DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function

Author
Keebo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 576
2009/10/22 22:21:31 (permalink)

DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function

I posted this on the Sonar Forum but I got no replies so I figured I would try here.

Is there a way to get the control surface/MIDI Learn function for buttons and knobs to be saved within Dimension Pro and Rapture?  It works fine until I remove the synth and reload it again.  All learned functions have to be re-learned which is not very helpful.  I suppose I could try to get ACT to cooperate but that is another story.

I saw no mention of saving these settings in the respective manuals/help files.  I hope I am just missing something.

Thanks.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64 bit
Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 32/64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function 2009/10/23 05:33:14 (permalink)
    It works fine until I remove the synth and reload it again.
    First of all, we need to establish for certain that these are the full versions of Dimension Pro and Rapture.  The LE versions can also be 'MIDI-Learned', but the respective installation processes does not create the required subfolders for it.

In both Dimension Pro and Rapture, the MIDI Learn configurations need to be stored in a 'MIDI' subfolder.  DimPro isn't 'Vista-compliant', so that will be under your main ...\Cakewalk\ ... tree structure.  For Rapture (noting that you use XP in your system specs), it will be under ...\Documents and Settings\Application Data\ ...

If you don't see a 'MIDI' subfolder, then create one yourself.  If you simply can't find the exact location(s), try this:  In each synth, go through the process of binding a control using MIDI Learn.  Then search your hard drive(s) for 'MidiCfg00.bin' (Dimension Pro), or 'MidiConfig00.bin' (Rapture).
    Keebo
    Re:DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function 2009/10/24 13:56:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for replying.

I have Dimension Pro that came with Sonar 8 Producer and the LE version of Rapture.

I did not find the folders you mentioned so I bound a control for both synths and searched my hard drives as you suggested.  Neither file was found.  This was while the synths were still open and then again after they were closed.

I then created a "MIDI" subfolder in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro and it now works - thank you.

Rapture LE is not cooperating though.  I created the following subfolders but "MidiConfig00.bin" or a variation of it does not show up anywhere:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MIDI

C:\Documents and Settings\*My Name*\Application Data\MIDI

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\MIDI

C:\Documents and Settings\*My Name*\Application Data\Cakewalk\MIDI

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture LE\MIDI

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture LE\MIDI

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\MIDI

Thank you very much for getting DimPro working for me.

Any other suggestions for Rapture?

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Keebo
    Re:DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function 2009/10/24 14:01:34 (permalink)
    Well, I got Rapture to remember the bound controls by clicking on the save icon by presets.  I searched again for any new or modified .bin files and it still did not show up.

I'll forget about the reasons and enjoy knowing that it can be done now.

b rock, again I thank you taking the time to help me.  You do indeed ROCK!
    post edited by Keebo - 2009/10/24 14:36:14

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
    Windows 7 64 bit
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function 2009/10/24 17:42:41 (permalink)
    Any other suggestions for Rapture?
    That's odd.  I have it working by creating a 'MIDI' folder in this path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture LE\MIDI.  I've answered this question on the Sonar forum before, but (unfortunately) the search function of this new forum software really sucks.  I can't even find my own posts, in spite of the fact that I already know all of the search criteria details.

At any rate, I'm glad that you have Dimension Pro up & working.  I just checked from within Sonar, and Rapture LE is saving the MIDI configurations just fine in my systems.  The same goes for those who discussed the process in the previous thread that I mentioned.  You may not be able to find a *.bin file if your XP system is not set to 'Show Hidden Files & Folders'.

Other than that, we must both be missing something unique in your system settings.  Rapture LE is not 'advertised' to save its MIDI configurations, but I can assure you that it is possible.
    Keebo
    Re:DimPro/Rapture MIDI Learn Function 2009/10/24 18:36:09 (permalink)
    I feel your pain with the new forum software.  Search used to be a very good way of answering questions without having to ask again.

I had to enable Show Hidden Files & Folders in order to see Application Data in order to get there and to add the subfolder.  I used the MS Start>Search feature to look for the file instead of looking for them manually as there were several subfolders that I created.  Lazy, I guess.

Now that I looked directly in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture LE\MIDI, that .bin file shows up.  But the search feature still does not find it.  Kind of odd.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1