Helpful ReplyAdding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list...

Author
dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
2009/10/15 16:52:37 (permalink)

Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list...

I'm not sure what the mechanism is that makes this happen, but WaveLab shows up in my SONAR Tools dropdown...which is really handy if I need to do some microscopic wave editing.  (It makes a "tool copy" of the clip and opens up WaveLab with the clip in it.)  I'd like to be able to do the same thing with iZotope RX in order to use the Spectral Repair inside SONAR.

Hoping that it was just a matter of putting some stuff into the registry, I tried making a copy of the WaveLab section under...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu

...changing it to "iZotope RX" and changing the path entries appropriately.  This made it obediently show up in the Tools menu, but it claims some sort of failure when you actually try to use it.

I haven't seen a "front door" way that you are supposed to be able to add tools...and the "back door" way isn't quite workin' yet.

By the way, the Spectral Repair gizmo in RX is freakin' magic.  I had a client wearing a bead necklace while playing acoustic guitar.  I guess I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention...but the beads were clacking against the guitar every so often.  (Someone else in the studio had to point this out to me mid session.)  As long as the "clack" didn't fall on a guitar strum or changing vocal consonant, erasing the clack was undetectable...but I had to get out of SONAR to fix it.

Dan Tarbill
dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 12:40:45 (permalink)
So y'all are saying that NO ONE knows how to make this work?

Dan Tarbill
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 13:58:25 (permalink)
it claims some sort of failure when you actually try to use it

Just guessing, but this could be some sort of clue...

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
ara
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 14:29:33 (permalink)
I think its available, drops down,  as a vst effect, but only for like five second snippets. So I find myself just editing the whole track offline. That way I can clean the whole thing of noise and then open back up in Sonar. Like you, I find it to be completely amazing. One thing I wish is that the editing tool was not a rectangle but rather could be a circle because (at least the visualization) the sound waves are usually "wavy" and I'd like to be able to curve inside them.   Sure this doesn't help.   Ara    Unbelievably Great Music, V 
dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 15:06:17 (permalink)
bitflipper

it claims some sort of failure when you actually try to use it

Just guessing, but this could be some sort of clue...
It's a clue...but not much.  It says...

SONAR 8.5 Producer
<!> Cannot create process
OK

This suggests to me that the RX executable hadn't even gotten involved yet.  I was thinking that it might be that the space embedded in the "iZotope RX.exe" name was confusing the parser...so I enclosed it in quotes in the registry.  That didn't help either.

I'm not seeing anywhere where the tool interface semantics are published...so I'm pretty much just guessing here.

Dan Tarbill
bitflipper
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 15:28:44 (permalink)
Yeh, that's not much of a clue. "Cannot create process" is about as vague as can be. I was hoping for a more helpful error message.

In your registry key, do you have the full pathname of the RX executable? Verify that it's correct: copy it directly out of the registry and paste it into the Run window and make sure the application starts.

If that works, next try appending the path of an audio file and try executing that from the Run window.

My Stuff
dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 16:32:16 (permalink)
bitflipper

Yeh, that's not much of a clue. "Cannot create process" is about as vague as can be. I was hoping for a more helpful error message.

In your registry key, do you have the full pathname of the RX executable? Verify that it's correct: copy it directly out of the registry and paste it into the Run window and make sure the application starts.

If that works, next try appending the path of an audio file and try executing that from the Run window.
I've done all that.  RX with a filename on the command line opens the file the way you would expect.   Note though that when you start WaveLab from the command line with a filename as a parameter, it doesn't open with the wav file open.  This suggests that there is part of the mechanism that I'm still missing.

Dan Tarbill
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 19:18:06 (permalink)
If you're not using SONAR x64 have you tried SONAR Utils (google it) as it has a mechanism for adding things to the SONAR Tools Menu

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
kevo
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 20:42:07 (permalink)
The first place I would look is the shortcut for the iZotope program.  Some programs do not allow a direct launch of the exe.

The Program shortcut will tell you for certain what your registry settings and paths should be.

All you have to do is right click it if it has an icon on the desktop, and select properties.

It may also be something as simple as a syntax error in the registry.

You can also copy and paste the info from the Program shortcut to save typing.

EDIT: a line accidentally got deleted.

There is a variable in the registry called "CmdArgs"  that probably needs to be there.

