Helpful ReplyAbsolute NewBee to VST

Author
willard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/02/08 23:05:52 (permalink)

Absolute NewBee to VST

I am trying to use VST within Midi Maestro 4.0  (A sequencing program similar to calkwalk stuff)

At this point I've NO interest in programming (later on yes).    I simply want to use the sounds associated with Garritan and run them thru MM4.  Its not happening. 

I suspect that I am not using Dim Pro correctly.  I found the documentation difficult to say the least.  Any help or direction to a site to better understand the program appreciated.

willard
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 02:47:30 (permalink)
Do you have any VSTi working in Midi Maestro? Is the problem limited to Dimension Pro?

I had not heard of MM4 before, I checked the website fo see what you were using. They have a support forum http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/midimaestro/ You may get answers there.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
willard
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 11:40:20 (permalink)
This is my first venture into VST.  Took me forever to discover that there is no executable to start the program!!!! :>)  I accidently double clicked the VST sign in MM4 and Dim pro miraculously appeared.

When I'm in MM4 I've gotten everything to look like it did when I use the hardware synths, but no sound.  That is why I suspect its my lack of knowledge of VST.  I thought that it best to try to get answers on Dim pro since it is where I have NO experience!

I loaded a string program in dim pro, selected a channel in MM4 and output port (actually MM 4 selected that) and no sound.  Frankly, I'm not sure of how to get a sound out of Dim pro since I am not using any of the newest software from cakewalk.

The software manual is so cryptic as to be all but useless to newbees.  Additionally, there aren't any tutorials included, nor have I found one on the web.

Willard
Glyn Barnes
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 22:11:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I think your issue is in how to use VSTi's in MM4, not with how to use Dim Pro it's self. It sounds like either the audio routing is not set up properly or you have not connected your midi in to Dim Pro. I have no idea how you do that in MM4.

Do you have any audio coming out of MM4, for example have you been recording your hardware synths as Audio in MM4, does this play?

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
willard
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 22:39:15 (permalink)
I appreciate your interest in getting on the right track.  Thank you very much.  You are quite correct, the VST technology is appearing to be beyond my learning curve.

I figured out my problem with the sound.  My amp was set too low for the first sample I tried.  It didn't occur to me to try another sound.  Consequently my question was way off base.

However, now that I am getting somewhere I have another question.  I am more interested in playing back than "sampling" at this time.  I arrange vocal music and want to have "interesting" orch backgrds for my students - sometimes combined w/ my piano in performance.  The Garritan (earlier my proteus 1 and 2) satisfied my desires.  Now that I'm older, I thought it would be easier to carry around a laptop in lieu of all the hardware - thus the VST venture.

I experimented a lot today w? Dim Pro in MM4.  I haven't been able to figure out how to:

1.  get Dim Pro to make sounds on channels beyond 1 thru 4.

2.  get dim pro to have more than 1 instance.  Altho even that might work since I still want more than 4 channels.

Thanks again.

Willard
Glyn Barnes
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 22:51:46 (permalink)
Ah, the volume of the amp. Its usually the simple things that trip one up

As you have found Dim Pro is not multitimberal so you need a separate instance for each sound. I think you are moving in the right direction, keep on experimenting and you will get there.

In Sonar, (it may be different in MM4) each instance has its own track and each instance is in effect its own midi out, so you are limited not by the number of midi channels but by the number of instances of DIM pro you host and hardware will let you use, I have run at least dozen instances on Dim Pro, plus several other VSTis without encountering problems, but my system is quite powerful.

willard
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 22:58:50 (permalink)
How do you get a new instance in Sonar?  Do you click on the track or thru Dim Pro?

I read something tonight about adding groove tracks and a "midi" icon would appear.  I don't see anything like a midi Icon.  I have ver 1.2  So it might need an update  I'll go to the site.  I will also go the mm4 support to try to get an answer.

Once again thanks,
Willard
Glyn Barnes
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 23:30:39 (permalink)
willard

How do you get a new instance in Sonar?  Do you click on the track or thru Dim Pro?

You insert another in the synth rack, or but clicking softsynth in the "insert" menu. Its exactly the same as the way you insert the first one.

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/09 23:43:23 (permalink)
In sonar you "insert" a new synth or use a virtual rack to "insert."

In DimPro, when you bring up certain programs that have a midi sequence associated with that program (an icon will appear in near the program name).  Simply drag it into your midi track to play.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
willard
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/12 20:16:05 (permalink)
thanks AT for your respnse.  (i'm typing one fingered, since i had an operation on my elbow wednesday).  i'm still not getting "multiple"  instances of DimPro.  i'm able to have 4 sounds eminate from the instance i get, but its not near enough.  i have been experimentung by starting with one track and adding more.  maybe i need to load a song w/ more than four tracks?

thanks again.
Glyn Barnes
Re:Absolute NewBee to VST 2010/02/12 23:15:36 (permalink)
willard

thanks AT for your respnse.  (i'm typing one fingered, since i had an operation on my elbow wednesday).  i'm still not getting "multiple"  instances of DimPro.  i'm able to have 4 sounds eminate from the instance i get, but its not near enough.  i have been experimentung by starting with one track and adding more.  maybe i need to load a song w/ more than four tracks?

thanks again.

What you are seeing the four elements in Dim Pro, its not recomended that you do it this way as a lot of patches need more than one element. May be you need somthing like this to guide you http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cakewalk-Synthesizers-Presets-Power-Preset/dp/1598633147/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266034295&sr=8-10

I don't know anything about Midi Meastro but you will need a seperate track for each instance of DIM pro.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1