Smart Loops (or Xpansion) for Session Drummer 2

Author
jlizerbram
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2009/12/11 20:14:38 (permalink)

Smart Loops (or Xpansion) for Session Drummer 2

2 Dumb questions for smart Sonar users out there:

1) I'm interested in expanding SessionDrummer2 to include the midi drum loops volumes 3 through 5 from SmartLoops.  How are these installed?  Is it a setup.exe or are there manual ways to copy the midi loops? 
2)  I'm also interested in expanding the drum sounds using the SFZ Thunder and Hip-Hop Kits.  How are these installed?

I can't seem to find any pre-order documentation for them, and just want to make sure I don't screw up my system.

Thanks.

Sonica Labs (Q6600 Quad Core, 8GB, 500GB OS, 500 GB Audio, 500 GB Samples, 2TB Backup) 
Windows 8.1 Enterprise
2X Presonus Firestudio Projects, daisy-chained, using Universal Driver 1.7
Sonar Platinum
M-Audio Oxygen 88, Lots of EastWest using Play 4.2

3 Replies Related Threads

leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Smart Loops (or Xpansion) for Session Drummer 2 2009/12/12 15:50:35 (permalink)
    It's been a while since I ordered anything from SmartLoops, but when I got the Reference Kit from them it came in a .zip file.  After unzipping, the main folder had some .sfz definition files in them, along with a number of sub-folders that contained the various drum content.  All I had to do was copy the files to the appropriate Cakewalk/VstPlugins/Session Drummer 2/Contents folders and I was good to go.  The .sfz files I mentioned above went to the Kits folder, and all the other files went into the Kits/Bass Drums, Kits/Snares, Kits/Hats, etc. folders.  Take a look at how the Session Drummer 2 folder is set up before you start copying so you have a good understanding of how things are arranged, but it's really pretty simple.  They also included a .pdf file with some instructions, but the instructions didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense at the time ... maybe they upgraded them or I was just dense that day.

Any MIDI patterns that you might order could go in the Cakewalk/VstPlugins/Session Drummer 2/Contents/Patterns folder, or I believe you can put them wherever you want to and reference them from inside Session Drummer - it's been a while since I've used it, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

You also mentioned the Midi Drum Loop volumes, which I don't know anything about, but if they are just straight loops in .wav format then *I think* you would have to set up .sfz definitions to use them in Session Drummer.  However, you can also put loops wherever you want on your system and use the Loop Explorer in Sonar to grab them and play them.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    jlizerbram
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Smart Loops (or Xpansion) for Session Drummer 2 2009/12/12 20:30:32 (permalink)
    You also mentioned the Midi Drum Loop volumes, which I don't know anything about, but if they are just straight loops in .wav format then *I think* you would have to set up .sfz definitions to use them in Session Drummer. However, you can also put loops wherever you want on your system and use the Loop Explorer in Sonar to grab them and play them.

Thanks Leapinlizard,

Sounds like it's pretty straightforward.  As far as the midi drum loops products, I believe in Sonar 8 you get the first two volumes.  These are just standard .mid files that you load into session drummer as patterns.   They have all the grooves, fills, etc.  The volumes 3-5 have really great patterns in there that I haven't heard before, and might be useful for my lack of drumming skills! 

Thanks again.

Sonica Labs (Q6600 Quad Core, 8GB, 500GB OS, 500 GB Audio, 500 GB Samples, 2TB Backup) 
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
    2X Presonus Firestudio Projects, daisy-chained, using Universal Driver 1.7
    Sonar Platinum
    M-Audio Oxygen 88, Lots of EastWest using Play 4.2

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Smart Loops (or Xpansion) for Session Drummer 2 2009/12/13 01:01:26 (permalink)
    jlizerbram

Sounds like it's pretty straightforward.  As far as the midi drum loops products, I believe in Sonar 8 you get the first two volumes.  These are just standard .mid files that you load into session drummer as patterns.   They have all the grooves, fills, etc.  The volumes 3-5 have really great patterns in there that I haven't heard before, and might be useful for my lack of drumming skills! 

Thanks again.
    You may also want to check out midi loops by Groove Monkey and the Toontrack Monster Midi packs.

Go to  http://www.groovemonkee.com/home/  and you will find some free samples. You can get the Groove Monkey loops from the Cakewalk shop too but I am only seeing two of the packs there.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2009/12/13 01:04:34

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1