Basics for a good demo

Author
karalie7@aol.com
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 712
2009/10/03 19:18:51 (permalink)

Basics for a good demo

Hi everybody, I have been thinking about doing a demo to use for promo. I have decided to use four songs, three originals and one cover. These songs have strong beginnings, too. Should I have the demo mastered? What are other basics do I need to know before I begin and end this project? Thanks for the input. karalie and ijenneh
post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2009/10/03 19:20:33

8 Replies Related Threads

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/03 20:14:57 (permalink)
    It depends!

Ain't it always that way?

To answer your question with general thoughts...

1) unless you are trying to show off your engineering chops I don't think it is necessary to have a demo reel mastered. While most of civilization seems to have lost the necessary imagination required to listen to a demo, there is still some level of understanding amongst some folks that a demo is a demo.
    2) Figure out what you are trying to sell - songs, performances, engineering, or whatever, and make that the focus.
    3) Most demo reels (at least the old ones) were short, and assembled snippets of the three or four pieces (or more if you are trying to show off your composition or production chops). However, I always include the full pieces after the demo track.
    4) FOCUS! You will have limited time to get someone's attention!

I find the demo reel to be one of the most difficult tasks in music production!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/04 00:17:41 (permalink)
    I have to agree with everything that Bill said in the previous post, especially the last line, "I find the demo reel to be one of the most difficult tasks in music production!

The art of the demo was, at one time, a presentation, with exactly what has been said, "snippets", short pieces of no more that thirty seconds of your best stuff. Then the intended audience and desired result also come into the equation. Are you trying to get your band a paying gig at the local club? You might consider a snippet in the middle of the mix that has the song starting up, fade to the end, and some audience response with stage banter. But only once, and shorten the audience noise. ( Of course, that is very old school, when you might actually know the club owners, "small town" thinking )Are you trying to sell to a producer? Just the snippets.

Also take into consideration your recording/mixing skills. Can you put a decent mix together, or are you working with several people, or is it all guitar/vocal by one person to sell the originals as a "singer/songwriter?

So many things to consider. Why not give us more details?

Later
    Albert
    post edited by gamblerschoice - 2009/10/04 00:19:09

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/04 01:51:55 (permalink)
    Hi Bill & Albert, thanks for the input. I'm making the demo primarily for booking gigs and radio stations for the band here around Portland and Seattle. The songs I am considering are on our soundclick:

Am Ba Vlan Dance
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8024751

Rivers of Babylon
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7633045

One Thing I Ask
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6838520

There is one more song we are finishing that is not yet posted. There will be three originals and one cover as stated before. I will probably have it produced by discmakers with a digipak or slim case, it is very reasonable for 100 copies.
    Thanks again. Karalie & IJenNeh
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/04 22:47:54 (permalink)
    Karalie - I've heard your stuff you've posted on the Songs forum. Trust me, it's more than demo ready. Your stuff sounds very professional. I would to attend one of your shows!!
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/05 01:10:47 (permalink)
    So, Karalie, the obvious answer, or at least the obvious answer to me would be to either cut a cd of the same type of snippets they use on the cdbaby site, thirty second tastes of each song, or take/mail a full cd. If you are going in person, take a full cd, have a demo "snippet" cd to leave behind, have a good business card, put together a tri-fold leaflet that has all of the important information in it, glossy or semi glossy paper, you can create a professional looking piece with software you can down load for free (I use this in the real estate business to highlight a special property). If it is a mail out, have an introduction letter, business card and snippet cd in a bubble pack. Spend some time with the intro letter and/or leaflet, shoot for professional appearance, make sure all the important information, including websites and contact info is there, spell check several times and have a third of fourth person check your grammar and spelling.

If you have someone else write and print your letters and other documents, spell and grammar check them. I see adds on the internet, adds in the paper, adds posted in store windows and in magazines, and the amount of misspelled words and incomplete sentences is astounding. It can kill a deal, and you would never know, 'cause they will not take the time to call you and tell you to correct yourself, but simply toss your material without further consideration.

I have passed on deals, thrown away things without consideration, simply because of the improper use of "there, their, they're", stuff like that.

Later
    Albert 

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/05 09:56:41 (permalink)
    Good advice from the folks above.

For gigging what you have is more than sufficient.  We did a cassette tape (back in the day) with a collection of song snippits..... and included it in all our promo packages to clubs. We worked steady so it must have been OK.

If you are trying to get some radio play, then yes, I would have the songs mastered at a professional mastering house, and yes...if you are going to produce CD's for sale at the gigs, I would also have them mastered. You could probably self master a couple of hundred to get the money you need (avoid this if you have the money to master from the start) , but in the long run... a mastered CD will sound better, and an unmastered CD will stick out like a sore thumb in the radio mix against the other songs that are mastered.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/05 13:01:55 (permalink)
    Hi again,
    Thanks Dave for the encouraging words.
    Albert, thanks for the additional information on the promo pak to leave with the potential gig.
    Hey Guitarhacker, I was thinking of not our songs playing on radio but doing live radio. We have had other spots on NPR and VOA and our local KBOO station in Portland. We have one cd out(which we had mastered by someone) with this group and our new cd will feature 15 songs so that is why I was thinking of doing a demo of a few strong songs. Maybe I should get the demo mastered...........................
    Thanks, Karalie & IJenNeh
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Basics for a good demo 2009/10/05 19:34:13 (permalink)
    If you're trying to sell the CD...yeah if you can't get it close to the commercial standards...get it done by a pro.

A good CD will open doors to you for live radio too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1