is worth retrieval.

best,
    mike

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/01 23:43:44 (permalink)
    I may have multiple projects on the same song while I'm creating it, but once I pin down the timing and structure I nearly always mix in the same project I track in. 

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Dave King
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/01 23:47:30 (permalink)
    So does this mean that you start fresh with every mix as far as choosing effects and bus structure etc. or do you have a template or standardized project file that you have created over time that contains the effects and signal path that you normally use for mixing?
    post edited by Dave King - 2009/10/01 23:48:33

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/01 23:58:32 (permalink)
    It all depends. If I'm tracking an ensemble I set up a dedicated template so that I can move quickly.

If I'm working on my personal stuff I just start with a blank project.

best,
    mike

7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 00:04:10 (permalink)
    i use a template for my synth drums. session drummer 2 has a lot of routing, plus on that template i have my guitars panned how i like and everything all neat in folders. busses all set, eqs set for synth, ect..

i also do the songname10-01a.cwp. in case i need to go back one step or two.

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 01:36:47 (permalink)
    Once all of the tracks have been recorded, I will save to a "songnamemaster".cwp, and work from there. I will then apply any effects, bounce all midi to audio, establish the buss structure. I am now working with audio only, and the fx bins are empty, so there is virtually no load on the cpu. Pan and volume envelopes, cloned tracks, etc., are done at this time. Then maybe some fx work in the busses.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Dave King
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 17:27:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses.  What's gotten me thinking about this is that it seems like it would be a good idea to come up with a "standard" project file with tracks, buses and effects already in place so that I can just get down to business.  But, it always winds up (for me) that this is impractical because every project demands a different setup.  I just wish there was a practical way to get to work on a project without "reinventing the wheel" every time.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 18:34:16 (permalink)
    i have a master template with all the stuff that i will typically use and then dump tracks as i know i won't be using them. i use layers to keep things organized when tracking, and use folders when i'm done with a particular part (i.e., all the guitars are tracked and sounding fine).

i use the same project from scratch to final. if i'm working on a scratch that isn't much of anything i still use the same format, that way if i go back to it i just do a save as and i'm up and running.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 19:20:49 (permalink)
    gamblerschoice

Once all of the tracks have been recorded, I will save to a "songnamemaster".cwp, and work from there. I will then apply any effects, bounce all midi to audio, establish the buss structure. I am now working with audio only, and the fx bins are empty, so there is virtually no load on the cpu. Pan and volume envelopes, cloned tracks, etc., are done at this time. Then maybe some fx work in the busses.

I think that's the organized way to do it, and one day I hope to actually do it that way. Unfortunately I'm always changing & re-recording parts down to the last minute, so I've just gotten used to using the same file for tracking & mixing.

Templates don't work for me, but I'm hoping to change that now that I have a control surface.

Basically I have the most disorganized approach to songmaking ever, like Dave said, reinventing the wheel every time But in defence of that method, I think it lends itself to a lot of creative new ideas & experimentation.
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2009/10/02 19:24:43

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 20:03:37 (permalink)
    I'm wondering how many folks here mix their songs in the same project file that they track in?

The short answer is yes I do.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 21:15:48 (permalink)
    When you compare the time to set up a track to record in a DAW with the time it used to take in an ADAT or analog tape environment, you save a bunch of time even without templates.

If I'm going to do multiple recordings with a group of talent then I make a quick template of how I have things set up between the first and second number.   I do a quick SAVE AS in case I botch something up but after I've got a new copy, I delete all the wavedata and save the track setup as a tempate or as a project.  I just reopen that blank project and the first thing I do is save it as the new song name and run from there.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/02 22:52:15 (permalink)
    Dave King

Hey,

Or do most people track in one project file and then transfer all of the best or comped tracks to a new project file for mixing? 

Just wondering...

I don't see the need for having tracking projects' just to turn around and have to move everything to a mix project. A few cases in point, I see my templates have evolved as the vision of latest’ greatest’ methods changes, and I often customize for a new band’s tracking session and save as’ a new template from the basic, but on top of that- you can begin in tracking mode with a full ‘mix template with almost all of the non nonessential stuff turned off and/or hidden -opens up screen space to monitor lots of tracks plus allowing lower latency.
    As far as one size does not fit all’ (no doubt true in many cases) there’s nothing to say you can’t have more features, buses, tracks etc than you need for some projects and let them sit idle in the background (the power of the M’ key ) and/or ..collect a few different style base templates.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/03 01:15:26 (permalink)
    ..."Unfortunately I'm always changing & re-recording parts down to the last minute,"...

I have adopted a "three takes only" formula. I have found that after three takes, I can cut and paste the three tracks into a good single track, and then delete the unused parts.

I also forced myself to work with as few fx as possible, and use the same ones as often as I can. I set the fx fields once, maybe adjust them a second time, and hit apply. I found that if I keep looking for that perfect sound, that perfect take, etc., I never get anything done.

Discipline, and experience with what works, and a desire to actually complete a project were the original drivers, especially when I was working on my own music. Now that I spend most of my time working on other people's mixes, I don't charge very much, so every time I re-do something, it costs me money. Find what works, use it and quit re-inventing.

Of course, that is my philosophy, and I don't pretend to claim my way is the best, just the best for me.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/03 08:29:34 (permalink)
    I tend to get a rough mix going during the tracking phase - just to make sure things are sitting ok, with NO mix bus processing, leaving enough headroom for when the mix is finished.

Templates & Folders are a great timesaving & organisational tool - my templates are always in a state of flux as I tweak drum settings, EQ, sends etc.

This workflow makes it totally unnecessary to start afresh when tracking is finished, but I export as a 24 bit .wav into a "mastering" template with all my preferred plugs on it's own master bus once the mix is "finished".

Can someone please explain what "finished" means?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Workflow Question: Tracking vs. Mixing 2009/10/03 13:00:22 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

..This workflow makes it totally unnecessary to start afresh when tracking is finished, but I export as a 24 bit .wav into a "mastering" template with all my preferred plugs on it's own master bus once the mix is "finished".

Can someone please explain what "finished" means?

+1 on a separate 'master template. I see a huge paradigm shift when a string of mixes get put into context like that. I think this a good thing at all levels whether it’s going to mastering or not. Especially given how much more latitude you have for improvement with the opportunity to then go back to the mix to dial them in.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1