MIDI data glitch with soft synths

Author
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
2010/02/08 17:55:40 (permalink)

MIDI data glitch with soft synths

Hi everyone,

I have a situation where an Sfz file loaded into any software synth refuses to respond to CC Modulation and RPN Tuning data. Pitch bend responds but acts goofy in some spots.

Here's what I did:

1. Create MIDI note and controller data in track 6
2. Assign loaded Soundfont to track 6

*All works as expected

3. Create Sfz file from soundfont using SFZed
4. Insert new software synth (DimensionLE, RaptureLE & Drop Zone)
5. Load new Sfz file into synth
6. Assign track 6 to synth

*Sound plays and responds to pitch data but not modulation, volume, or tuning data

Is this normal?

Since my laptop cannot use soundfonts I would like to convert them all to Sfz files except for this issue and the fact that the softsynth sound seems to loose some quality over the actual soundfont.

Thanks for any help!

2 Replies Related Threads

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:MIDI data glitch with soft synths 2010/02/10 16:13:55 (permalink)
    Hi Soens,

Unfortunately, soft synths, and even some hardware synths, don't all implement all cc responses.

Sound fonts can be limitted too. And yes, conversions are not always 1 to 1.

Depends on what you are doing, there is such a thing as the "sound engine" of a Synth.

One with a good powerful engine, and free, is Proteus VX, it comes with many useable sounds, plus they can be tweeked, etc.

Not too simple, but does have a lot of features, and does not have many of the limitations that sond fonts or variants have.

The other thing is tht many of the simpler synths don't seem to have  much technical documentation available, for instance the "MIDI implementation chart"   would answer many questions, but where is it?

In brief, some of the things you encounter, like no response to "tuning" may be that it is not implemented, same for Pitch Bend, which usually does some, but not too much, or not too well. Remember tht soundfonts and what you derive from them is limitted. Interpolation can't do perfect, or lacking, when the data is not there.

But, could be something else, of course, but what I mention is based on being through some of that, and also is based on the minimum information that you post.

Just some thoughts, basically.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:MIDI data glitch with soft synths 2010/02/10 23:52:02 (permalink)
    soens

Since my laptop cannot use soundfonts

Why????

You should be able to load SFZ as a soft synth in Sonar and play you soundfonts. It's part of 8.5 Producer.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1