Preparing for Mastering

Author
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
2009/10/08 08:41:39 (permalink)

Preparing for Mastering

Hi All,

We are contemplating having our new music mastered by a pro rather than doing it ourselves.  In my current mixes I tend to add a buss compressor and limiter on the master buss.  Is this OK or will that be a problem for mastering?

I know that there is still headroom available because our mixes are not as hot as most popular music today.

Although not pro, I've taken a song or two and used Ozone after the fact and it worked out pretty well, so I'm thinking that the buss compressor/limiter additional haven't hurt that scenario.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/feedback.

Thanks,
Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 

13 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 11:12:58 (permalink)
    Send them the mix YOU LOVE.

If that requires a bit of buss compression for you to LOVE IT, so be it.
    If it requires EQ on the main buss, so be it.
    If it requires Reverb on the main buss, so be it.

My advice....don't expect the ME to fix your mix.  If it needs something....do it before mastering.  Just make sure you leave headroom as instructed by the ME.

And....go to the mastering session if at all possible.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 12:16:14 (permalink)
    Everything stated above is absolutely correct, the ME will not adjust or fix anything in your mix. They will master the songs as complete project, there may be some eq or volume adjustments for continuity across the full cd, but what you send them is what they have to deal with. You are sending stereo wave files, not bundles.

The safest approach would be, after researching and deciding on the best Mastering House that meets your particular needs, contact them and talk to a rep. Ask for details, what are they expecting, or what will work best for them. They want to produce the best possible product, so they will want to get the best possible raw material to work with. If they give a "send anything, we can work miracles" attitude, go to the next name on the short list.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 13:05:28 (permalink)
    RMS anywhere around -20 dbfs and peak anywhere around - 10 dbfs

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 16:53:51 (permalink)
    RMS anywhere around -20 dbfs and peak anywhere around - 10 dbfs

That low for peaks?  I thought the standard was around -6db

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 17:42:46 (permalink)
    As someone who does mastering I am afraid I disagree with what has been said here. Obviously some of the people here have never mastered an over EQ'ued, compressed and limited mix. It is just crap and there is no where to go.

Buss compression is OK but be very careful. It should not be too violent. Buss compression with a ratio of about 1.3:1 and gain reduction of -3db max. Also set the attack time to let the transients through.

EQ on the materbuss. BAD. Why have you got  EQ. If you need EQ then your mix is bad. Achieve the sound from the mix you want, not masterbuss EQ.

Limiting on Masterbuss absolute NO. Because there is good chance you will overdo it and how good is your limiter anyway?

Levels. Average is around -20db, peaks can come up to -6 tops. This gives the ME room to move.

Let them get the EQ and compression and limiting right. Not you. If you were good enough to master then you would be doing it.

Talk to the mastering people and ask them. You will find all the stuff I have just said here applies.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 18:04:27 (permalink)
    I am absolutely with Jeff on this one. 

Don't do anything the ME can do better. 

The ME will not necessarily fix the mix, but giving them the option to do what is needed is a good idea.  You may need to compress individual tracks if you are sending a two track mix, but many ME's will appreciate (for example) a 5 stem version with lead vocals, drums, bass, guitar, BG vocals, that has no or little compression so they can make individual elements "sit" better in the final product.  Never limit or use other compression on the master buss, that is the final step for the ME, and EQ only individual instruments, not the entire mix, and always send 24 bit tracks when available.  I think you will find all ME's are of the same mind in this. 
    post edited by rumleymusic - 2009/10/08 18:05:49
    Dave King
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 20:29:30 (permalink)
    To continue this discussion... Does it make sense though as a mixer to put some compression and maybe a limiter on the master bus while mixing to get a sense of a mastered recording, but remove them before sending the mixes off to the ME?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/08 22:07:07 (permalink)
    Originally I was totally against any form of master buss compressionm but I read a great article about it in Sound on Sound, I tried it and it changed my view. I now think a little buss compression is good and it translates into a better master as well I believe.

Yes to Dave. I leave the buss compressor on when printing the track, but it is only gentle in its action. Glue type compressor. If I wanted a slammin pumping compression effect, then I agree the buss is a good place to do it. But many of us are not producing slammin mixes. (Phew), we are making more normal mixes I hope. Ones that are a bit more dynamic, more use of the 16 bit medium, less compressed, more natural etc..

Compression on the master buss, even gentle, alters the mix slightly so you need to re adjust a few things to get the mix back. Compression ratios multiply as well so if you use say 1.3 to 1 on the masterbuss then all track compressors will have their ratios multiplied by 1.3. You have to back some of those off a bit too.

I leave the 3rd area of compression to the mastering stage. So three coats of paint for compression. First on the tracks, second on the buss, 3rd in mastering. Remember all those ratios are multiplying!

I am right into calibrated monitor gain now. You have to set up so your -20db reference level produces 83 db in each monitors. (Bob Katz, K system metering!) When you mix, you can add precise amounts of monitor gain and you are hearing the music at mastered levels.  During mastering the monitor gain gets turned down precise amounts to allow for the increase in volume to your mix.

No limiting for me during the printing of the mix. I see mastering the best place to start using limiters for the purposes of volume rasing etc.. I like Waves LU3 etc. Not sure if Boost 11 is great but maybe a new limiter from Cakewalk would be a fine addition to Sonar. There are great 3rd party limiters around anyway. By the way Bob Katz loves digital compressors and limiters and I agree with him, they can sound fabulous. ( I find altering lookahead time can really effect the compression, you cant do that in an analog compressor)

In mastering, I get the EQ to add about 2 db of gain, the compressor another 3 db or so and the limiter about the same. Then you end up with a track that is fairly loud (6 to 8 db higher than your mix) and still has plenty of transients and weight in the sound.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/09 05:33:49 (permalink)
    OK, thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  I really appreciate the info.

I don't have any EQ on the master buss (just on individual tracks where necessary), just the UAD Precision Buss Compressor then the UAD Precision Limiter.  I will remove the limiter during our final mixing and ensure the RMS levels are appropriate.

I'm also going to check the db level of my monitors to ensure similar levels that the ME would use.

Thanks again,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    batsbrew
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/09 13:09:20 (permalink)

that low for peaks?  I thought the standard was around -6db 

yes, that low for peaks.
    unless you really trust your meters.
    again, it's subjective, based on how good of a mixer you are, and how you achieve your -6db peaks.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/09 13:12:22 (permalink)
    i've been mixing with very mild compression on my master buss now, for about a year.

i like it.
    sounds good.
    with the buss compression scheme, i'll allow peaks to -6.

but any mix without, i go to -10.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Dave King
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/09 19:06:50 (permalink)
    i've been mixing with very mild compression on my master buss now, for about a year. i like it. sounds good. with the buss compression scheme, i'll allow peaks to -6. but any mix without, i go to -10.

Care to share your settings?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Dave King
    Re:Preparing for Mastering 2009/10/09 21:50:01 (permalink)
    I just stumbled upon this: http://www.homestudioguru.com/695/10-tips-to-prepare-your-music-for-mastering-2/

It mirrors a lot of what has been said here already,

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1