Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group.

Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
2009/10/11 00:40:50 (permalink)

Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group.

Dear forum people,

I play  piano and the B4 (two keyboards), and One-Man-Band provides the backing real time. That is MIDI and the sound can be any soft or hardware sound module. I currently am using soft-Synth.

The voice track is independent and dry recorded. On that track I have the effect Reverb/JazzClub. I do some compression (reversible by un-do). Not too much to it.

My question, though, is about the audio that is from the MIDI accomp. Usually that sounds OK as played, and have not been doing any thing to it, other than volume up or down so voice it's OK for voice.

But I want to try some effects on the accomp, as a group, at its resultant audio track. So what basic (to start with) enhancements could I try for it?

Also, if I don't do any enhancements to the accomp, but do as said to the voice, and mix voice and accomp, what basic enhancements should I try on the final combination?

I am basically trying to learn basic ways of improving what I already have, not at all to pro level. I want to learn like one at a time, as well as possible.

My case: I am baffeled by the vast amount of effects I see when I open the menus, and after I try some, I am really lost as to what is best from one to the other. Maybe next day, if I record them, I can tell, but not while I am applying the effects. My quality control gets confused after a while.

Thanks for any replies!

4 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group. 2009/10/11 02:27:54 (permalink)
    There will probably be as many opinions on this as there are forum members.

In order to place any effects on the midi data, you have to do it in the audio track, just in case you didn't know that.

You can add any effect you would like to them, though. Adjust the eq, add some distortion, reverb and delay and echo, phase and flange, compress for effect (squash the daylights out of it), whatever else you have in your tool box.

I did go through the phase of downloading all of the "free" vst's I could find way back when, but have since deleted most of them. I have found that I use very few now, and usually the same ones. But I shoot for simplicity, and with the multitude of effects available, I was trying one, then another, then two or three in sequence, and never getting anything done. You can drive yourself to distraction quickly.

Sorry, probably not much help, and just ignore that part about where to add the effects, I just threw that in because I have seen it asked before. I have no idea your experience, so it was not meant as anything more than help.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group. 2009/10/11 02:38:27 (permalink)
    But I want to try some effects on the accomp, as a group, at its resultant audio track. So what basic (to start with) enhancements could I try for it? Also, if I don't do any enhancements to the accomp, but do as said to the voice, and mix voice and accomp, what basic enhancements should I try on the final combination? I am basically trying to learn basic ways of improving what I already have, not at all to pro level. I want to learn like one at a time, as well as possible. My case: I am baffled by the vast amount of effects I see when I open the menus, and after I try some, I am really lost as to what is best from one to the other. Maybe next day, if I record them, I can tell, but not while I am applying the effects. My quality control gets confused after a while.

First off youll need to learn what effects do and what dynamic controlled effects do, then youll be able to judge what your music and tracks need.
    Effects are chorus's, reverbs, flangers, EQ and so on.
    Dynamic controlled processors are compressors and limiters. although compressors and limiters can be used as effects also.

You should read up on "Complimentary Eqing " Techniques and learn everything there is to know about the effects you own. Then youll know when and how to apply and use them. We all started with no knowing anything about them. Also, just because you have all these effects, doesn't mean you need to use them. After you learn what you have and how the can effect audio, youll make a decision based on what you think your song needs in order to get you to ware you want to be, as far as sound, color, clarity and mix goes.

The order of effects will effect you effects also. Like putting a reverb before a compressor and putting one after a compressor. It depends if YOU want the reverb effect compressed or not.

Also youll need to make decisions on if you want to use bus's or not. For instance, putting a compressor on a bus and sending a track post fader can give you parallel compression and putting one on the track, will give you just compression. I can go on and on and on for another 30000000 pages, but that would be tiresome. So get out there asnd start reading and doing. Books are great

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group. 2009/10/11 20:13:07 (permalink)
    Hang with us NoKey.  You will learn quickly as you record repeatedly, but ...

You need a lot of effects to be sure.  But if one at a time ...

Perhaps ... depending on your scenarios ... garage band?

Volume envelopes and (pre-fader) compression on all non-synth track(s):

The bass and drums get the most compression (Sonitus compessor?)

Vox gets a bit of compression, too.  You may use your eye-meters to help you get - 3 dcbs (or such) ... consistently through a song.

EQ/Filters: On all tracks: an HPF filter at 30H to 1000Hz on on every track ... depending on how much bass you want to save for your goove.

Reverb: Start with ambience verbs (Perfect space) by Sending your track signal to a reverb-buss ... a bathroom reverb or church reverb is fine.  (Note: everyone here, methinks, has a reverb-buss for sending various amounts of reverb-returns to.

A mixing book: Roey Izhaki's Mixing audio has never gotten a bad review.  I've read it many times ... and it has CD examples that are simple and fast to learn from, IMHO.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Would appreciate suggestions on effects to instruments group. 2009/10/12 03:33:35 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the good replies. I did not expect a final answer, just some brief suggestions, because this is so vast.

Briefly, I am not about to download anything, nor to learn a lot about this. Just a few practical things. I have read a lot in this forums and do keep it in mind all the time.

I am limiting myself to what Sonar LE comes with. The problem is it's hard to tell what effects do and are used for, without trying them out, and that takes a lot of time. Some times, even, I click one and I like it, but there's no way for me to know for sure which one I enabled, because Sonar does not show the whole name of the one I enabled, specially when from a sub-group. But that's not a big deal. Somehow I find out.

I believe that I'd be better off to ask specific questions, and I will, If I may. So, I do plan to hang on, but will be more specific.

Gambler, I am aware of the effects for MIDI to be on the resultant audio track. Actually that's in my question above, but I realize it's a bit too ambiguous.

Some principles as Philips mentions is what I will ask about later.

Also, of course I have already found some effects that I liked in the Sonar LE, They are only 4 or so, and I use them based on a minimum information or documentation. Perhaps that's what I am after.

Thanks again, dear people.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1