Entry and Exit.Delays ???

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2009/10/03 10:55:59 (permalink)

Entry and Exit.Delays ???

I've just started adding automated delays for tracks that are fading out,and I was wondering how other people go about this ? I find you can get quite a cool effect if you increase the wide delays on the part fading out, at a differant position in the stereo field so it seems like you're really hearing the instrument fading away gently. I'm a bit confused wheter it's best to use a Pre-send here or a Post-send ? I've been using a Pre-send and automating the delay send amount so it crossfades with the volume (Volume going down and send going up) Again I'd love to know how other people are doing this !
I saw this technique on the net somewhere ages ago,so it may be fairly old hat to a lot of you ! But I thought about this which might be a cool spin on it - You can also use a delay for the opposite intention of bringing an element from the back towards the front.Again automating the volume and the send to the delay so they crossfade logically you get a realllllllllll nice smooth transistion !! Sweet !! Anyone got any more tips on automation ?:)
Kev

3 Replies Related Threads

mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Entry and Exit.Delays ??? 2009/10/03 14:35:56 (permalink)

Seems like more a question of convenience and work preference than a difference in result? ‘Post might be the typical position during most of the project so it might be that you stay with that, if the ‘track is going to have its fade anyway, then just bring up the delay. Downside would be if you run out of source level too soon.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    Re:Entry and Exit.Delays ??? 2009/10/04 07:15:47 (permalink)
    yeah I guess it works both ways ! I've just started using this technique,great buzz when you learn something new lol
    Kev

mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Entry and Exit.Delays ??? 2009/10/04 16:16:55 (permalink)
    I was going to add but didn't want to stray' right off is the happy accidents factor' -and as an example in 'pre/post. Often I'll print a track from a hardware reverb. Since actually recording the verb would usually be fairly late in the project with most of the level moves set (and the send being 'post) having the verb subsequently react as a 'pre effect it's sometimes a nice surprise.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1