Author
angelo_maci
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
2010/02/06 06:19:44 (permalink)

simple question about Dimension PRO

hi
I would like to know if Dimension Pro is a multitibral instruments that is:
have I to load a new instance of Dimension for every midi channel I have to play?
thanks in advance

2 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    Re:simple question about Dimension PRO 2010/02/06 12:42:49 (permalink)
    Dim Pro will support up to 4 incoming midi channels, which can then trigger one each of it's 4 elements.
    In that sense, it's multitembral.

However, on output, the 4 elements cannot have individual audio outputs, and I think (if I remember correctly) that each of the 4 elements still are merged at the master output stage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

This is different than say... something like Kontakt or SampleTank. They can accept multiple midi channels that both trigger individual parts AS WELL AS have each part assigned to a separate audio output for processing.

To understand the difference, take this example:
    In Kontakt, if I have part/channel 1 triggering a bass, and part/channel 2 triggering a drum kick, I can output the bass to one bus, and the drum kick to another bus, and process them completely differently... different EQ, different compressor, etc.
    But I can't do this with Dim Pro under the same scenario. The bass and the kick will be on the singular output. My bass and my drum kick will have the same EQ, same compressor, etc... which in that case isn't likely what you'd want to do.

You can, however, use multiple midi channels to trigger a layer of its elements in fun and very musical ways... a pad with a sustained midi note from start to end of its channel, with a tinny hit of quarter notes thrown in periodically. That sort of thing.

Take care,
    - zevo
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:simple question about Dimension PRO 2010/02/08 18:18:18 (permalink)
    Additionally, some of Dimension Pro's "factory" programs blend more than one element in different ways and are not designed to be played via multitimbral mode.

I suggest loading a new instance for each track, unless you are reaching for some effect that utilizes the multimbral mode of Dimension.  Multiple instances of Dimension share multi-sample RAM so it is efficient in terms of memory utilization.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1