Kind of a specific mixing board question.

Author
Schlieren
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
2009/10/04 17:14:58 (permalink)

Kind of a specific mixing board question.

I've got a setup for recording at work that looks like this:

I'm using a 2642a eurorack.

The bass is loud enough to hear while I record. I do not want it in my monitor as well.

I am having trouble discovering how I can route the mixer so that I can monitor the track coming from the computer, while NOT monitoring the track from the bass line in, BUT with the bass track actually getting to the cpu for recording it.

Basically, I know nothing about mixing boards, and the manual really isn't any help either.

Any ideas?

. . . . . .

2 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Kind of a specific mixing board question. 2009/10/04 17:57:16 (permalink)
    There is a very good likelihood that you will experience a latency delay if you live monitor the mix through the computer.

This is why a lot of mixers and or interfaces with mixers on them, have "zero latency" monitoring where the signal is split from the pre to the headphone jack, and to the input to the computer.

I do not know the specifics of your setup, but you would have the mic go into the mixer, and the mixer send to both the computer and the headphones. The Computer will then process and output to the stereo input on the mixer and be output to the monitors (which will be off during recording).

Inside sonar, you can then trigger "input monitoring" to hear the processed signal "live, but there will be delay, and the delay will get worse the more effects you throw at it (they all need to be processed in serial).

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Kind of a specific mixing board question. 2009/10/04 18:05:35 (permalink)
    First off you'll be wanting to get one of these-
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/MX2642A_P0019_M_ENG.pdf
    Page 9 is a flow diagram, if it's 'greek at first, keep hitting it. It gets clearer/easier as you go trust me.
    Phones/Control Rm options are only 'solo, 2-track return and main mix. Looks like unasigning the bass channel from the Left/Right main would do it.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1