ANSWERED: Assigning GuitarPro imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3

Author
slamecka
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2009/10/07 22:00:11 (permalink)

ANSWERED: Assigning GuitarPro imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3

I have a frustrating issue that occurs with both SD 2 and 3 but cannot isolate the solution.

I often download guitarpro tab files from the internet, open them in GuitarPro 5.2, and then export them to a MIDI file.  I do this to get the drum track to songs I want to record in Sonar 8 Producer.

The subsequent import process if very simple..

1) Create new project with no tracks in Sonar
2) Drag MIDI file from Win Explorer into the tracks pane which creates separate tracks for each instrument.  I delete all tracks but the MIDI drum track
3) Insert SD 2 or 3 as a soft synth (w/ an associated MIDI track) and load a drum program

At this point I have confirmed that I can record MIDI data using a keyboard and playback through SD fine.

4) I then drag the downloaded MIDI track into the SD MIDI track or I assign the output of the MIDI track to SD (have done it both ways)

It's important to note that at this point I can still click on the drums in the SD instrument window and they play fine.

5) The problem occurs once I hit play to play the MIDI track.  It appears that the MIDI track does not trigger SD although I have confirmed that the correct MIDI notes are being sent.  The output is assigned correctly and I have tried both direct assignment to SD and assignment via DrumMap Manager.

From this point forward, I cannot get the SD instrument to play.  Clicking on the drums no longer produces any sound and recording a new MIDI track with my keyboard no longer produces a sound thru SD when played back.  The only thing that resets SD is reloading a drum program.

I am completely stumped as I have confirmed most of the things I understand about MIDI are correct.  I have tried remapping the notes to Channel 1 (SD default channel) manually and have also done the same through a Drum Map translation.  Interestingly, clicking on a note from the downloaded MIDI file from within the Piano Roll intially triggers SD and a sound is produced.  However, after trying to play the same track, this procedure no longer works.

I must be overlooking something that is messing up SD but I can't figure it out.  BTW - if I try this with any other drum source (BFD, Velocity, RM V) everything works fine.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.   Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
post edited by slamecka - 2009/10/07 22:33:48

5 Replies Related Threads

slamecka
    Re:Assigning imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3 2009/10/07 22:24:09 (permalink)
    I brief update to my original post...

I discovered that if I re-loaded the drum program in SD while the MIDI track is playing then I get sound from SD.  However if I stop and restart playback I get no sound.

This suggests that the MIDI note data is fine and that there is something about the MIDI track itself that is possibly causing an issue with SD.

If there are any GuitarPro users out there that can duplicate this, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    slamecka
    Re:Assigning imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3 2009/10/07 22:33:20 (permalink)
    Well I figured it out on my own so hopefully this information helps someone....

It appears that exported MIDI tracks from GuitarPro place a strange bit of data at the beginning of the MIDI file.  I was able to see this when examining the beginning of the track in the Piano Roll view.  It appears as a light blue dot and is not itself valid note data as it is not possible to look at the properties by double-clicking.

In any case, deleting this data from the Piano Roll view solved the problem so I consider this a valid fix for anyone having problems using SD 2 or 3 with imported MIDI tracks from GuitarPro 5.2.

Hope this info helps someone
    Melvin J.
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re:Assigning imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3 2009/10/14 18:53:49 (permalink)
    Nice thanks! This is good info as I have imported drums and etc from Guitar Pro into Sonar many times before.
    Have you ever used Tux Guitar before. It can play either Guitar Pro and Powertab files. I use it pretty much exclusively now.
    MorlokVonGrimorog
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Assigning imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3 2015/12/29 14:11:23 (permalink)
    I'm having a very similar problem but there are no blue dots in my piano roll view....also nothing is showing up in the event list view. I'm using Native instruments Studio Drummer. I loaded the synth with another track as an audio out, then I opened the piano roll in the NISD midi track, clicked on the keyboard to the left...it worked....I entered some notes and they played back....but when I drag the midi clip from the GP track into the NISD midi track, none of that clip will play even though the notes show up....totally confused.

MorlokVonGrimorog
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Assigning imported MIDI drum tracks to SessionDrummer 2 and 3 2015/12/29 14:39:35 (permalink)
    Wow....solved it already....if anyone has the same problem try this...I took a good look at the working midi clips vs the non working ones and discovered in the event view that in the non working clip's event view that all the notes were on channel 10 while on the working clips they were on channel 1....then I opened up the VST dialogue and looked at the midi in....it was channel 1....so first I experimented and tried changing a few of the notes in the non working GP clip event view to channel 1....and I got sound....the problem was that clicking on every single one of the events to change the channel would take to long....so I opened the VST dialogue window and changed the midi input to channel 10.....and it worked....I hope that helps. Diabolical Blessings.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1