ins definition file please help.

Author
MikeBe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2009/12/03 08:08:07 (permalink)

ins definition file please help.

Hi Everybody. A newbie question.
I am using an arranging program which uses cakewalk .ins files to define instruments.
I have a Motif ES rack. When I try to change an instrument of specific channel it gives me an option
to either look in banks or patches. The problem is that all instruments are mixed. Like all the guitars are
mixed with other instruments, basses are mixed etc. In cakewalk you can search by partial name, but my soft only has options banks or patches.
Is there a way to orginize actual .ins file so it displays instruments grouped by instrument type?

Please help.

Thank you,
Mike.

3 Replies Related Threads

leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:ins definition file please help. 2009/12/04 10:38:52 (permalink)
    You can open up the .ins file and edit it using Notepad or any ASCII text editor.  However, if you are trying to do what I *think* you're trying to do, you probably need a synth librarian like MidiQuest.  I think the only way to display categories of instruments in an .ins file would be to physically rearrange the banks and patches in your Motif to be grouped like you want them and then re-create your .ins file based on that arrangement.  Hope that's at least in the ballpark of your question.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    MikeBe
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:ins definition file please help. 2009/12/08 12:45:44 (permalink)
    It appears as though the Cakewalk Patch Browser is sorting the patches by name, which, thanks to Yamaha's patch naming scheme, just happens to sort correctly by instrument as well.  However, your arranging program appears to sort using patch/bank numbers (I'm guessing) instead.  If your arranger program didn't need the bank/patch numbers, then you might be able to get away with creating a separate .ins file without those numbers in front of the names, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the arranger might not be able to find the correct banks/patches if you did that.  You may have to experiment a little and see what does/doesn't work.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1