Cleaning Up Older Recording, How To

Author
robertmauricei
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/10/13 22:05:51 (permalink)

Cleaning Up Older Recording, How To

I found a cd of a few songs my partner and I recorded over 15 years ago.  I would like to make them sound a little more "EQ'd" and clean to be played on more than the computer.  Is there a favorite plug in or EQ used by anyone for this purpose?  Currently using SONAR 8.5 PE to attempt this restoration.  Any Ideas?  Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Related Threads

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Cleaning Up Older Recording, How To 2009/10/13 23:22:11 (permalink)
    That is just like asking someone how has never seen the house in question: "I have a new house and want to do some interior decoration, what should I do to it?" Can't be answered. It all depends on what's wrong with the track to begin with. You would tend to be looking at re-mastering this I suppose, if you don't have the original takes, so you might be looking at a linear phase equaliser. Maybe it needs some noise reduction too? Compression? Maybe if you post a sample up on the songs forum someone may be able to help. It's way too difficult to suggest anything without hearing the track first.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Cleaning Up Older Recording, How To 2009/10/14 14:44:19 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

That is just like asking someone how has never seen the house in question: "I have a new house and want to do some interior decoration, what should I do to it?" Can't be answered. It all depends on what's wrong with the track to begin with. You would tend to be looking at re-mastering this I suppose, if you don't have the original takes, so you might be looking at a linear phase equaliser. Maybe it needs some noise reduction too? Compression? Maybe if you post a sample up on the songs forum someone may be able to help. It's way too difficult to suggest anything without hearing the track first.

+1

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Cleaning Up Older Recording, How To 2009/10/14 17:15:38 (permalink)
    I also agree... the results will depend greatly on what you have to start with.

Having said that... if the recording is a clean mix, you can certainly spice it up a bit with Ozone. I even took some old cassette songs that I really liked and loaded them into my DAW and used Ozone to add a really punchy low end and bring back the sizzle to the highs..... the result was pretty good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1