Putting my DAW in another room

Author
MastersMusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2009/10/02 00:39:55 (permalink)

Putting my DAW in another room

Need some advice from the experienced. 
I'm looking to put my computer in an adjacent room tomorrow due to noise.  This will be a 25 foot extension.   I need to extend my mouse ps/2, keyboard ps/2, monitor (VGA or DMI), firewire for Mackie 400f, USB for AlphaTrack, and misc USB connections.
Trying to keep cost down, so the way I see it, I will need:
1)    3 in 1 VGA, 2 ps/2 connectors.
2)    1 Firewire active extender
3)    1 USB 2.0 Active extender.
4)    1 USB HUB.

The main question I have is... can I do this without signal degradation or delay?   I'm worried that I may have an audible delay from the Mackie 400f to the computer with that 25 ft length.
Does anyone have a setup like this that can give me your thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!!!! 

post edited by MastersMusic - 2009/10/02 02:42:54

26 Replies Related Threads

riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 03:34:48 (permalink)
    This is certainly not said with any authority, just what I've read over the years:

I'm not sure if you will have any problems extending the PS/2 lengths, but the USB2 and firewire maximum lengths are each said to be about 5 meters.  Hubs can extend that distance, but you will supposedly incur some signal delay.  Plus, there may be a problem from voltage drop over longer distances since with USB we are only talking 5 volts.

It must be possible, though, since I've seen many studios where the computer case is located outside the control room.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 07:57:16 (permalink)
    Why not just replace the noisy components in the PC?
    That'll solve the problem... and you won't have to worry about running Firewire and USB 25'.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 08:06:39 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Why not just replace the noisy components in the PC?
    That'll solve the problem... and you won't have to worry about running Firewire and USB 25'.  

Interesting point - but is it more cost effective in the long run to get the longer cables? I mean, once the cables are bought you could go through further iterations of your DAW PC without having to go to the extra expense of buying noise free components?

Just my 2p !
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 08:15:37 (permalink)
    Interesting point - but is it more cost effective in the long run to get the longer cables? I mean, once the cables are bought you could go through further iterations of your DAW PC without having to go to the extra expense of buying noise free components?

The problem is that you can't just get longer cables...  

As has been said, you can run Firewire and USB about 15' (without using electronic means of extension).

If you're going to run video cables 25', you can't use cheap cable... or you'll have terrible 'ghosting' images across the screen/s.
    You have to use triple-shielded cable... which is expensive.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 08:18:42 (permalink)
    I can recommend Noctua CPU fan.  You can' t even hear it?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=start&lng=en

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 08:36:32 (permalink)
    I'm with Jim on this.  I went through the hassle of reducing the noise in my PC and I'm glad I did.  It is barely audible now.  I'd spend the money there rather than taking up another room (and trying to get cabling to work).

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 08:59:50 (permalink)
    Point taken - I used to have a really nasty KVM switch that had the worst quality cabling. My monitor was completely ghosted and the cable length here was no more than a metre!

I solve most of my PC noise issues by using low noise fans and isolating the PC in a drawer under my desk (with adequate airflow at the back).

As my Mics are all placed sufficiently distant from the PC I'm good to go.

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:06:34 (permalink)
    I also can't imagine the hassle of having my computer in another room. I mean what do you do if you're burning CD's or DVD's? Keep running back and forth? Back in the day, low noise components weren't easily available. I remember lining the inside of an old tower case with foam and creating little cardboard baffles for the PS fan in the back. Which worked pretty well from what I remember. At the point where I went with a rackmount case a few yeas ago, there were plenty of lo-noise solutions for power supplies and CPU fans and such. We're not talking about gobs of money here. It might actually be cheaper to go that route compared to running long cables for your monitors, keyboard, etc.

They make wooden enclosures too with front glass doors that cut down the sound. If you do the right things, you should be able to reduce the noise level enough to where recording in the same room is not an issue at all. I have to put my ear right next to my case in order to hear any noise at all. I've seen Marshall amps with fans in them that make more noise than my computer.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:35:04 (permalink)
    I have all my DAW computers in another room, and it works great. I've done this for years this way, to great benefit and total noise control, in three studios. The trick is configuring your control room and computer room to align to reduce cable length. :)

25 feet will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. Perhaps consider reconfiguring your spaces to shorten the lengths.

For my current config, I set it up so that the wall where my monitors, screens, etc., are located, are literally on the other side of the wall where the computers are in the other room. So the computers are really quite close to me, physically. Then I drilled a hole in the wall to run all the cables, and positioned all the DAWs in the other room on a low platform so their connectors face towards the hole in the wall.

No cable extensions are needed this way, except for PS/2, in my case.

Warning: Be very careful about drilling through walls... You don't want to hit any electrical stuff in there... :) Obviously!

The hole in the wall is drilled diagonally, to minimize noise pass-through, and is about 1 1/4 inch diameter wide. It accommodates 3 USB, 2 PS/2, 1 firewire, 2 DVI, 1 VGA (for a KVM switch) and 4 balanced cables so far. I could cram a couple more cables through if I'm desperate.

