Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible?

Author
agoraphone
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/10/09 15:51:22 (permalink)

Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible?

I'm thinking of getting the UA-1G but have some questions first.

1. Can I plug a guitar into the 1/4" mic/guitar input and a mic into the 1/8" mic input and record both simultaneously as 2 separate channels?  I'm worried that using the 1/8" jack would override the 1/4" jack.

2. Is the 1/8" mic input jack a stereo jack or mono?

3. Can I use this as an output device for iTunes, Windows Media Player, and other general apps like Internet Explorer - or is it usable only by music apps like cubase, live, logic, etc?

4. Will it work under Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for help answering!

8 Replies Related Threads

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2009/10/09 16:50:22 (permalink)
    Hello agoraphone,

Some answers for you;

1. You can only record from either the 1/8" mic input or the 1/4" mic/guitar input; you cannot record from both inputs simultaneously.

2. It is a mono input

3. Yes, you can use it as your default audio output device for all your applications, not just music recording apps

4. Windows 7 drivers are not available until after Windows 7 ships. I would expect them later this month after Windows 7 is released (10/22/09).

Hope this helps,

Samara

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    bugsinspidey
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/12 11:36:30 (permalink)
    I am planning to buy cakewalk ua-1g usb audio interface,so have some doughts regarding it.

1. Can i use a studio condenser microphone(Behreinger c1) with cakewalk ua-1g by using an XLR to 1/4" cable?

2.Is it possible to use two headphones simultaneously while recording,so that 2 people can monitor what is being recorded?

3.Is it advicable to use cakewalk ua 1g to make professional studio records?

Thank You
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/12 13:01:07 (permalink)
    1. The UA-1G 1/4" input does not provide phantom power. If the mic can be self powered with batteries it will work fine with the UA-1G.

2. You can get cables/adapters that can split the headphone output into two so you can use two sets of phones. But that will also split the signal strength to each headphone in half. I can't speak to how loud you would be able to turn them up but it wouldn't get as loud as using just one set of phones. It would be better to get a headphone amplifier and plug that into the UA-1G headphone output. Adapters are cheap if you want to try that out and see how it works for you.

3. It is POSSIBLE to make professional studio recordings with the UA-1g as long as you work within its limitations. It is ADVISABLE to spend more money and get a more sophisticated and versatile audio interface, such as one with good preamps, hardware input monitoring and XLR inputs with phantom power.
    bugsinspidey
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/12 16:50:28 (permalink)
    Thnx for ur reply....

1. I have a separate phantom power for my condenser mic.

2. No..what i meant to ask was....whether i can plug one headphone in d digital o/p jack and the other one with RCA cables into the RCA phone out jack....and listen to the mix simultaneously from the two headphone.

3.What limitations does it have other than phantom power?
        At present i am recording with my internal inbuilt laptop soundcard with 16 bit/44.1KHZ spec and i am gettin this quality(www.youtube.com/bugsinspidey)..just check the link...Will i get more quality than this by using cakewalk ua 1g?

Thnk u

Chappel
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/12 17:34:54 (permalink)
    The RCA jacks output a line level signal and the output level is not adjustable on the device. I don't know how useful that would be as a headphone output. You could try it but you'd probably be better off splitting the regular headphone output. I still recommend getting a headphone amplifier for best results.

I'd say limitations of the UA-1G include having only one stereo pair for recording/playback. If you never record more than one stereo source or two mono sources at one time this may not bother you.

More sophisticated audio interfaces have hardware input monitoring so you can listen to what you are recording with no latency and blend the input signal with the output signal with a knob. That's a pretty handy feature for most recording applications and especially for singers. The UA-1G has input monitoring but it works through the software and is neither as intuitive as that feature built into an interface nor as easy to use.

More sophisticated audio interfaces sometimes have built in compression on the inputs which can help record a more dynamically balanced track.

I use my UA-1G with a mixer and  think that's the best way to use it if you have one, though you can use just the UA-1G.

The most important question is what do you want to do with it and will the UA-1G do that. If you want to record 4 separate things at once and have each one on its own track, the UA-1G can't do that. If you're only going to record one thing at a time, the UA-1G will do that just fine. It will also allow you to use soft synths much better than an onboard integrated audio interface will allow you to do.

I can't say the quality would be better than what your video shows, but you would be able to record at higher sampling and bit rates, which many users say can facilitate recording/mixing even if the end product is then converted to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit. You might be very happy with the UA-1G and decide to upgrade, or not, in the future.

Pretty good video, by the way. I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work.
    bugsinspidey
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/15 05:34:47 (permalink)
    Hi

Had a dought..... can i hear what i am recording at 24 bit/96Khz sampling rate....????
    Chappel
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/15 07:12:52 (permalink)
    bugsinspidey

Hi

Had a dought..... can i hear what i am recording at 24 bit/96Khz sampling rate....????

The 96 kHz mode is not full duplex, so you can PLAY at 96 kHz or RECORD at 96 kHz, but not both at the same time. This is what the manual says about that:

bugsinspidey
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G question: simultaneous mic & guitar recording possible? 2011/06/16 02:27:38 (permalink)
    SO i will never be able to record my vocals with a music track with 24bit/96Khz setting rite?

Den wats the use of 96KHz spec???
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1