Help needed! How to slow down a song...

Author
DrummedOut
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2009/11/13 23:43:01 (permalink)

Help needed! How to slow down a song...

Hi,

I have an external song file (in both .wav and .mp3 formats) and it is at 100bpm. I want to import that song into MC at 100BPM and then be able to change the tempo either up or down so I can create faster or slower versions of that same song - and then export those new versions.

I have tried importing the song file and playing with the tempo box but it doesn't appear to change the tempo of the imported song file at all. What am I doing wrong?

Also, lets say I want a version of the same song for 100BPM, 120BPM, 140BPM, 160BPM, 180BPM and 200BPM, would I get better results importing the original song file at 100BPM and speeding it up to create the other versions, or would I be better off importing the song at 200BPM and slowing it down to create the other versions - which way will give the better quality songs?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2009/11/14 00:28:20 (permalink)
    It would probably be easier and you'll get better results if you re-record the songs at the different tempos.
    Read up on Groove Clips in the help file. I've never messed with the tempos of audio tracks, and I understand it can be done. Maybe you can do it with groove clips.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2009/11/14 09:54:16 (permalink)

Slowing or speeding up the wav or mp3 file that you import will probably distort that wav file somewhat depending on how much you slow it down or speed it up.

However if you're just using it as a type of "guide" for the creation of your own project where you'll eventually be replacing that wav or mp3 file with your own audio files, then there's a way to do it.

First try highlighting the eintire audio file (or section of the audio file) that you want to change tempo. Then go to Process > Audio FX > Cakewalk > Time/Pitch Stretch.

A window will open. Leave the Pitch field alone unless you want to change the pitch. In the Time field is where you change the tempo. You'll have to do a bit of math in order to achieve the exact bpm you want. Enter in the percentage, click OK, and you'r good to go.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    CakeMaker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2009/11/19 22:36:44 (permalink)
    there are a couple of things- one is called "slowdowner" and i think other one is "GoldWave" but I may have that name wrong.  They're not great- but if u really need to slow it down I think u should look at these
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2009/11/20 08:18:06 (permalink)
    As has been mentioned..... slowing a wave/MP3 is not an easy thing to do...AND have it sound right after the conversion.

Cake (I think some versions) and some other programs have a time stretcher/shrinker in them.... I know Cake does, because in an earlier version I had, they had installed a function that allowed you to stretch voice over (or shrink) to fit a commercial spot.

these stretchers tend to work best when you are making very small conversions, and on spoken word as opposed to music.  For example to shrink a 32 second voice over to 29.5 seconds for a commercial radio spot, you will likely not have or hear any problems.

As Greg said.... record the songs at the speed you need.

That applies to audio... however....

if you are working with midi tracks.... a totally different story.   Simply highlight the entire song...change the BPM in the top tool bar and presto.... you're done......same song, new speed, everything works perfect......  as long as there are NO audio tracks.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2009/11/20 09:35:46 (permalink)
    This can be done in the sample editor (Loop Construction) I know in MC4 because I just tried it.

1. Double Click on the audio track wav which will open up the Loop Construction.
    2. Notice the Boxes  Beats in clip followed by Original BPM.  Click on the Enable Stretching Icon next to Original BPM. ( This enables the BPM's to be changed )
    3. Now Change your BPM to the speed you wish your audio to be played at.
    4. Also Note the Transition detect Percentage. If you increase this ( I did 99%) you should get improved performance  upon playback.

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

brockwaywc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2016/03/10 09:12:59 (permalink)
    Along these lines, If I have a drum loop at 100bpm and I want it to be 88, should I just look for a loop thats 88 or try and slow down the 100. i am using a click track and have specific needs. Also, how do I go about adding a ritard on a measure....thanks. Newbie here!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Help needed! How to slow down a song... 2016/03/17 14:19:50 (permalink)
    changing the tempo in MC will NOT affect the tempo of an imported wave file.  it will only change the tempo of the click track.  

so you can look for a drum beat of 88 and that would be the easiest solution

OR, since MC does not have a wave file tempo editor.  what I do in cases like this, is that I'll open the wave file or mp3 in Goldwave (a program you can download and use for free).  Goldwave has a function you can use to change the tempo and you can select options to leave the pitch the same or not.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1