But the easiest way to do this is with the Sonar util Mike suggested.
Or what the dude who posted after me said.
post edited by kevo - 2009/10/16 21:15:57
bj237175
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/16 20:46:01 (permalink)
I got this from Cakewalk support when my Adode Audition wasn't showing up in the Tool dropdown. Hope it helps. Every place that it says Cool Ediit, change it to iZotope RX.
Click here for to downlod the Blank Tools Menu Entry.reg file.

1) Copy the Blank Tools Menu Entry.reg to your Windows Desktop.

2) Choose Start | Run.

3) In the Open window, type REGEDIT, and click OK.

4) Click the Plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

5)  Click the Plus sign next to Software.

6)  Click the Plus sign next to Cakewalk Music Software.

7)  Click the Plus sign next to Tools Menu.

8) Click once on the folder labeled Tools Menu so it is highlighted.

9) Choose Registry | Import Registry File.

10) Locate the Blank Tools Menu Entry.reg file on your Desktop and double click it.

11) You'll now see a dialog box open that says Blank Tools Menu Entry has been successfully entered in the Registry. Click OK.

12) Beneath the Tools Menu folder, you'll see Blank Tools Menu. Click this once to highlight it.

13) On the right hand side of the screen, double click on the item that says ExePath.

14) In the Value Data field, type the path to Cool Edit's .exe file. You can find this by right clicking on the Cool Edit shortcut and choosing Properties.

15) On the right hand side of the screen, double click on the item that says MenuText.

16) In the Value Data field, type Cool Edit.

17) On the right hand side of the screen, double click on the item that says Status Bar Text.

18) In the Value Data field, type Run Cool Edit.

19) Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

You should now have Cool Edit in your Cakewalk Tools menu.

mudgel
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 00:07:20 (permalink)
Thanks for posting that procedure. I was able to use it in SONAR 8.5.1  (x64) to add Sound Forge 10 to my tools menu. (SF 10 is not native x64 go figure so it doesn't show up in SONAR's Tools menu)

On testing it works perfect. I can now select a portion of an audio wave in SONAR select Menu/Tools/SoundForge10 and the highlighted portion of the file loads into SF10 just as it works in SONAR x86.

SONAR UTILS doesn't work with the 64 bit version of SONAR if you have both 32 and 64 bit versions installed (Which I have)

that tip should be a sticky somewhere for SONAR x64 users as well.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 08:58:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/05/12 04:09:08
This information is not published or supported so don't ask too many questions :)

External tool configuration info is stored under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu. 
There are three categories of tool types which are supported:
Generic - these are normal tools that are not project data context sensitive
WaveEditor - tools that operate on project data such as wave files
SysxEditor - Tools that edit sysex

Common tool arguments:

ExePath  - This is the fully qualified path to the tool executable. Type=String
MenuText - name of the tool as appears in menu Type=String
Type  - Tool type <Generic, WaveEditor, SysxEditor> Type=String
StatusBarText - [Optional] expanded text that appears on status bar when the tool is selected in menu Type=String
Modal  - [Optional] If the tool should open its window modally blocking access to SONAR while running <0/1> Type=DWORD
CmdArgs  - [Optional] command line arguments such as switches passed to the tool if any. Type=String
    The following special arguments are expanded:
     - /ParentWnd$ this is the window handle of the application frame
     - /VSTInventoryRegKey$ this is the key to the VST inventory

CurrentDirectory- [Optional] The current directory in which the tool should execute Type=String
HelpFilePath - [Optional] Path to the help file for the tool if any Type=String
HelpFileTopic - [Optional] help file topic ID. Topic ID to be loaded from help file Type=DWORD

Generic tool specific arguments:

Args  - [Optional] specific expanded line arguments when the generic tool Type=String
    works on the SONAR selection and takes a file name such as a wave file
    The following special arguments are expanded:
    $(FILE)  - the fully qualified file name of the wave from the selection
    $(FILEBASE) - the base file name of the wave from the selection

Generic tool example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu\Plugin Manager]
"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Cakewalk\\Shared Utilities\\PluginManager.exe"
"MenuText"="Cakewalk Plug-in &Manager"
"StatusBarText"="Run Cakewalk Plug-in Manager"
"Type"="Generic"
"Modal"=dword:00000000
"CmdArgs"="/ParentWnd$ /VSTInventoryRegKey$"

WaveEditor tool specific arguments:

ShortFileName - <0/1> [Optional] Instructs tool to use short (8.3) file names for wave file argument. 
                           if the tool requires short file names on the command-line Type=DWORD
RegionFlag - <0/1> [Optional] Expands to pass "/REGION:<start>,<duration>" to the tool on the command-line. 
                    Some wave editors like SoundForge used to use this format where the region specifies the
                    start and end of the selection to be edited in samples Type=DWORD

post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2009/10/17 09:06:23

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
mudgel
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 09:30:46 (permalink)
Thanks Noel,
I've copied it for future reference but don't understand a lot of the additional info you provided.
Anyway its good to have a method to make it work seeing as SONAR x64 can't seem to do it automatically.

