Basic mastering question

Author
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2009/10/20 05:54:55 (permalink)

Basic mastering question

I've read lots and lots of posts on this but still struggling to find out what I'm trying to achieve here. I recently posted a song, and one poster mentioned that some mastering would bring out all the niceties from the mix. Trouble is I don't know where to start.

I've got my mix probably at the best I'm able to get it at the moment, and it's exported to a wav. I normally just import back to a new project, stick Ozone 3 in the master bus and go through all the presets to see what sounds best.

The books I've read are

Mixing Engineer's Handbook (Bobby Owsinski)
Understanding And Crafting The Mix (William Moylan)
Guerilla Home Recording (Karl Moryat)

Once the mix is imported into a new project, basically I'm trying to understand what I do from there. Do I put Voxengo SPAN on the master bus, then try to achieve a certain waveshape? This is the sort of real basic thing I'm lacking. (the books above don't seem to be enough 'hands-on')

I used to picture mastering as being something that is done relative to a selection of songs, ie making a CD sound plished and complete. However, what about when a single is released and there's no other songs to be relative to?

Sorry if this is another stoopit question.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass

3 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Basic mastering question 2009/10/20 08:21:43 (permalink)
    Mastering is about getting the tracks to sound great individually but uniform, putting them in the right order and making the whole final production flow from A to Z. It is scientific and artistic at the same time.

Another very very good book is 'Mastering Audio' by Bob Katz.

Get your mix sounding as great as it can. Keep peaks well clear of 0db FS. (I dont mind a little gentle compression on the mix masterbuss, it helps to establish good final mastered tracks later)

Allow time to pass between mixing and mastering. Setup a new mastering session and import your mix. Generally there are three processes on the master buss. EQ, a Multiband Compressor and some Limiting. They all have different jobs and they all add a bit to the overall volume. These stages of EQ compression, limiting etc can be all digital or sending your mix through some fine analog processors or a combination of both. Tape machines can be handy as well. I am a believer that digital mastering processes are sounding fantastic now and better than ever before!

With EQ a great thing to do is to have a professionally mixed album of your favourite music right in the same genre. Enable your monitoring to be able to switch over to this reference from time to time. This will help you set your EQ. Your mix may not need a lot of EQ but sometimes things like a little dip at 250 Hz and some sweetening on the very highs might just be it. Use the 64 bit plugins when doing this.

All this work should be done manually. Presets are no good and presets have no idea about the material they are affecting. Sure they are not bad but better mastering happens when you treat each piece individually and carefully set each process.

The multiband compressor comes next and with practice you can get it adding volume to the track and still keeping it punchy and it seems to come out more polished after the compressor. There are settings in Bob Katz's book. It does take a little time to get to know the multiband but after a while you can pretty well make a big improvement to the sound. Bypass the compressor all the time to make sure you are doing good. The final limiting can bring the volume up another 3 db or so and not effect the mix. There are some great limiters around. Boost 11 is not fantastic at this. Other limiters are a bit better for now. The Sonar EQ and Multiband are surpurb though.

Switching back to the reference keeps you on track all the time.

Out of a group of music tracks, there is ususlly one that stands out as having the perfect sound for your album. You do this one first and also keep it in check with the professional reference CD. Now you do your other tracks and also have the first track you mastered on hand to listen to at any time so you can keep the EQ and compression and limiting on all the remainder tracks in tune with it.

VU meters (real ones and expensive) can keep all the levels of the tracks in check. There is no need to go for the loudness war volumes that is happening right now. It effects other areas far too much. There is a point where you can still have punchy and transient information present, but the track can be quite loud at the same time.  You then select the song order and start burning CD's and listening to them. The time between tracks also needs to be carefully adjusted as it varies. If a track fades, it does not need as much silence in between tracks as a track that ends quick and big. You end up making a few different track orders and between you and your artist you end up working it out.

You should be able to play a complete album at a distance at a dinner party and not take much notice but all the tracks should flow with nothing sticking out. Even the slightest thing will be obvious like a track being too soft or too loud or starting way too soon after an ending etc... Good luck!
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/10/20 08:30:26

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Basic mastering question 2009/10/20 09:33:52 (permalink)
    Jeff has great advice. But to supplement his post, I would highly recommend reading Yep's post (#3) on this thread for some very useful tips on beginner home mastering.  I have Bob Katz' book and it is very informative although often very advanced level.

And to answer a specific question of yours, Voxengo's SPAN is a useful tool for double-checking your ears and also pin-pointing exact frequencies that may need some EQ help.
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re:Basic mastering question 2009/10/21 02:05:27 (permalink)
    That's great advice Jeff, thanks very much for taking the time.

I've read before regarding using the professionally mastered reference track...that is what I'm going to do.

Cheers
    Rob

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1