Digital Room Correction

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2009/10/05 07:31:14 (permalink)

Digital Room Correction

I'm looking for some learned opinions on the benefits and short comings of digital room correction software. Any advice or experience you have with such software would be hugely appreciated.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

20 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 08:37:14 (permalink)
    There are a few threads on this.
    Here's one I dug up.
     http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=1750146&mpage=1

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 08:40:12 (permalink)
    Don't get me started... I promised myself I would be nice to everyone for a week or two, or maybe more.

I'm going for a bicycle ride.

:-)

Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 10:26:12 (permalink)
    You're always going for bike rides now lol.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 10:50:54 (permalink)
    The Edirol M-16 DX has this built in and it works. It is not perfect but it is far and away better then doing this with trial and error. I believe this and a well prepared acoustically treated room will get great results.  However a treated room is for many a luxury beyond their ability to realize. This can still help in those cases. 

Best
    John
    DigiBiu
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 10:59:44 (permalink)
    Well, about a year ago I put up 15 sound panels in the studio, and got the Samson D1500/D2500 eq/anilyzer setup and my mixes have never translated better than they do now.  Don't know if it's one or the other, or a combo of both, but Im happier with my mixes now.

http://digitalbayoustudios.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/digibiu
    David Stuckey
    Sonar X3 Producer ,Windows 7 64bit ,6G Ram, Quad Core 2.6,3 1 UAD 2 card, 4 UAD-1 Cards, 2 Dell 24" LCD, ADAM ANF10, Avantones, Crown Power Amp, Great River ME-1, UA Solo/610, Distressor,Presonus ADL600,, RNC, RNLA, 2 PBC-6a, JoeMeek MC2, ART Pro Channel, Yamaha MO8,Korg Triton,M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Custom Shop Fender Twin, 76 Randall Tube Amp, Custom Blue Runner Tube Amp,
    Lynx Aurora 8 FW
    Apogee AD8000 SE
    MixedLogic M24 Control Surface
    Yamaha Pro Mix 01
    DaveT
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 12:36:02 (permalink)
    I tried the RMC mode on my JBL monitors to see if that would help my room. No surprise that it didn't work. You have to fix the room. I've got some Real Traps and they help a lot. Still have a bad null at 160 hz because of the room dimentions. I could probably use some of those Real Traps corner jobs.

Check with the Real Traps guys. They can help you.

DaveT
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 12:42:33 (permalink)

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 13:16:40 (permalink)
    the short version...

many (most?) acoustical problems in small rooms are caused by bad reflections and the room dimensions themselves. These are physical, time domain problems, and as such the actual errors will be different in different locations.

It is theoretically possible to apply the exact inverse of a transfer function to a signal, but that will not necessarily fix a time domain problem, in order to do that you need a frighteningly accurate, and detailed measurement. And at that point you are still correcting a time domain problem within the frequency domain.

This does not mean that all of the room correction designs are snake oil... there are cases, in a well designed room, where the room correcting software can help - think of it as the icing on the cake.

And therein lies one of the great ironies of the audio industry!

Consider all the "pro-sumer" gear with single-ended inputs and outputs. It can work, it can work really well, but it can only work when installed by a very knowledgeable person. Do the manufacturers target that person?

Flip side, consider a device designed for the pro marketplace, balanced I/O, proper grounding of the power feed and the shields, etc, and any idiot can hook it up and get great performance from it.

The same applies to finishing touches like room correcting speakers and symmetrical power distribution - they do make an improvement, but only when everything else is already right, and even then it's incremental.

If you have room problems you need to cure them at the source, not the symptom!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 13:19:53 (permalink)
    digital snake oil

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/05 13:48:35 (permalink)
    Two weeks ago my studio had some but not the best of room treatment.

However last week In installed an Auralex Roominator 2 kit the difference is remarkable.

The really nasty bass hump I had at one spot is now under control. I can hear across the entire spectrum very clearly

I do realise not everyone can afford such "luxuries", I can't, but now having experienced  some real treatment I can only say start by treating your room it really is the only way to go.

PS I have no experience with correction software.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    pollux
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/06 07:27:34 (permalink)
    I use ARC by IK multimedia and the results are very good.
    It does not replace a good room treatment and a good set of monitors, but having this in mind (a.k.a. not expecting miracles) there are improvements.
    munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/07 09:34:48 (permalink)
    This thread has me highly intreagued.  I have discovered that my tiny room is untreatable because of its tiny dimensions.  I had given up on it.  However, arc might give me a second lease of life if it is as good as everyone says.  On the subject of snake oil...I found that room treatment was exactly that.  I sent dimensions to Auralex who made me buy a bag of goodies.  It did not make much difference.  Later I found out that the issue was my room dimensions.

Only thing is that arc is kind of pricey.  Howver, I will have to bite the bullet.
    wst3
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/07 14:06:17 (permalink)
    A couple of thoughts before you spend (more of) your hard earned money...

First, one does get what one pays for, the free advice offered by Auralex and their competitors is a hit-or-miss deal. Sometimes they get it spot on, sometimes they don't... when they don't they seldom chase it down, as they are too busy answering new queries. I've always thought this was a bad idea, but you are the first person I've heard from that was completely dissatisfied.

Any kind of DSP solution is subject to not only the same rules that apply to physical correction, but a handful of mathematical oddities as well. Depending on your room construction it's entirely possible that a DSP solution won't work either.

In general, room correction software will only add that last 2%, it usually requires that most of the big acoustical problems are already resolved. Specifically, early reflections are darned difficult to cancel out with DSP.

And here's the part that bothers me... I've worked in some really tiny rooms, spaces that had absolutely no right to work, and yet they did. They were designed by a guy who learned the dark arts in Europe in the 1970s, when small control rooms were the norm. He learned well... one room that sticks in mind was probably less than 8 feet from to back, and maybe 14 feet or a little more wide, and yet the stuff I worked on there translated beautifully to the rest of the world. And that space was crammed with gear, this was long before the advent of the DAW.

