Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro

Author
vendredi
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2010/02/07 21:53:06 (permalink)

Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro

I'm having a problem with Dimension Pro's strings and pads slowly increasing their volume while played continuously.  (For instance, if I play a Dm chord on my controller keyboard with Cellos Expressivo, the volume of the strings rises slowly and increases while I keep pressing down on the keys.) 

I have recreated the envelope nodes so the attack is immediate, with a sustain node at a lower point, and I have removed any other effects, but the problem persists. 

Is this just a characteristic of the raw wav file itself?  Or is there some other setting that I am overlooking?  My desired output is a strings or pads sound that is played at a constant volume level.

Appreciate any help.

Sonar Producer 8.3.1
Dell Studio XPS 8100/Intel Core i7-860 2.80Ghz
8GB RAM/Windows 7 64 bit
Edirol FA-66 Audio Interface
Alesis QS8/Yamaha Clavinova

5 Replies Related Threads

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro 2010/02/08 01:03:56 (permalink)
    They don't do that on any of mine--not that I've noticed, anyway.

Do you have any effects on the track? A compressor could do something like this. I mistakenly left a reverb plug-in on my sound card's outputs one time, after a test. It didn't appear in SONAR (of course), but it still affected the sound coming out of the sound card.

Which string and pad patches have this problem...or is it all of them? Does it happen even if you load the "Normal" (or any, unmodified) template in SONAR?

Steve

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    vendredi
    Re:Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro 2010/02/08 22:02:19 (permalink)
    I'm using a normal template without any effects added.  The string patch is Cellos Espressivo Vel 1, and the pads are Warm String Pad 01, which coincidentally use a cellos espressivo wav file.  Could this rising crescendo simply be a component the espressivo type of sound?

Sonar Producer 8.3.1
    8GB RAM/Windows 7 64 bit
    planetearth
    Re:Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro 2010/02/08 23:42:00 (permalink)
    Yes, I believe that's what you're hearing.

The "Cellos Espressivo" patch does the same thing on mine, and it's because of the way it's set up. It has a slow attack, and it builds and gets louder. You'll notice all of the "Cello Espressivo" patches have "mw" in the name of the patch. This allows you to adjust the attack for a slightly faster or slower attack with the modulation wheel. Unfortunately, the patch itself still builds a bit, but you can moderate it somewhat with the mod wheel.

It appears the only way to keep the level consistent is to alter the AMP envelope, as you're already aware. I found that lowering the amplitude overall (the purple-ish line in the envelope) can help. (By default, it's at "1". Drop it to ".5" or so.) Another thing you could try is to change the "Amplitude Eg Velocity" and "Depth" settings. Crank the "Eg Velocity" to 100%, drop the "Depth" to around 50 or so, and turn on the limiter. That levels everything out, too! (I'm only half-serious about this suggestion.)

Another option is to use a different patch, like "Cellos Legato". It has a faster attack and a more "level" amp envelope. If you smooth out the attack a bit, you might just find the sound you want.

Hope that helps.

Steve
    post edited by planetearth - 2010/02/09 00:00:53

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    vendredi
    Re:Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro 2010/02/09 08:20:03 (permalink)
    Steve - thanks for your help.  Your explanation and tips make a lot of sense.  I appreciate it!

Sonar Producer 8.3.1
    8GB RAM/Windows 7 64 bit
    planetearth
    Re:Probably a stupid question about Dimension Pro 2010/02/09 11:34:38 (permalink)
    Any time!

And thanks for giving me a reason to poke around in those string patches in Dimension--I came up with some interesting stuff last night!

Steve

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1