Do I need to install Sonar VS

Author
Alan T
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2010/03/16 09:08:41 (permalink)

Do I need to install Sonar VS

Hello

I have just installed my shiny new VS-100. I had no problems installing the XP drivers and VS-100 hardware and it is working fine as a USB audio interface and ACT control surface for Sonar Studio 8.5.2 and my VST plug-ins. I think the build quality is excellent for this equipment price break.

Can someone please advise me whether I have to install Sonar VS, supplied with the VS-100, in order to fully control the unit or, - as appears to be the case - this can all be done from the VS-100 Utility menu and Sonar Studio 8.5.2. I don't want to install un-necessary software on my audio workstation.

Many thanks

Alan T

Magic MIDI Music Company

"The only good composer is a dead composer"

6 Replies Related Threads

My name is Earl
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2010/03/16 10:46:17 (permalink)
    Hi Alan
    I can only give you my uneducated opinion, as a new user.
    I was using Home Studio, then installed the drivers, connected up etc. It worked, but not very well. Quite dissappointed at that point thought I might have bought a turkey! You know that sinking feeling!
    I didn't actually realise that VS was separate software. When it eventually dawned on me (if in doubt read the instructions) I installed VS......then........Bingo!.....full functionality, very smooth operation, everything working = Happy Bunny!
    I havn't noticed any difference between VS and Home Studio...they seem very similar. There may be more differences between the version of Sonar that you are using.
    So, a direct answer to your question:
    Sonar VS + VS-100 = made for each other!......give it a go!

Best of luck
    Stuart
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2010/03/16 12:37:16 (permalink)
    Alan,  there's no reason to install Sonar VS if you have Sonar 8.5.2.  I'm running 8.5.3 on my desktop and VS on a laptop. 

The VS-100 has a control surface DLL that I'm pretty sure was included with the 8.5.2 upgrade.  (I know the 64 bit version was.  Not sure about the 32 bit version.)

Of course you'll have to add the VS-100 to Sonar's control surface list.

Sonar 8PE & VS, Presonus Firestudio, VS-100, AlphaTrack, Nord Stage Compact, Roland Sonic Cell,  Axiom 49, dbx 386, Event TR-8's, Kawai 650, ...
    Alan T
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2010/03/16 14:11:36 (permalink)
    Hello MurMan

Thank you for confirming I don't need to install Sonar VS to fully utilize the VS-100's capabilities through Sonar Studio 8.5.2.

I can confirm that Sonar Studio 8.5.2 does include the control surface DLL. I have added the VS-100 to Sonar Studio's control surface list and the VS-100 Transport and ACT control sections are working fine. 
    I have now also found the VS-100 properties page GUI that appears in the Sonar Studio - Tools menu. This is the type of VS-100 setup option that I thought I would be missing if I didn't install Sonar VS.  The properties page GUI is only briefly mentioned on page 24 in the VS-100 Hardware Manual and I must have flicked past it first time round!

You say you use Sonar VS on a laptop, I guess for working away from your main workstation? I was hoping to do the same thing. If you have time, could you advise me on what spec of laptop you have found is required, in particular what size of built in display is required to effectively use the Sonar VS GUI.

Many Thanks

Alan T
    post edited by Alan T - 2010/03/16 14:15:22

Magic MIDI Music Company

"The only good composer is a dead composer"
    robhome
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2011/08/28 12:10:06 (permalink)
      Hello MurMan I Moved to greece, crete and set up my laptop and my v-100 Some of my boxes got lost while moving to crete. and i cant find my cd\DvD that came with to v-100. I tried an old copy cakewalk studio 6, but no go here!! Could you help me out here with this DvD Sonar VS, supplied with the VS-100 I Loved that version and it run perfect. The drivers i found on the roland website! lucky me Need your help Roberto
    robhome
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2011/08/28 12:12:23 (permalink)
      Hello Alan T I Moved to greece, crete and set up my laptop and my v-100 Some of my boxes got lost while moving to crete. and i cant find my cd\DvD that came with to v-100. I tried an old copy cakewalk studio 6, but no go here!! Could you help me out here with this DvD Sonar VS, supplied with the VS-100 I Loved that version and it run perfect. The drivers i found on the roland website! lucky me Need your help Roberto
    kc2ine
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:Do I need to install Sonar VS 2011/08/28 12:49:15 (permalink)
    robhome

Hello Alan T I Moved to greece, crete and set up my laptop and my v-100 Some of my boxes got lost while moving to crete. and i cant find my cd\DvD that came with to v-100. I tried an old copy cakewalk studio 6, but no go here!! Could you help me out here with this DvD Sonar VS, supplied with the VS-100 I Loved that version and it run perfect. The drivers i found on the roland website! lucky me Need your help Roberto

email roland support, they can send you a copy.

V-Studio 100, Sony VAIO i7 2.93GHz/ 8GB RAM, Pianoteq, Sonar X1 Studio, ezDrummer, Macbook Pro, Roland RD700GX stage piano, Yamaha Motif XS6 workstation, Rode NT-1A, AKG Perception 220 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1