We used to use SONAR Utils but it stopped at version 3.? and doesn't support 64bit.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 14:41:46 (permalink)
dantarbill

bitflipper

I've done all that.  RX with a filename on the command line opens the file the way you would expect.   Note though that when you start WaveLab from the command line with a filename as a parameter, it doesn't open with the wav file open.  This suggests that there is part of the mechanism that I'm still missing.
It turns out that the problem I had with the WaveLab test was that it wanted the full path for the wav file.  So...both WaveLab and RX should act like WaveEditors and they both take a file on the command line.  Noel's documentation would indicate that ALL the secret sauce is in the registry.  Furthermore, a suitably modified copy of the WaveLab reg entry in...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu

...should work just fine.  Yet, there is still the nebulous and unhelpful error.

Ahh...I FOUND it!

RX seems to need to have CurrentDirectory specified in the registry for it to find all the resources it needs.  It works now!  Thanks everybody (Noel in particular).

Dan Tarbill
bitflipper
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 14:47:42 (permalink)
Thanks for that, Noel. That's the first time I've seen the Modal flag mentioned. I assume that was added to address a specific problem. Are there utilities that are known to require modal operation?

Oops, sorry, I wasn't supposed to ask any questions.
post edited by bitflipper - 2009/10/17 15:31:45

My Stuff
Cakewalk Staff
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 16:50:47 (permalink)
IIRC it was to solve the converse problem. When I did plugin manager integration I needed it to be non modal and added a bunch of new items to the tool options like the parent window etc.
Some of the tools menu settings have been around a *long* time - since the pro audio days or earlier, and dates back before my time at Cakewalk.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 16:53:23 (permalink)
Dan, Its cool that it works now. Some tools require the current directory to be set.
You might want to post your reg settings for other users of RX. Also you could let Izotope know in case they want to self register this when RX installs. Sound Forge used to do this years ago.

Noel Borthwick
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/17 19:33:01 (permalink)
Ummm... you do realize that iZotope RX runs as both standalone and plug-in, right? You don't need to use it via the Tools menu if you use the plug-ins.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/18 15:09:46 (permalink)
garrigus

Ummm... you do realize that iZotope RX runs as both standalone and plug-in, right? You don't need to use it via the Tools menu if you use the plug-ins.

Best,
Scott

Yes...

...and no.

I realize that the RX tools can be used as VST plugins.  But...the most useful tools (like Spectral Repair and Denoiser) are a lot easier to use if you can see the context in RX itself.  With the Denoiser, it's a lot easier to see candidate "noise only" regions with the spectral display.  With Spectral Repair, the tool needs to see a whole region at once instead of just applying some sort of transform to an audio data stream.  When you instantiate Spectral Repair as a VST plug, it gives you this long list of instructions that is frankly unnecessary if you can just open RX with a tool copy of the region of interest.

Dan Tarbill
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/19 09:28:58 (permalink)
Ah ha... okay, I see what you mean.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

dantarbill
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2009/10/19 11:34:26 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

Dan, Its cool that it works now. Some tools require the current directory to be set.
You might want to post your reg settings for other users of RX. Also you could let Izotope know in case they want to self register this when RX installs. Sound Forge used to do this years ago.
I'm not seeing a forum on the iZotope site.  I went to their customer support site and logged my registry tweaks as a "trouble ticket".  That might make it show up in their installer, but it doesn't help users now.

Is there an official or un-official iZotope forum out there?

Dan Tarbill
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re:Adding iZotope RX to the SONAR Tools list... 2016/11/02 12:11:45 (permalink)
Via the tools menu you can add Wavelab or Adobe Audio - but not RX iZotope.
Therefor is "RX5 Connect".
You need "Connect" ONLY for spectral repair.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1