My mixing room is dead silent this way... the loudest thing in here is the Alphatrack which annoys me to no end when I'm mixing a delicate passage.

I also build (or buy) cases/fans/computers that are really quiet. That helps a lot. So even in the computer room, it's not that bad. I did have a graphics card fan start making a lot of noise recently, and that high-pitched noise still bugged me in the mixing room, so I just replaced the graphics card with a fanless one. Problem solved.

Personally, I think it's worth the effort. It makes my mixing/control room a good room for recording as well. I can sit with a guitarist in the same room and record soft acoustic passages if I had to, and the room is as silent as I'm gonna get for this budget.

EDIT: I keep making typos!
    post edited by eratu - 2009/10/02 09:37:50
    Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:35:35 (permalink)
    Good thing this thread came along - I too have been thinking alot lately about cutting the noise down on my PC.  I'm sure a search would result in several threads about the topic but was wondering if someone had a quick reference to cases/fans/CPU coolers that I can look for?  Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:40:33 (permalink)
    Jind

Good thing this thread came along - I too have been thinking alot lately about cutting the noise down on my PC.  I'm sure a search would result in several threads about the topic but was wondering if someone had a quick reference to cases/fans/CPU coolers that I can look for?  Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

one tip: When you search for parts on NewEgg, for example, you can see the noise ratings. I think you can even filter by noise ratings. Just buy the quietest components you can. Big fans with low RPMs (with low noise ratings) and fanless graphics cards have always helped me cut the noise down considerably.

For a cheap, quick build, the Sonata cases are pretty good since they have a little sound deadening material in them as well, plus some rubber mounting grommets for the fans and hard drives.
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:48:36 (permalink)
    Yes, I did exactly that: an Antec Sonata case, replacement case main fan from Antec (when the original started squeaking), and a fanless graphics card.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 09:59:38 (permalink)
    Jind

http://www.endpcnoise.com/

http://www.acousticpc.com/

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    tycho
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 11:23:48 (permalink)
    Mastersmusic-
    I went through all this a couple years back. I started by trying to make the computer quieter, had some success but the mic would always pick it up. There is no substitute for putting it in another room. You don't necessarily need all those long cables.  I am running a 6ft. FW cable in my setup, I just drilled a conduit through the wall to the next room and arranged the studio so that the main rack was closest to that wall.  You won't know how you got by with it in the same room once you remove it.  the only bad thing about it is when you're testing the comp or installing stuff, have to keep going back and forth to reset, put CDs in etc... 

As for the cable lengths, yes, you will have problems. esp. with the firewire, usb isn't much better. VGA will get ghosting over a certain length, so I stick with DVI for longer runs....but even that starts to snow at around 20+ feet.

post edited by tycho - 2009/10/02 11:25:26

| s.hansen
    | http://tychomusic.com - a u d i o
    | http://iso50.com - v i s u a l
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 11:43:17 (permalink)
    krizrox

They make wooden enclosures too with front glass doors that cut down the sound.

A soundproof rack enclosure would be the perfect solution for me. Not only do I have a noisy computer, I also have 2 Magma expansion boxes which sound something like the beginning of "Top Gun" when you turn them on.

The Magma boxes say you shouldn't run a bus interface cable longer than a few meters, and I'm guessing that goes for usb & firewire as riojazz said. Not only do you encounter delay, you might get dropouts & data loss due to the voltage drop (they say).

But who sells isolation racks? And how effective are they? Recommendations, anyone?

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    donhearl
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 11:49:06 (permalink)
    I also have the computer in another room, and have been running this way for 3 years.  I run the 15' FW 800 cable, VGA cables (15') and a USB 2 cable to D-Link Hub.  Extension cables did not work for me.  The ghosting was a b*tch.   I run the 2 DVDR drives off of the hub, with no problems. Off of the powered hub, I can run the 2 DVD drives, two external USB Hard drives, a Midiman 4X4 and a Frontier Tranzport.  I have actually cascaded Hubs for more USB.  I use thumb drives for transfering files.  The only thing I need to do is build a switch to turn on and reset the computer from the monitoring space.

Now, My computer is LOUD, but I have alot of fans in it.  For me it was easier to use long cables.  For my next build, I may consider moving the computer back into the monitoring space, but only if I can get the quietness down. 
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 13:38:38 (permalink)
    I'm in the "machine room" crowd as well... repeaters and extenders are available for every imaginable digital and video interface, and they tend to be a lot cheaper (and easier and quicker) than quieting an existing computer.

Next time around, assuming I am flush enough to do so, I'll let Jim R build me a quiet computer, but until then I'm happy with the extensions.

If it helps, I use a KVM switch I picked up from Cable2Go to extend one monitor, the keyboard and mouse, and one USB port. I used a fairly expensive video cable for the second monitor. I used a USB over Cat5 extender for my CD drive (cause I hate having to walk to the computer just to read or write a disc<G>), but that was not as reliable as I had hoped, so I ended up getting a USB repeater for just that device. I also use a Frontier Design Tranzport for remote control over the DAW.