I won't spend a whole lot more time on it than anyone else for free, but if you want to post your room dimensions, wall construction details, etc I'll take a quick look.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    munmun
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/08 12:15:25 (permalink)
    wst3

A couple of thoughts before you spend (more of) your hard earned money...

First, one does get what one pays for, the free advice offered by Auralex and their competitors is a hit-or-miss deal. Sometimes they get it spot on, sometimes they don't... when they don't they seldom chase it down, as they are too busy answering new queries. I've always thought this was a bad idea, but you are the first person I've heard from that was completely dissatisfied.

Any kind of DSP solution is subject to not only the same rules that apply to physical correction, but a handful of mathematical oddities as well. Depending on your room construction it's entirely possible that a DSP solution won't work either.

In general, room correction software will only add that last 2%, it usually requires that most of the big acoustical problems are already resolved. Specifically, early reflections are darned difficult to cancel out with DSP.

And here's the part that bothers me... I've worked in some really tiny rooms, spaces that had absolutely no right to work, and yet they did. They were designed by a guy who learned the dark arts in Europe in the 1970s, when small control rooms were the norm. He learned well... one room that sticks in mind was probably less than 8 feet from to back, and maybe 14 feet or a little more wide, and yet the stuff I worked on there translated beautifully to the rest of the world. And that space was crammed with gear, this was long before the advent of the DAW.

I won't spend a whole lot more time on it than anyone else for free, but if you want to post your room dimensions, wall construction details, etc I'll take a quick look.

Dimensions below:

measure 8.5ftx6.5ft. The ceiling is only 6.5ft high
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/08 12:32:40 (permalink)

Ouch. Good luck treating that room. The only thing that could make it worse would be if the length were also 6.5'. And by the time you get sufficient trapping in there it'll be even smaller. I'd be looking into some good headphones. And plan to send your stuff out for mastering.

EDIT:
    OK, that reply was too negative. Let's try to remain optimistic. First of all, your room is small enough that you won't have huge problems at very low frequencies. See? It's not all bad news.

Of course, your biggest room mode lands on a musical note (E) and is going to have a narrow bandwidth due to two room dimensions being the same. You're going to need some serious absorption, like 4-6 inches in the corners and 2-3 inches on the ceiling and side walls.

And, though I hate to say it, you may have no choice but to employ some room correction. It'll only help in the mix position, but your room's too small for other listeners anyhow so make it as flat as possible in that one spot.

The good news is a room that size doesn't need ARC if you don't want to spend that kind of money. You're correcting a very localized spot in the room, the area where your ears reside when you're mixing. You can do that with an inexpensive hardware equalizer such as the Behringer FBQ2496. Setting it up is time-consuming, but all you need is a decent microphone and SONAR.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2009/10/08 13:26:07

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    munmun
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/08 12:47:15 (permalink)
    Do you think that arc would help?
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/08 13:32:00 (permalink)

8.5ftx6.5ft. The ceiling is only 6.5ft high

I'll raise you three windowed walls and a concrete floor.   My new digs until we get an addition built. Actually, I'm closer to 9 x 9 x 8. Somehow it sounds okay to me, but I'm not much of a "mixologist". Maybe it's all the crap I have in here diffusing the standing waves.   Also, I have a big open doorway into the rest of the house opposite my monitors which probably helps.

Edit: On the upside, the light and the views are terrific, and in-floor radiant heat is the bomb! 
    post edited by brundlefly - 2009/10/08 13:35:55

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    wst3
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/08 13:38:58 (permalink)
    oye!!!

That's a small room... and most of the bitflipper's answers would have been mine. I don't like to speak ill of others, but frankly I'm a little surprised Auralex even offered to sell you treatments, with those dimensions there is very little room to play.

But let's try anyway... can you provide the surface finishes, e.g. carpet, wood or concrete floor, sheetrock or wood walls, sheetrock or tile ceiling, etc.

Also, describe or sketch the loudspeaker & listener placements.

Is there room/patience to try building out one or two of the surfaces?

And can you give me a list of the stuff you bought from Auralex?

Great recordings have been made in some very small control rooms, it's a matter of fixing what can be fixed, and learning how to interpret what the room/loudspeaker system is telling you.

While I'd never intentionally do it again, I had to help a friend record a simple demo back when I was between studios. For grins I agreed to do it, even though I had to do it in my office, which was probably about 8' x 10' with an 8' ceiling (again with the dup'ed dimension!)

The good news was that I had listened to so much music while working there, and on decent book shelf speakers driven by a decent amplifier (I was single back then<G>) that I was able to do a decent mix. Not the best work I've ever done, and I really only got away with it because there was very little low end energy - just guitar and vocals.

And no, it wasn't easy, and yes, I spent a fair amount of time second-guessing myself. And even more time listening to the mixes in other locations.

To answer your last question, ARC or something similar might help with frequency response problems, but as Bit pointed out, an equalizer might do the trick. Physical treatments to re-route the early reflections is the only way you'll fix those. Since you already have some absorption product I'd probably see what you can do with that before spending more money on a software solution that I still think will provide limited benefits... and then only if we can get the loudspeakers into the near-field for real.

Ever thought about knocking down some walls<G>?

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/11 11:58:25 (permalink)
    munmun

Dimensions below:

i would see if one of the other vampires has a bigger coffin.

- jack the ex-cynic
    wst3
    Re:Digital Room Correction 2009/10/11 18:22:51 (permalink)
    jacktheexcynic
    i would see if one of the other vampires has a bigger coffin.
    Funny... maybe a bit mean, but funny!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1