Previously I had used a wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech, and that worked pretty well too, but the batteries became a bit of a hassle. I recently picked up another wireless keyboard and mouse because I really hate all the cables and I left the receiver local, plugged into the USB ports on the KVM switch. Probably silly, but it working.

If I had the money to buy or build a really silent computer I'm not sure that's where I'd spend... the machine room has worked out for me.

The machine room is also home to several tape decks, so it was already there. If one does not have a machine room then the quiet computer is a worthwhile quest... the really good isolation cabinets are quite a bit more expensive than the quiet computers, and they are physically large as well.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    vanceen
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 814
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 13:53:02 (permalink)
    I've got my computer set up in a closet. All the USB, FW, video and one PS/2 cables run to a wall plate with female connections on each side.

I'm not using anything like a 25' run, as I've got my keyboards/monitor/mouse station within about 6' of the wall, and within the closet the computer is about 3' from the wall.

I have no problems at all with delay or latency. And when the door is closed there is zero noise from the PC.

Burning CDs/DVDs is no problem, as I'm using an external burner that sits on my keyboard stand.

It's great!

SONAR Platinum
    Windows 10
    ASUS X99E WE
    Core i7 5960X  
    32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
    Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
    GeForce GTX 950
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 14:34:57 (permalink)
    The proper way to extend that stuff is with balums.  Here is an example of a cheap one.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-11347&CAWELAID=241013010

MCM has a lot of cheap ones but there are more expensive extenders.
    Check out this site they have all the pro stuff...

http://www.markertek.com/
    MastersMusic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/02 15:23:44 (permalink)
    Thanks so much everyone!!!!  Very very helpful!!   Looks like this topic is one that needs more input from people who are running at longer lengths.

After research I'm found that making the PC quieter may be more expensive than moving it into another room.  This is even buying the mid level products.  My Power supply fan is the loudest thing and that alone would be more than $150 for a quieter one.
    I like the idea of moving my desk closer to the wall of the adjacent room, but the room is a narrow rectangle and the adjacent room is of course on the long wall where the room is most narrow.  I tell you…there is always somethin’…
    Today I will look into all of the URL links that you guys have provided.  I need to really think about the two solutions and weigh them out…
    “Move to another room” or “make the PC quieter”
    By all means, if you have any other info please don’t hesitate to post more to this message.  I think there are others who would like the insight as well.
    I’ll post what I come up with as well.
    Thanks guys!

billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/05 16:02:59 (permalink)
    When I built my last home studio, I had one wall that butted up to a set of internal stairs.  I made the cavity under the stairs into a computer closet and lined it with multiple layers of high density acoustic rated drywall.  I also lined it with acoustic panels.  Then I put a heavy door on it and put an 80mm bezel through the drywall, with PVC pipe.  Once all the PC cables were through the pipe, I stuffed it with closed-cell neoprene.  The door to the closet was sealed with a rubber gasket.  Once that door was closed, you couldn't hear a thing.  The closet also had fan-forced ventilation so the PC ran nice and cool.  With the computer closet built into the studio, I was able to use passive 5 metre cables for everything.  I had no problem with image quality or USB.

Even with the best components, you can't beat a custom-built space to isolate your PC.  A sensitive condenser mic will always pick up PC noise, unless you are close mic'ing a loud source.  My studio was dead-silent (although I did build it properly with the right materials and the right techniques to decouple the internal walls from the rest of the building structure.

I have just moved to a new house and for the moment am living with a "quiet" PC in my recording space.  Even with the best components, there is no comparison.

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/05 18:12:47 (permalink)
    I too would like to use a separate machine room, but I have found my Akai MPK and M-Audio FTP do not work with USB hubs at all, and performance degrades considerably with longer than 6ft cables.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/05 23:00:37 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

I too would like to use a separate machine room, but I have found my Akai MPK and M-Audio FTP do not work with USB hubs at all, and performance degrades considerably with longer than 6ft cables.

Cheers
    Shad

have you tried powered USB hubs, shad, or just the ones that plug only into a usb port and no external power?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/05 23:14:17 (permalink)
    I have a powered hub (Lantech 2.0 powered 4port) with the brightest LED I have ever seen (it lights up the whole room heheh).

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/06 06:15:38 (permalink)
    FWIW, my pc sits in a rack, right in front of me and I can happily record vocals, acoustic guitar etc and not hear a thing from the pc.

I think the guy above who reckoned on spending $150 for a FAN needs to look a little further.

http://www.quietpc.com/

Again, in my opinion, you'll spend far LESS in making your machine quieter than moving it into a separate room, with all that this entails.

Just my 2 pence/cents/shekels

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Putting my DAW in another room 2009/10/06 11:30:36 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

I have a powered hub (Lantech 2.0 powered 4port) with the brightest LED I have ever seen (it lights up the whole room heheh).

Yep! I've got one of those, too!  sometimes I forget to turn the power strip off at night and the multicolored LED's flashing in the dark room is kinda spooky looking!

anyway - just wondered if using a powered hub would have helped your problem with the equipment.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1